What's new

Any rum snobs?

I'm certainly looking forward to the continued easing of relations between US and Cuba. As it is now, I have to beg friends to grab me a bottle if they travel internationally.

I have mixed opinions on this subject, but....

Apply for a permit to go on a mission trip or cultural study. I don't know the details, but once you're there, you are allowed a certain amount of liquor and tobacco through customs.

The thing with the tobacco is, although Cubans are the cream of the crop (I've only sampled one in my life), many Cuban tobacco makers moved to other countries after the embargo so, presumably the quality of cigar is just as good in those particular Hondurans and Dominicans, but the difference would be in the tobacco itself, regarding the soil, water, and climate.

Last edited:
Love rum old fashioneds. What did you use for the bitters and the sugar? Did you add anything different for garnish?

Tequila is good too with a little mescal, agave syrup, and a homemade bitters with a jalapeño kicker.

I go pretty basic. I use 1:1 simple syrup or 1:1 Demerara sugar syrup. Just under a teaspoon worth. Bitters I use what I have on hand which is regular Angostura and some orange bitters. To compliment I cut a small orange rind. I don't muddle fruit bits or anything like that though.

I have mixed opinions on this subject, but....

Apply for a permit to go on a mission trip or cultural study. I don't know the details, but once you're there, you are allowed a certain amount of liquor and tobacco through customs.

The thing with the tobacco is, although Cubans are the cream of the crop (I've only sampled one in my life), many Cuban tobacco makers moved to other countries after the embargo so, presumably the quality of cigar is just as good in those particular Hondurans and Dominicans, but the difference would be in the tobacco itself, regarding the soil, water, and climate.

Yeah, my thoughts on relations were really just about access to the rum, never mind all the other issues.

I've heard you can claim a $100 worth but some have said they had no issues with $200 or so.

And rum works a lot like Tobacco. Bacardi is the obvious example, though I think the majority of their range is not very good. But Dominican rums in general are very similar to the Cuban style. Abuelo, made in Panama, I believe their master blender is Cuban. Cana Brava, which is meant to emulate the Havana Club white rum is also made in Panama. Might even be the same distiller, blender.

Rum is my go to, straight or mixed.
Mixed I like Mojitos, Cuba Libres and of course Dark & Stormys.
For sipping I like it on the rocks, my favorite right now is Appleton Estate 21 yr. Its also hard to beat the price for a bottle of Zaya 12 yr at Costco, good rum.

This all the way. :)

I seldom drink anything anyway but neat and Rum is one of the best buys for the money nowadays. About the only aged Rum I didn't care for is Pyrat XO which tasted (to me) like it had been spiced. We will be heading South via Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru; we are familiar with Flor de Cana, and Zacapa and they are excellent, any other brands you might recommend will be appreciated. Thank you.

I seldom drink anything anyway but neat and Rum is one of the best buys for the money nowadays. About the only aged Rum I didn't care for is Pyrat XO which tasted (to me) like it had been spiced. We will be heading South via Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru; we are familiar with Flor de Cana, and Zacapa and they are excellent, any other brands you might recommend will be appreciated. Thank you.

Are you looking for barnds that aren't available in the US? Or just ones that would be good to try in the native habitat?

Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antiguo del Solera is one of the best rums I've ever tasted. Venezuelan. (Ok to bring through US Customs)
Also Cuban Havana Club is very good, but you can't bring it into the U.S. (yet -- unless you're coming directly from Cuba)
Lamb's Navy Rum is good -- different than usual rums, it's made from a blend of 18 rums. I believe it's British, but from the Caribbean. It's not available in the US, but it's OK to bring through customs.

Last edited:
Are you looking for barnds that aren't available in the US? Or just ones that would be good to try in the native habitat?

Santa Teresa 1796 Ron Antiguo del Solera is one of the best rums I've ever tasted. Venezuelan. (Ok to bring through US Customs)
Also Cuban Havana Club is very good, but you can't bring it into the U.S. (yet -- unless you're coming directly from Cuba)
Lamb's Navy Rum is good -- different than usual rums, it's made from a blend of 18 rums. I believe it's British, but from the Caribbean. It's not available in the US, but it's OK to bring through customs.

We would try any that are good aged Rums; thank you for your advice.

I'm a Scotch drinker, but a rum distiller opened up in town a couple years ago. (Whispering Pines) I really enjoy their cask rum as a sipper, and they make several liquors - Tart Cherry and Espresso are my two faves.

A lot of brands from Central/South America are available in the states. Not sure what you'll find but anything from Guyana is great. The US really only sees El Dorado brand, which is fab, but there are many others avaliable that offer more variety. I unfortunately don't know a lot of these brands by name which is why I suggest looking at country of origin.

I'll also second keeping an eye out for Havana Club, even if just to drink on your trip. The Seleccion de Maestro is an excellent shipping rum and the 7 year old is the my favorite for a rum and coke.

I'll do some looking around to see if I can find any other leads.

Went to Malahat Spirits yesterday and it is a fun facility to go to. I tried all of their rums, including one they are aging. Definite recommend if you are in San Diego or can find their stuff. (Limited distribution at the moment - SoCal and San Francisco.)

They're also working on a bourbon, which I didn't try.

I really like a drink called a "Dark & Stormy" that uses a Bermuda made Rum called Gosling's Black Seal Rum. Mighty fine stuff.

I really like a drink called a "Dark & Stormy" that uses a Bermuda made Rum called Gosling's Black Seal Rum. Mighty fine stuff.

+1 on the Dark & Stormy. I keep a bottle of Black Seal on hand at all times and any random rum from Barbados

Have you tried any other mixes with the Black Seal? Just curious.

Black Seal is excellent as an everyday dark rum -- use it wherever you would normally use any other rum. It's my go-to rum -- it's reasonably priced so there's always a bottle in my cabinet. If you like Mohitos, try making them with Goslings for a deeper flavor. I also like to make "rum and tonics" -- like a Gin and Tonic; Rum and Tonic Water but with a slice of orange. Quite refreshing.

Black Seal is excellent as an everyday dark rum -- use it wherever you would normally use any other rum. It's my go-to rum -- it's reasonably priced so there's always a bottle in my cabinet. If you like Mohitos, try making them with Goslings for a deeper flavor. I also like to make "rum and tonics" -- like a Gin and Tonic; Rum and Tonic Water but with a slice of orange. Quite refreshing.

+1

Cheers to all the above! I also like dark Jamaican rums in a dark and stormy. Coruba is good but I'm partial to Kohala Bay. That's hard to find outside of Florida from what I hear though.

Also, if unfamiliar with it, I highly recommend Q brand ginger beer. It's quite spicy and way less sweet than most you'll find. Same goes for their ginger ale. The best.

Mix the Q, rum, dash of bitters and a squeeze of lime and you get one super delicious drink.

Have you tried any other mixes with the Black Seal? Just curious.

For me, Goslings and most Dark rums mix very well with V8 Berry Blend. But I mostly drink Black Seal with Gosling ginger beer and my Barbados rums with ice:001_rolle

No rum love around here lately but I broke out the Appleton 12 for an Old Fashioned today. All around great rum that does well on its own or with a variety of mixers.

I was never really into my rum but then ironically enough at a whisky festival I had some of this and it blew my mind.

proxy.php

I now always ensure that there's a bottle in the house.

Top Bottom