What's new

Any opinions on a stubble beard?

My two sons both sport beards. One has a full well trimmed beard that looks fine. The other has a stubble beard, that frankly makes him look like he's been on a 3 or 4 day drunk. To me the height of tacky, would be a man in a three piece suit and tie with a stubble beard.
But please keep in mind, that this is just a rant from an antiguated old guy that is at least a couple generations back from the 'In Crowd'. :rolleyes:

I agree with you - but then again, I am the same age as you! My nephew sported such a beard last year. I gave him a razor and tuck of blades as a "present." He said this look was the "in look." Fortunately, when he changed jobs he realized his boss did not appreciate that look and he shaved. Today he uses the Red Tip I gave him as a joke gift.

1648142730221.png

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I think a lot of people realize that they have to grow up when they get a nice job. Employers don't care who you are, all they care about is that you follow the rules, and follow the dress code regulations, the military is no different in that regard as well. I had a nephew who grew his hair out long, that was the style back in the 2000's, and every boy had long hair, I guess girls love it? :rolleyes:

Well, my nephew got himself a little reality check after he graduated high school. He wanted to go work for a 4-star restaurant as a bartender. The employer took one look at him and said, your going to have to cut your hair and make yourself look presentable. He said, cut your hair, shave, wear white shirt and tie, black pants, black dress shoes. No exceptions.

The job was good money, around 20-dollars per hour, more then the waiters made! Well, the money won him over, and he finally cleaned himself up and look presentable. I couldn't tell you how much better my nephew looked after cutting his hair and shaving, that alone made a huge difference. No more hippy look! lol

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
As I was growing up, my parents would tell me that "some people dislike men with facial hair but no one dislikes a clean shaven man". When you have your own business dealing with a few wealthy clients, as both my father and later myself had, you can loose a lot of business if a client doesn't like your looks.

Later in life, I found that must Asian women do not like men with facial hair. I have been clean-shaven all my life.

What you look like really shouldn’t matter. The reality of course is that it often matters quite a bit. In the real world people treat you differently depending on how you look and act. Based on initial impressions they quickly decide on a subconscious level if they want to align themselves with you or distance themselves from you. Help you or block you.

I’ve chosen to have an easy life with as little head wind as possible. Being clean, presentable and respectful doesn’t cost much but it can have a major impact on how people treat and receive you.

A stubble beard isn’t the end of the world but it may present an unnecessary barrier when dealing with certain people. Many women find it sexy. So your choice may depend if you’re more frequently trying to impress young women or old men...

I tend to take a pretty safe approach. Clean clothes, good hygiene, a clean shave, good posture, a pressed shirt, polished shoes, a simple watch and wedding band tend to be universally acceptable. Beards, tattoos, piercings, track suit pants, slang/swearing and other fashion items look cool in certain circles but are more polarizing.

Personally I think it would be boring if everyone was the same. We should all feel free to be ourselves and present ourselves in a genuine way that makes us feel comfortable. At the same time it’s wise to acknowledge that certain styling decisions can hold us back unnecessarily. People will accept different things in different situations. A certain look may be fine on the building site but frowned upon in the boardroom. To keep our options open, it is helpful to understand and respect the unspoken cultural norms that exist in a polite society.

Last edited:

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I believe you should do what makes you feel good. I preferred a big natural beard the years I sported one. Others may have thought it looked unkept, possibly, but it sure felt good.

As I was growing up, my parents would tell me that "some people dislike men with facial hair but no one dislikes a clean shaven man". When you have your own business dealing with a few wealthy clients, as both my father and later myself had, you can loose a lot of business if a client doesn't like your looks.

Later in life, I found that must Asian women do not like men with facial hair. I have been clean-shaven all my life.

" a clean shaven man"

Top Bottom