What's new

Anyone here not like the Henson Mild or Moderate -- curious to know why

I had a + (mild) for a very short time, used it sparingly, and sold it.

It shaved OK, but I found that it required (forced) you to shave at a very precise angle. If you moved out of that precise shaving "zone" I found that the razor was very inefficient. At the same time it was very forgiving and wouldn't punish the user for bad technique.

So, for a beginner, it won't cut you easily but still requires meticulous attention to shave angle. Personally, I prefer more tradition geometry.

I am a fan because it works really well. One of my top razors. It clamps the blade well for no blade chatter. It has a tungsten bushing that will reduce wear between handle and base plate. Tungsten is very hard which means its hard to machine. This will increase cost. The chinese clones will not have this. Henson has a lifetime warranty and a 100 day return policy no questions asked.
I have tried all three aggrssions of this razor. I like the medium aggression the best. I did not care for the most aggresive version. I should find a new home for it. My mild is now being used by my wife.

I had the medium and didn't like it. It shaved like a cartridge razor.

The light weight and flat front meant I had to use more pressure than I use with a DE razor. For me pressure is the enemy - the Henson gave me ingrowns, which no traditional DE razor has ever done - avoiding them was the reason I switched to DE in the first place. Now I can appreciate that it was probably user error and I could have adjusted to it given time, but with a den full of traditional razors that are more fun to use and give me better results, why bother?

I can see how folks that are coming from cartridges probably think it's great, but it's not for me and not something I would recommend for anyone with difficult / tough growth who wants to solve their shaving problems by switching to a DE razor. In that scenario, learning to use a traditional design will get you further than the Henson imo.

If cartridges work for you and you just want to save money then by all means, try a Henson. But remember folks, the Henson Mild was originally designed for women to shave their legs!

Edit: I should add that I think it's a fantastically designed and made razor - if they could bring the same manufacturing and machining standards to making something more traditional that might be REALLY interesting. The Henson baseplate is a lot how I picture the razor I would make if I had the design skills and machining know-how to create something myself. Imagine a similar baseplate design, with the blade clamping surfaces and lather channels, but with a slimmer, scalloped safety bar area and a traditional "domed" top cap. Imagine it in brass. :001_tt1:

Last edited:
Henson most definitely is targeting the cartridge razor market. They also do cater to the niche traditional shaving market, but it is not their main focus. When Henson first came to market, they had two models. They had a women and a men’s razor. The men’s I believe was the medium and the mild was the women’s. They soon found out men were using the women’s model as well and dropped these distinctions and went to mild and medium. You can read the Henson’s wiki page for more detail. Henson will make continual changes to their razors without notice. Some B&B members noticed significant change recently and this new version is called version 2 but Henson doesn’t make note of this.

Some shaving enthusiasts were asking Henson for a more aggressive version of the razor. Since this is outside of their cartridge user target market this model is only available from the more niche shaving online retailers. I think they did this to assure a recent cartridge razor user didn’t end up with an aggressive razor. If you wanted this model you would seek it out.

I've had all 3 aluminum Hensons, the mild, medium, and aggressive. I've sold them all.

I eventually sell razors that don't make my top tier. I've also sold my Game Changer(s) and Lupo(s). The Henson, Game Changer, and Lupo are good razors but (for me) do not perform on the same level as my Blackbird(s), Athena, Timeless, Masamune, or in SE my Razorock Hawk(s), or Blackland Vector. Those are my top-tier razors.

Now, on the other hand, my wife has a V1 and V2 AL13 mild and she absolutely loves them. She's tried about a dozen of my razors but nope, the Henson is her top dog.

I don’t think there is a razor that works perfectly for everybody. I am just mentioning the way the mild should be used. If you have to apply any pressure to get a decent shave it is probably not the right razor for you (as you have already experienced).

@Theodore hmm let's start out that I removed the facepalm smiley in order not to alienate you, I found this quite hard to believe. This "as large or slightly larger" thing. I just looked at my Henson and the whole cabinet of other razors. My left cheek sees quite some dry testing lately. Yes, there is a little leeway. Can I go as shallow as with my Chiseled Face Legacy or Wunderbar, or steep as with the Wolfman WR2 clones... just no.

