What's new

arko shave soap.

is a better performer than some of their more expensive shave soaps? I've only used it a few times, but the scent for me has died down considerably. I am actually starting to enjoy it more. The scent that is.

Legion

Staff member
Yep, Arko is one of the only two soaps I use now, and the other one (Euro Palmolive) is equally inexpensive.

Arko was the 1st soap I bought when I got into DE shaving more than 18 months ago - I still use it as part of my rotation
I gave a puck of Arko to my 84 year old Dad on Father's Day - he liked it

I loved Arko until I started using Williams and found that it works better, way better. I'm kinda bummed because I have a lot of Arko.

I get awesome shaves with it but it's really not that great in my hands. I get a better lather from Palmolive but more slickness from Arko. It's a cheap soap that does what it's made to do...nothing more...nothing less. I wouldn't trade Arko for Cella, Razorock or even Proraso in 1,000,000 years though. Arko is actually more expensive/ounce that a lot of better soap makers. But hey, the guy on the wrapper looks cool :thumbup:

do people find that you get better results with arko when you rub it on your face against the grain rather than just rubbing down?

I could have saved a ton of money if I had of not bothered trying more expensive soaps/creams and stuck with ARKO. So, yes I think it performs well above it's price point might indicate for me.

Bob

I've been an Arko "fan boy" so much that I've been called out for it.

HEY.... what can I say.... ARKO ROCKS :001_smile

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Arko is a good soap in my books but not enough to call it great. If you are strictly looking at it from a price point of view, yep, that one is amazing. If you look at the lather+scent, then no, it's not on top of my list.

I adore Arko. It is dirt cheep in bulk, and can generally be found for under $13/900g (12 sticks) shipped. I think it is a solid 7.5 on the performance scale. Inexpensive, gives a good shave, and smells clean. I do occasionally find it a touch drying.

It also performs well as the soap part of an uberlather. My current favorite is Arko + Proraso Green (tube) + few drops of glycerin. Great scent and performance.

I loved Arko until I started using Williams and found that it works better, way better. I'm kinda bummed because I have a lot of Arko.

I've not experienced the performance that others here rave about. I'm a long-time Williams user. When I got around to trying Arko, I was unable to get the same slick lather from it that I got from Williams. Not giving up. My first half stick was grated into a soap mug. I will use the remaining half stick as intended, by rubbing the soap on my face.

Arko is a good soap in my books but not enough to call it great. If you are strictly looking at it from a price point of view, yep, that one is amazing. If you look at the lather+scent, then no, it's not on top of my list.

Agreed. I only use Arko when I travel since I stuck it in a plastic tube for that purpose. There are just too many great soaps for just a bit more money and plus I like some variety in my daily shave.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Best cheap soap on the planet!

I sometimes wonder if my premium soaps are really 10-20+ times better.

Top Bottom