What's new

Anyone only use water and alum block as aftershave?

Anyone only use an alum block and water as aftershave? I always shave in the evening and many times I just like to finish my shaves with a few splashes of cold water and some alum to close the pores. Feels great before going to bed.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I have just used just Alum when done shaving, I always rinse after with water 30-60 seconds after applying to rinse the potassium salt off . Never had any issues. I prefer to use 14% alcohol witch hazel after a shave to clean the skin of soap residual and any small weepers.

Yes, indeed. I often do this too. Works great for me. Although maybe later on in the day I may apply some moisturiser as my skin can sometimes get a little dry.

I actually saw Marco mention in the past how that was what his grandfather in Italy had used all his life, I like hearing about ways of the past such as this and I figured I would try the same myself for a while. I have to say, my skin seems to be better since.. haven't had any breakouts or anything.

Sometimes I feel "less is more" when it comes to products. There are times when I like the idea of simplicity in shaving. Just finding a no nonsense soap or cream that works for you like Proraso or Arko, Trumper or Taylor or basically whatever works for you.. then simply just shave.. wash off with water.. rub over with the alum block.. leave it on for maybe 30-60 seconds and then final wash it off with cold water. All done!

I used to use water and alum all the time, but now I use water, pat dry and then apply alcohol free witch hazel.

In the winter I'll put on some moisturizer too since my skin can dry out a bit then. I only use alum on the knicks or weepers now

After rinsing off the lather from my last pass with cold water, I use an Alum block, leaving it on for about a minute while I start cleaning up the sink, etc..Then after rinsing off the Alum, I apply the aftershave or balm that I've chosen that day.
As many have said, there really is no right or wrong procedure when it comes to shaving. It's whatever floats your boat. :cuppa:

Sure ! Cold water and a little alum pass is fine, especially if you're around people that don't appreciate scents. I've been using an alum block as a deodorant for the last 2 years. Dry after shower all but your pits and apply liberally. I typically spray a little Clubman from a mister after that. It does not keep you from perspiring, but keeps you from smelling bad...inhibits the bacteria from multiplying that cause the odor. I pay 1.99 for a big block at the Indian Grocery and it lasts over a year...plus, no questionable additives and chemicals.

Top Bottom