Well, maybe some of the milder vintage Gillettes with little gap, but I seriously challenge Henson's statement there. It is even what their razor is all about, locking in the angle very much.
Well, I don't see why the Henson has to have as much range as every razor ever made, for people to allow that it does have some range of angle. I personally shave steep with mine.

If people feel that the milder Hensons have a smaller angle range, that's not about the shape of the head, that's just the inherently smaller angle range found in milder razors generally. A tech has a small angle range, but you don't hear people complaining that they're being "forced" and "locked in".

I think the reputation Henson has - "they're locking me into an angle" - is undeserved, because all they did was make it easy to find a good angle, without locking you in.

If you have to apply any pressure to get a decent shave it is probably not the right razor for you (as you have already experienced).
Well, the Henson FAQ page implies light pressure is needed (probably for the benefit of those switching from a cartridge razor). For me, light pressure with the mild Henson cut almost no hair at all, and I had to press harder to get it to cut anything. I actually got it for my daughter, who reported the same thing--"this razor doesn't cut." I tried it several shaves and came to the same conclusion. So it's not just me. She is actually very happy with a Parker TTO now.

I agree that a "one right razor for everybody" doesn't exist. If the Henson works well for your face and technique, then by all means, enjoy your Henson!

Also razors can be better with the right blade. For me my go to blade used to be the GSB. In the Henson the GSB shave was good but it felt like it was scrapping. I put in a Gillette Platinum and it is much better it feels like its slicing thru the whiskers. I feel you need to try several different blades to find the best combo. Especially if you want to give up on the razor.

I've tried all sorts of blades in my Hanson Ti +++ and they all deliver a good shave.
Been using mine for almost a month. No complaints...I did switch out the handle to
a Timeless Crown which is a stunning upgrade for me.

I've got a Medium ++ headed to me but in AL so I'll find out how it shaves soon.

For me, light pressure with the mild Henson cut almost no hair at all, and I had to press harder to get it to cut anything.

I agree. Compared to a traditional DE, the Henson needs some pressure (quite a bit, relatively speaking) in order to cut hair and not just slide over the top, snagging as it goes.

If I had persevered I would no doubt have discovered the exact amount of pressure that was enough to shave without being so much it caused problems...but it seemed like that would just be undoing the DE razor technique I have spent years working on, training myself to use a little pressure as possible. This is why I think the Henson is fundamentally different from traditional DE razors in terms of how it shaves, and maxims about good technique that apply for every other razor don't necessary apply to the Henson...which is what they were aiming for. It's a successful design.

I agree. Compared to a traditional DE, the Henson needs some pressure (quite a bit, relatively speaking) in order to cut hair and not just slide over the top, snagging as it goes.

If I had persevered I would no doubt have discovered the exact amount of pressure that was enough to shave without being so much it caused problems...but it seemed like that would just be undoing the DE razor technique I have spent years working on, training myself to use a little pressure as possible. This is why I think the Henson is fundamentally different from traditional DE razors in terms of how it shaves, and maxims about good technique that apply for every other razor don't necessary apply to the Henson...which is what they were aiming for. It's a successful design.
The Henson that responds best to classical DE zero-pressure technique is the TI +++. Expensive, I know, and don't expect a 2011 R41 experience (it's only aggro for a Henson), but it fits that bill the most of the Henson lineup.

My AL13 mild and my Ti22 mild disagree with you :). While with other DE's you allow the weight of the razor and of its head to do their job, typically by holding it "loose", low on the handle, with the Henson if you just hold it "firm" , closer to the middle of the handle, at the right angle, and use very short strokes, with no pressure other than for keeping it in contact with your face, it is extremely effective.
Just my experience from using it daily (and by following some suggestions from other users), I do not have to convince anybody.

My AL13 mild and my Ti22 mild disagree with you :). While with other DE's you allow the weight of the razor and of its head to do their job, typically by holding it "loose", low on the handle, with the Henson if you just hold it "firm" , closer to the middle of the handle, at the right angle, and use very short strokes, with no pressure other than for keeping it in contact with your face, it is extremely effective.
Just my experience from using it daily (and by following some suggestions from other users), I do not have to convince anybody.

