What's new

April 2014 Acquisitions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of what I got for April...

$April pick-ups.jpg

I returned Tuesday night from a 10-day trip to Switzerland to visit my elderly in-laws. I managed to grab a few things while I was there...some Speick shave cream and a Speick shave stick, three bottles of Swiss Pitralon (my all-time favorite aftershave splash), a bottle of Pitralon Polar aftershave (haven't tried it yet, but it looks promising), and a couple of bottle of Pelikan Blue-Black Fountain Pen Ink (this particular color is not available in the U.S. due to a restricted ingredient).

$IMG_1419.jpg

Not shown is another Speick product. I thought I was grabbing a bottle of aftershave, but in my rush, I picked up a bottle of Speick Pre Electric Shave Lotion! Needless to say, I don't use an electric razor...in fact the reason I switched to wet shaving with a DE was the lousy shaves I was getting with an electric whisker-whacker. I'll probably end up getting rid of the pre-shave in a PIF sometime soon. If it's Speick, I'm sure it's good stuff, but just not for me!

Today, I purchased two shaving items at a downtown Garland antique shop. I found what I believe is a Gillette Super Speed razor (1946 or 1947) for $6.00. The razor is shown after my initial cleaning efforts. I will try it out tomorrow with my last PolSilver blade from sample pack.

The shaving mug, which the proprietor said was made in Czechoslovakia around 1929, went for $12.95. Now, I need to find some soap and a brush for the new mug! That shouldn't be two hard since my wife and I are going out to breakfast tomorrow morning. There are three antique stores on the street next to our restaurant!.

Last edited:
I picked up this Gillette razor (to the right of my EJ DE89) at a local antique shop for $7 AUD. What a bargain and it is in great condition. Wondering if any Gillette guru could hone in on the model/year of this little razor. It is also stamped, Made in England.

$20140419_133126.jpg$20140419_133158.jpg

I picked up this Gillette razor (to the right of my EJ DE89) at a local antique shop for $7 AUD. What a bargain and it is in great condition. Wondering if any Gillette guru could hone in on the model/year of this little razor. It is also stamped, Made in England.

View attachment 438068View attachment 438069

Looks almost identical to the one I picked up this morning (on the left). Not sure what it is, and can't make out any date stamps/etc til I clean it up. Looks like the main difference between yours and mine is that the cut-outs under the head of mine are triangular. I'm sure one of the more knowledgable gents here can tell us what we've got.

View attachment 438240

I found an old bottle of Old Spice and two straights today. The frame back is interesting. I have never seen a wostenholm like it.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 276
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 274
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 277

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Recent eBay shaving mug binge. I do not lather in them as I am a face latherer, but I do soak my Simpson Tulip 1 in them as I strop my Heljestrands. I like the classic look of the Gold in these. The history behind them would be interesting. I really like the old "numbered" mugs that were utilized by Barbershops and Hotels for out of town visitors. These are all Limoges France produced and likely were sold through Barber Supply house in the late 1890's -1910 like Koken and Theo. Kochs.

Attachments

• $010.jpg
    $010.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 231
I managed to get my hands on a few things last week..

Thayers from Amazon.

Two types of African black soap, natural one (just on the right), and the commercial one.

A few freebies of the Hilton bath soap.

my latest order from Stirling. Only samples this time, plus a few bath soaps.

Finally, some Barbon cream from Hungary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom