What's new

Any good reason to preserve vintage blades?

Is it bad form to use vintage blades? Will they be worth millions of dollars in a few years? Will I die?

I'm guessing no to all the above but as a noob I thought I'd check.

$Slim Adj and Blades.jpg

Most vintage blades aren't very impressive to me.

With the exception of the Personna 74 blades I wouldn't bother using any vintage blades.

You should also look for rust on the blade before you used it as how they were stored will determine if they are still usable or not.

Whatever decision that feels right for you. There are a large number of vintage blades available. B+B member Mr. Razor has a great collection/museum and website dedicated to razors and blades. If you want to keep a small collection of vintage blades or if you want to experience what it was like to shave back in the old days its all good.

http://www.mr-razor.com/

Nothing wrong with trying those old blades and I am guilty of doing exactly that. I successfully completed a shave using a three hole carbon steel blade that is circa 90 years old. Not a smooth shave, not a comfortable shave, but one I wanted to complete, and I did.

I think those red/black Gillette's pictured have a history of being called a rough shave, but no reason not to give it a try. Even with a good vintage carbon, I only give them one or two shaves before tossing, so don't expect much longevity. Obviously if there is rust, keep them as a collectible or toss them.

Depends on whether you are a collector! To me razors and blades are to be used. But that is my approach.

I'm with you BigJ. Blades are to be used; that said I have few hanging around that came with razors, I figured I'd PIF someday. I received a whole mess of berkeley razor blades and tried one; not a terrible shave.

Top Bottom