What's new

Any night shavers?

Before i started whit the DE thing i was shaving anytime, shaving was more like an unpleasant core.
But now i always shave in the morning, right after my coffee.

1. ...
  2. Letting the lather sit on my beard for two minutes while I brush my teeth.
  3. Shave as normal.

... allowing the beard softening chemicals in the lather to work to best advantage. The two minute sit time for the lather lets it do it's beard softening work.

This seems to give me almost all the beard softening of the hot towel routine without having to just sit there holding a washcloth to my face.

I am currently looking for a better way to prep so I'm curious about the washing and "lathering my face then washing it off" part confuses me a bit.

Topgumby above said it well. The first lathering is to soften the beard. Lather has contents that soften and weaken the outer layer of hair and allow water to penetrate into the inner layer. Leaving my first lather on my face for a minute or so then washing it off and re-lathering has improved my shave drastically.

After a minute or so on the face the lather is a bit dry to start shaving straight away so by washing it off I add more water which will be absorbed into the now 'lather weakend hair' and then add new hydrated lather.

Aaron

Azza, that's a step worth trying.

I re-hydrate my lather that's been sitting for a couple minutes with fresh lather if need be, but rinsing it off and starting fresh would be interesting.

I usually end up with more than enough lather for a three pass shave, anyway. Might as well use it. :001_smile

Azza, that's a step worth trying.

I re-hydrate my lather that's been sitting for a couple minutes with fresh lather if need be, but rinsing it off and starting fresh would be interesting.

I usually end up with more than enough lather for a three pass shave, anyway. Might as well use it. :001_smile

Yeah give it a shot, I always have more than enough lather left over to justify doing this as well. My lather dries out after about a minute or two on my face so its great to wash it off and start fresh. Dry lather is just awful!

Aaron

I'm a midnight shaver. I work freelance out of home and I'm a bit of a night owl. I put on Coast to Coast AM and enjoy a nice relaxing shave with no rush whatsoever. It's a great way to end the day.

My prep is to take a hot shower beforehand, face lather, and really work it in.

Topgumby above said it well. The first lathering is to soften the beard. Lather has contents that soften and weaken the outer layer of hair and allow water to penetrate into the inner layer. Leaving my first lather on my face for a minute or so then washing it off and re-lathering has improved my shave drastically.

After a minute or so on the face the lather is a bit dry to start shaving straight away so by washing it off I add more water which will be absorbed into the now 'lather weakend hair' and then add new hydrated lather.

Aaron

I'll definitely give that a try. So do you recommend washing the face first with soap and water, lathering for 2 minutes, washing it off then re-lathering and shaving? Or just lathering, washing off, re-lathering and shaving?

Usually my routine is just a moist hot towel for 2 minutes but I'm looking to improve a lot. Also, my face has been irritated moreso lately, which I attribute to improper blade angle, but this should definitely help.

I lather my whole face for 1-2 minutes, then do straight sweeps on the face with the brush to even it all out. But it takes me maybe 4-5 minutes per one sweep of the face, usually WTG, so maybe I should only lather half my face to prevent the lather from drying out?

I'm also a night shaver too - just no chance of getting to work on time if I had to shave in the morning as well as get dressed!

At weekends when I don't work I have a nice leisurely straight shave on the Sunday morning. But it's DE during the week because I'm faster (and I really need to get my straight rehoned...)

I shave on weeknights as I am unable to fully enjoy the zen experience of the shave in the morning. Most nights, I simply rinse my face with hot water and get after it. While I am sure that there is some benefit to the preparation, I regularly get an excellent shave using this simple technique. That said, I have only been wet shaving for about 4 months and I'm sure I have a lot yet to learn.

I used to exclusively shave at night, however, I have found you just feel better when you start your day with a shave. I occasionally night shave now. When I do, I use Kyle's prep. I find that a hot shower helps too.

I have heard mixed reviews on a pre-lather. In a mantic video with a barber, he suggests never pre-lather as it draws moisture out of the skin.

Now I am confused :tongue_sm

I have never been able to drag myself out of bed more than 10 minutes before I have to be out the door. I love showering/shaving in the eveining. It relaxes my ever grinding brain and helps me fall asleep faster.

I'm glad I stumbled on this post. I'll give Topgumby's method a try. Seems like it will speed up the prep process.

I have been doing evening shaves with my straight razor when I can. I learned the hard way not to pick up the blade when I am rushed (ie: in the morning), so when possible I like to take my time with a shave at night. I do Kyle's prep and spend some extra time using the brush, which is relaxing in itself, and take my time lathering, stropping and doing a 2 pass shave.

I have heard mixed reviews on a pre-lather. In a mantic video with a barber, he suggests never pre-lather as it draws moisture out of the skin.

Now I am confused :tongue_sm

If I remember correctly, the barber only suggested against LAYERING lather (pre-lathering and then adding more lather). The original "barber shop" method was to add a layer of lather, apply a hot towel, and use the towel to wipe the lather away before proceeding to add the "real" layer of lather. Hope that makes sense! :thumbup1:

I agree with all the other people saying to use a hot towel.

I wash my face with a sensitive wash
Then place a really hot towel on my face
Then shave away!

Top Bottom