What's new

Anyone Read Comics?

You MUST read the Killing Joke. That and The Dark Knight Rises are probably the two best Batman comics, in my opinion.
Yep, these are hands down the two best Batman titles (assuming you meant Dark Knight Returns). I liked Batman Year One and What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader, but they don't hold a candle to the Moore and Miller books.

I've been reading The Walking Dead since it came out. It's had ups and downs, but I'm still subscribed and just as hooked as ever to see what's in store for Rick et al.

More graphic novel than comics, but I'm a huge Chris Ware fan. Maus by Art Spiegelman is a must read. Harlem Hellfighters is a great graphic novel based on the real life WWI African-American 369 Infantry Regiment.

Yep, these are hands down the two best Batman titles (assuming you meant Dark Knight Returns). I liked Batman Year One and What Ever Happened to the Caped Crusader, but they don't hold a candle to the Moore and Miller books.

I've been reading The Walking Dead since it came out. It's had ups and downs, but I'm still subscribed and just as hooked as ever to see what's in store for Rick et al.

More graphic novel than comics, but I'm a huge Chris Ware fan. Maus by Art Spiegelman is a must read. Harlem Hellfighters is a great graphic novel based on the real life WWI African-American 369 Infantry Regiment.

Thanks for catching my misprint. That's the one I meant for sure [emoji106]

Star Wars new series. In Darth Vader #3 this week the first appearance of Alpha. The last time a new character was introduced I belive was 1986. If you can find one at cover price, grab it.
And teenage mutant ninja turtles #44, we'll let's just say Donatello will never be the same. Lol

Last edited:
I loved growing up in the Silver Age of comics (50's/60's) & had a ton of DC & EC comics. No idea what happened to those, but I will occasionally buy & read a DC Archive hardcover edition of (Silver Age) Adam Strange, Flash or Green Lantern. I can't make heads or tails out of the new ones.

I grew up in the Golden Age of comics (40s/50s)! Truly enjoy Donald Duck and Scrooge McDuck! Passed the tradition (and most of the comics) on to my son! Afraid that action comics never caught on with me.

I appreciate what those old comics started, but I'm way more in to the darkness and noir that came with Moore and the like. The 80's to present is where it's at for me.

I definitely recommend reading V for Vendetta, Dracula vs King Arthur, Dracula vs Apocalypse, Watchmen, The Killing Joke, 300, Sin City, Gargoyles, Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness and the Civil War storyline by Marvel. Other comics you should read imho are the Marvel Ultimatum storyline and Injustice: Gods among us by DC which is ongoing.
If you don't mind manga, read the Hellsing series.
Finally, another excellent read is The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck.

Thanks for the recommendations I'll check them out. I didn't know they made a comic of 300.

Great recommendations I will look in them

I don't know if it's the same in your neck of the woods, but my public library system has a great collection of comics and graphic novels. I think it has ended up costing me more than it has saved--I originally though "great, I can read comics and not have to buy" but that morphed into "oh man, I *have* to buy that!"

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Who here reads on a tablet like me?

What is a good app to get the non Marvel/DC comics such as Walking Dead, Chew, and non super hero comics?

What is a good app to get the non Marvel/DC comics such as Walking Dead, Chew, and non super hero comics?
Afaik Amazon has a lot of comics in Kindle format. Other than that, logically on each publisher's site there should be an e shop or a mention at least of where you could buy them in digital formats.

comiXology

I have active subscriptions there and they have sales all the time. But beware, it can stir up th AD pretty quick.

Last edited:

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
comiXology

I have active subscriptions there and they have sales all the time. But beware, it can stir up th AD pretty quick.

I had that but now I can't find it on the App Store for some reason. You can purchase from there right? For the iPad

I like Comic Zeal for reading them too.

I had that but now I can't find it on the App Store for some reason. You can purchase from there right? For the iPad

I like Comic Zeal for reading them too.

It's still there. They changed the purchase process awhile ago. You now have to go to the website and look there. It isn't ideal but helps with the AD IMO.

Used to read, Judge Dredd, Sandman, Groo, The NAM, Elfquest, Batman, TMNT (in black and white), Grimjack, Kamui, Alita Battle Angle, Still read Knights of the Dinner Table, Astro-City, Groo,

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I got The Walking Dead 1-134 today, plus Michone, Gov. and Tyreese specials.
I'll be starting over with that

Starting a Miller I haven't read yet. I've heard good things and am looking forward to it.

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427859072.598831.jpg

You could say I read comics.

$comic box.jpg

first printing Watchmen
first printing V for Vendetta
any one read Moonshadow ?

Top Bottom