What's new

Anyone Else Fly Fish?

Been meaning to get out, my wife bought me a real nice fly rod and reel several years ago, and of course we had kids, so I haven't gotten out near as much as I would like. My boys are 11 and 7 so I think it might be time!!!:tongue_sm

I've been fly fishing and fly tying for about 15 years. Some years I average 100 days a year on the river, some years as few as 25. One of the perks of living in a rural area is having world classes rivers and lakes within 15-20 minutes away. I'm a vegetarian, so I haven't eaten a fish for about 10+ years.

Lately I have been focusing on midges and emergers. I tie all my own flies, and have 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7 weight rods. The season in our fly fishing only area starts April 1. I'll be there at 5 am casting to 5-10 pound steelhead, rainbows and browns that haven't seen a fisherman in 6 months. :thumbup1:

I've wanted to fly fish since I was a kid,I'm 54 now and have picked up some gear and I've been practicing casting for a while now.Hopefully this year I get a chance to actually try it on the water.We have some great trout streams in PA but I really want to get up to Ny in the fall when the Salmon and Steelheads are running.

yep, several bamboo roads and a couple of Winstons and Orvis Superfines. I make my yearly trek to Montana in Aug.. hit GSNP spring and fall, Graying MI everytime I can get away.. and try to get one trip over to PA. to keep in practice I love fly fishing for Bluegill in several of the ponds around here. A plate size Bluegill on a lite 3 wt is a handful!

Norling 8'/5wt and 7'/3wt

proxy.php

Mk VI Bougles?!? Beautiful! I love fishing, but more importantly for me I love fishing vintage glass fly rods. I was actually out with my sister today for her first time out. We fished a Phillipson epoxite paired with a Young Pridex reel. She caught her first fish, in particular a beautiful 16 inch largemouth bass from a creek. There is no better way to past time then on a creek catching bass/bream.

If any of y'all have any old glass rods sitting around, I would be more than happy to take them off your hands. I could help you finance a new graphite rod :thumbup1:

I've fly fished for almost 40 years. I tie my own flies, roll my own rods (most anyway), and never seem to get out enough. Most of my fishing is catch and release now. The biggest change is how so many wonderful stretches of rivers are private now.

After cold water fly fishing for several years,mostly in Arkansas, I decided to give salt water a try since South Louisiana is home. So I bought a kayak. That was 10 years ago, I am now on my third kayak and have spent most every Friday since chasing reds and specks. The best I can figure I am over 1000 reds sighted and caught mostly on Charlies from a kayak ( we call it a Cajun sleigh ride) and who knows how many thousand specks caught on clousers. Fishing is the best it has ever been here-it has been even better since the oil spill and was awfully good before. Though I still tie some dries and nymphs, salt water flies are a breeze since you can actually see what you are doing!

I too love to wield the long rod on many wild, high-elevation streams in western North Carolina. My favorite is fishing for little wild brookies with my 2wt, but I love browns and rainbows too. Week after next is Spring Break (I'm a teacher!); you might not see me on here for a few days!:thumbup1:

You know you are in pristine waters if you are catching brookies. They are sensitive little things.

Been a couple years since I last flyfished. I used to drive past a number of wonderful spots on my way to work when I worked in Cleveland. I would get up an hour or two early and go for it. Didn't catch much (and released what I did) being on the stream for less than an hour, but it was a blast. Steelhead would be a big deal up by Cleveland, but I never got any. I got some trout, bass, and a couple carp though, and a catfish that was a heck of a memorable battle.

Phil

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm a flyfisherman, in theory.

In practice, it's been almost a decade since I got out on a regular basis, and I think the last time I actually got a line wet was back in 2006. Work &c have kept me from fishing. Far too many &cs. One of these days I'm going to get back into it.

In theory.

For those who have not had the pleasure of a first-hand visit, I would like to state for the record that Roaring Fork is completely covered in rattlesnakes and mosquitos and isn't worth the trip. Really. You should probably try to fish somewhere else. Copperheads, too.

Which, of course, is fisherman-talk for "damn, the fishing is good here!!" :001_rolle

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Fly fishing trout with anything over a 4wt isn't what it use to be. 00-3wt is my ideal now for trout and going to 8wt for salmon/stealhead.

Since I moved to KC I do not fly fish near a much. When I lived in Iowa there was a sweet little stream that they would stock with fingerlings. It was artificial lures only. So those little fingerlings would grow up in that stream so they were wild fish. There was also a few Browns starting to reproduce, and the Brookies are native to NE Iowa.

I used an Orvis 2 weight rod. Most of the flys were #22 to #26. If there was a good Mayfly hatch going then you could use a bit bigger fly. I have big fingers so those little midges were a pain to tie on your tippet. Those were the days now I have a 3-4 hr drive to find trout.:thumbdown

There seems to be a number of avid fly fishers here. I fish for pleasure with you typical cast and reel rod but have been interested in trying fly fishing. Can you all recommend or suggest a starter rod/reel brands? Keeping things on the cheap of course.

There seems to be a number of avid fly fishers here. I fish for pleasure with you typical cast and reel rod but have been interested in trying fly fishing. Can you all recommend or suggest a starter rod/reel brands? Keeping things on the cheap of course.

Look at some of the starter sets on the Cabela's website. They are reasonably priced, and not crap. If you get bit by the bug though, fly fishing can become very expensive! DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!!

Loomis gl3 8wt Bauer m4 and fresh flies from my dyna-king striped bass in the north east lots of fun :thumbup:

Are you suggesting a GL3 Loomis as a starter for Iamarobot? Or are you just telling us about your very nice rod? I think that might be a bit pricey for a starter rod for someone looking to go on the cheap. Stripers are a load of fun on fly, that's for sure!

yes just responding to op but diverdoug is rite about cabelas nice kits that wont set you back a bundle and work great :thumbup1:

There's a joke around our fish camp -
When you walk into the Fly shop, they will ask how much money you have. If you have $500, your setup will cost $500. If you have $1000, your setup will cost $1000! :lol:

Seriously - ask around if you know anyone else that fly fishes, you may be able to borrow some equipment (waders, vest, etc.).

From what I have heard, you can do very well with a Cabela's starter kit for $50 - $100.

Good luck! It's a great pastime.

Top Bottom