Yes, I am sure it works. One of the maxims for using traditional razors is, "Let the weight of the razor do the work". That's what I like to do, but with the Henson you can't because it has no weight. Between the lack of weight and the flat front, you have to supply pressure yourself. It may seem like a small amount of pressure to you, but to me it seemed like quite a lot (relatively speaking). I always think that the Henson looks like a DE razor, takes DE blades, but shaves like something else.

That's probably why I didn't get on with it, but I must have owned around 30 different traditional DE razors in my time and my "traditional" technique worked fine for all of them. As I said, to me Henson feels like cartridge shaving, which is not what I am looking for (it's what I am deliberately getting away from) but if you can make it work then knock yourself out - I am sure you are in a majority.

I wish I liked it...I respect their ethos and what they are doing. I can even see myself buying one again one day and giving it another try, but I realised after owning one for a couple of months that not only was I not using it, I didn't want to use it - it was the opposite of the typical "new razor honeymoon". Different strokes, etc.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I wish I liked it...I respect their ethos and what they are doing. I can even see myself buying one again one day and giving it another try, but I realised after owning one for a couple of months that not only was I not using it, I didn't want to use it - it was the opposite of the typical "new razor honeymoon". Different strokes, etc.
I can relate. I am also in the "heavy head" camp, which is why I don't have many aluminum razors. Ti is better, though still lightweight. The other thing is the handle, but one can change them, after all.

But then, one of the few rather mild razors I enjoyed so far is the Yaqi Mellon (SS version). I usually want a bit more blade. But maybe the Ti +++++++++++++ version will do it for me one day. Maybe they will also come up with another handle till then.

Their design idea seems to be lightweight, though, they didn't bother with stainless steel or brass/bronze so far.

Their design idea seems to be lightweight, though, they didn't bother with stainless steel or brass/bronze so far.

I think brass and a scalloped bar would completely transform the razor. For me, it would be in a good way, but their core audience is younger cartridge users and I guess they think that what they are doing is perfect for their audience, which it probably is.

But I would love to see what they could do by applying the same quality and machining standards to more traditional designs / materials. They definitely know their stuff in that respect.

Yes, I am sure it works. One of the maxims for using traditional razors is, "Let the weight of the razor do the work". That's what I like to do, but with the Henson you can't because it has no weight. Between the lack of weight and the flat front, you have to supply pressure yourself. It may seem like a small amount of pressure to you, but to me it seemed like quite a lot (relatively speaking). I always think that the Henson looks like a DE razor, takes DE blades, but shaves like something else.

That's probably why I didn't get on with it, but I must have owned around 30 different traditional DE razors in my time and my "traditional" technique worked fine for all of them. As I said, to me Henson feels like cartridge shaving, which is not what I am looking for (it's what I am deliberately getting away from) but if you can make it work then knock yourself out - I am sure you are in a majority.

My experience is basically identical. I really don't want a very light razor that shaves like a cartridge razor. I have a number of other less expensive razors that perform better. But as we always say, to each his (or her) own...

I love reading these threads. For shaving nothing beats a Henson, but for romance look elsewhere. There is a concept called cognitive dissonance whereby people are incapable of accepting reality no matter what facts or experience they are presented with.

When it comes to a Henson, the deflection is that it is targeted to cartridge users. If you were Henson knowing that 99.99% of all shavers use a cartridge wouldn’t you market that way too? To directly above, you must be on another psychological plane if you think a Henson shaves like a cartrige.

So if you want to romance about shaving angles and “efficiency” use something else, but if you want to get out of the bathroom in 10 mins without a cut or nick every time, get a Henson.

And if you want to save your skin and have an even better shave, pair the Henson with either of the Jack Black creams and stop obsessing about tallow vs plant soaps or water/soap ratios. No traditional soap can hold a candle to the two I mentioned.

This is coming from a 60 year old that finally faced shaving reality. The success of Henson is absolutely incredible IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom