What's new

arko shave soap.

I used creams almost exclusively for the first couple of years that I was wet shaving. I tried a couple of soaps, but they didn't work well for me. I ended up getting a stick of Arko thrown in free when I bought 100 Derby blades. I was blown away with the performance, and since then, I've used soaps at least 90% of the time. While I've subsequently found a handful of other excellent soaps, Arko remains a regular part of my rotation, and I'll always have a soft spot for my "gateway" soap.

Arko is the only thing I've been using for weeks now. My other soaps and creams are good, I'm just using up some stuff before I buy more. Arko has been treating me real nice.

Arko is one of the better performing shave sticks.

Give Tabac shave stick a run. It will surprise you. I prefer Tabac stick over the puck in a jar.

Arko is good stuff! I bought 4 dozen arko last Fall and I have gifted almost half of it away to newbies or old timers who do not do mail order and for the most part they love Arko. Glad you are enjoying Arko too!

Arko Shaving Soap was the 1st soap I bought just over 18 months ago when I got into DE shaving. It replaced the knackered Crabtree & Evelyn Sandalwood Shaving Bowl that finally gave up the ghost after 15 years.
I thought the red plastic container looked pretty cool, so I pulled the trigger, loved it and used it regularly ever since.
I got a puck included with my Turkish hammered copper shaving mug. I gave the puck to my 84 yo Dad last month for Father's Day - he likes it !!
It isn't necessarily my go to soap, but it will always be in my rotation - when the pucks run out, I'll top them up with grated sticks.

If you like Arko, you'll love Derby - I bought a box of 12 Derby Shaving Sticks on eBay recently. It's harder than Arko, but performs the same and has a stronger scent which doesn't fade.
I grated and mashed 2 sticks into a stainless steel bowl that was gathering dust
$20160709_092028.jpg$20160709_092017.jpg

I have tried other soaps, creams, croaps. Even added creams to my soaps.
But I keep coming back to Arko. They make great products.

I had my first shave with it. I haven't used a shave stick before. I didn't have quite enough soap on my face, but I still had a pretty good lather. Nothing amazing. (I want to cut it up into an empty tub.) But all in all it worked well enough. And it was very easy to lather, I really like it. It's simple, but works.

So............ I know some of you hate that start to a post but.............

Rather than starting another endless Arko thread, I decided to jump in on the first one I found...

I shredded my Arko stick into an OS mug and used it today for the first time.

Boar brush instead of my WD Synth... because it's taller and doesn't clank on the mug

Good lather with a fair amount of water. Dipped the brush in the soaking water probably 6 times. Not yogurt but acceptable.

Nice glide and a very smooth 2-4 pass shave with a Schick Adj on 4.5....
Cheeks are BBS (4 pass), jaw and neck DFS (WTG and ATG) but I'm feeling a bit of burn on the jaw and have redness on my chin.

It might be the brush since it is a rather harsh boar. Tomorrow I'll skip a shave and Tuesday I'll go Synthetic again to see what happens.

Scent is okay; neither UP or BH.

$0.02

LOVE Arko. It is one of my go-to soaps. Especially when I want to test other variables and keep the soap variable the same. As to the scent, I have grown to really like the scent of Arko. I know my two year old enjoys the scent as well when he 'shaves'. :thumbup1:

Was getting somewhat bored with creams so I recently purchased some Arko and shredded it into a shave bowl. It makes a nice slick lather and I don't mind the "Ivory Soap on steroids" smell.

For the price and the longevity you get from a stick it is one of if not the best bang for the buck shave products out there.

It smells like Ivory soap to me as well. I don't see a scent problem with Arko at all. All I can figure out is that some people are born with super sensitive noses.

Top Bottom