What's new

Any night shavers?

I always shave at night, and have for a while because I am a bum and like to sleep as long as humanly possible before I get up to go into the office. I can do a DE shave pretty quickly, but I'd rather just do it at night and not even worry about the time.

I shower at night as well, which goes back to the sleep thing, so I don't have a change in prep.

J.

+1 to everything he said :biggrin1:

When I first started, I did my shaving in the evenings because then I had the opportunity to take my time and learn to do things properly. Now I am able to shave in the morning without missing my train to head off to the office.
I always use a hot towel on the face as part of my prep- it is great.

V

VR6ofpain

I have switched to night shaving. I can't get myself moving early enough for a good shave in addition to my normal morning routine. I usually wash my face with some shaving soap, rinse, then follow my normal routine.

Night shaver here. No way its humanly possible to get up in the morning and do it. I have to shower twice a day anyways. No special prep (tho i did try out Kyle's for a while) Very therapeutic, helps me sleep better too knowing that I've just pampered myself. :)

I mostly shave at night.

I used to do the hot towel prep, but switched to a routine outlined in a 1950's article on the science of shaving that consists of:

1. Washing up with hot water and soap
  2. Letting the lather sit on my beard for two minutes while I brush my teeth.
  3. Shave as normal.

The reasoning behind this was that the soap and water wash hydrated the beard and stripped away dirt and oils, allowing the beard softening chemicals in the lather to work to best advantage. The two minute sit time for the lather lets it do it's beard softening work.

This seems to give me almost all the beard softening of the hot towel routine without having to just sit there holding a washcloth to my face.

Another night shaver here.

Night is one of the few times where I can relax and take some time for a good shave. It's relaxing and part of my night time routine now.

Night shaving has some great advantages for me. For one, a DE shave is so good that I'm still BBS in the morning and stubble-free until almost the end of the work day. That gives me a little extra sleep over shaving in the morning with a cartridge.

Second, I get to use an ASB on my face after shaving. I don't like oily/greasy on my face during the day, but it's not a problem if I'm asleep.

Third, it also ties in with the antipersperant ritual. A little over a year ago, I switched to using Sure Max. I don't have a huge problem with perspiration, but I'd never tried anything so effective before. It leaves me completely dry. Oddly, the instructions say that you're supposed to apply it at night because your body temperature is lower. Well, OK. So I'd gotten into that routine and shaving just seems a natural fit with washing my face and brushing my teeth.

Like the above poster, I wash my face, splash water a few times, then leave lather on my face while I brush my teeth and apply the deodorant. It's about 90% as good as shaving after a hot shower.

Hi

For any night shavers, how do you prepare your face (assuming you don't have a shower before)?

I am thinking of switching to this because I always run late now that I shave in the morning because it takes me a long time, compared to the hack hack hack of a cartridge.

I am thinking to use a hot towel to put on my face for a few minutes, but it seems a bit annoying.

Love shaving at night. I take a shower before I do and either way a hot towel works wonders. Keep it on your face and neck for at least a minute.

For about 2 months over Christmas i shaved at night, to learn how to shave with straights. Doing it at night meant i never had to rush. I found the shaving at night had the same meditation aspect to it as the morning, perhaps better- unwinding from the day rather than preparing for it.

The downside was the first dozen or so shaves, where the shave quality was terrible to start with, then after a night's growth - i must have looked unshaven everday :wink2:

I reverted back to morning shaves mostly because i shower in the morning, also I feel like i get too little time in the evenings as it is, without taking the time for a shave too :001_smile

on weekends it's often a mid-late afternoon shave - a happy medium :tongue_sm

When I started DE shaving, it was always at night. Now that is it summer here and I'm getting up earlier I find have more time to shave so it's mornings for me now.

I shave at night because still being new to DE shaving I'm not fast enough to do it in the morning and still make it out the door on time.

-ice

I shave at night too. It's relaxing and I don't have to worry about others using the bathroom or running late or making others run late. I don't use the hot towel method but am going to get one to try it out again. I did a while back but can't remember why it didn't stick. Currently I splash warm water on my face, face lather my cream or soap, leave it on for a minute or so then wash it off, re-lather and start shaving.

Aaron

Last edited:
I only shave at night. I get home from work shower with a good face wash, lather up, let it sit for a song, and then slowly get to the cutting in the peace.

When you all say "wash your face", do you mean with soap and water or with some sort of shaving cream?
My ritual is at night, I've recently started soaking my face in a hot moist towel (unless there's something else you folks do to get a hot towel?) for 2-3 minutes then getting to it.
I am currently looking for a better way to prep so I'm curious about the washing and "lathering my face then washing it off" part confuses me a bit.

I haven't shaved at night much, but with all the great tips here, I'll have to try it out again and see how long it lasts through the next day.

I'm an evening shaver!

I do manual-work outside so it's nice to come in, shower and have a nice relaxing shave before spending quality time with SWMBO :001_smile
I don't HAVE to be clean shaven for work, but I'd say I'm still "socially acceptable" for most of the afternoon.
I started out doing the full "Kyle's prep" but have now cut it back a bit...out of shower, lather up, wipe off the lather with a face-cloth (nice big, thick cotton one) soaked in hot water, re-lather and then shave. Use the same cloth between passes. Usually takes me about 20 minutes start to finish (including the shower) and then I'm clean and fresh before I sit down :001_smile

I could shave in the morning...but I'm not a "morning person"...I need at least 2 coffees before I'm fully functional :lol:

Top Bottom