What's new

Arko smell?

With the arko puck being discontinued it just too sad to talk about urinal pucks..

Srs I'm gonna buy some arko now.

Acctually there's a building I used to pass on my way to work called the "Arko building" stopped once, looked around and there wasn't a stick in the joint!

If I don't use Arko for a while I find the first shave scent to be undesirable. Then the second day, I like it. After a few more days I barely smell it and start missing it. This is all with a stick that is over a year old.

Don't give second thoughts on Arko guys. I have two sticks coming soon. It seems I will need to shave outdoors based on the general th out on the scent.

Arko much to my dismay the only soap scent i've had revisit during the day, long after the shave was completed.

Arko to say the least, a very polarizing scent... i will re-order Tabac.

dave

Arko. Love the price, acceptable performance, idiot proof to lather, strongly dislike the smell. Overcome smell by always using and leaving it uncovered in a open dish, always air out next stick to use in storage room before use, and storing soap stick stock in a freezer strength, Ziplock bag. Result, scent is mild so doesn't bother me anymore.

$P5262183.jpg

I spent time in Turkey as a young man and did make a not-long-ago return visit. I knew the smell of very basic products that exist on the tail end of a centuries-long bathhouse tradition. I went into the Arko thing knowing what was coming, and already conditioned to appreciate and enjoy it. I now believe that if you are not so conditioned at the outset, you may never come to like the Arko smell. It is not "mall stuff" and never will be, that much is certain.

If you are sensitive to Arko I suggest you refrain from entering the same hemisphere where Tabac resides.

I think Arko smells like Ivory soap with a hint of citrus. Fresh and clean like soap should be.

I like Tabac, Arko is just ok to me once the initial manufacturing residue scent has dissipated. I don't mind the citrus base but there is some really nasty undertone scent I've noticed in some fresh (ok that's an oxymoron :laugh:) sticks. I seem to remember Tony mentioning that it might be a clay scent from the manufacturing process but it fades rather quickly.

Smells like Ivory soap to me. I like it, but there are other soaps' performance that I prefer.

It's interesting that a lot of people use Ivory as a basis for saying something smells like soap, even though Ivory is perfumed and actually doesn't smell like raw soap. Valobra unscented is what a tallow soap really smells like.

I got puck about 2 months ago used it three times! Lathers super easy with the hard water here but the smell is something else. That school bathroom soap smell I hadn't even thought of but I agree !

I like the clean, citrusy "soapy" smell of Arko
I've read some good descriptions too - "Airplane bathroom" is probably the funniest !!

Derby shaving sticks, also made in Turkey have a very similar scent to Arko, but a bit more subtle

They also perform very similarly to Arko

Don't give second thoughts on Arko guys. I have two sticks coming soon. It seems I will need to shave outdoors based on the general th out on the scent.

+1. Shaving outdoors would be a good plan. LOTH here will not let Arko in the house!

The best part about Arko is that its is soft enough a soap that I can easily thread a wired coat hanger through it and let it do double duty as a redneck outhouse deodorizer! :lol:

Here is what I've done.

1. chop up the stick into a bunch of small bits with a knife.

2. Splash several drops of several different essential oils that I like.

3. Squash it all together so it's well mixed.

4. Push it into a bowl and lather

5. Enjoy!

I used cedar and assorted citrus fruit oils. Completely masked the smell! I personally like the arko smell. But it's cheap enough that I wanted to use it and try something new.

Top Bottom