What's new

Any brandy drinkers?

Also after you've had two or so, call it quits, even if you don't feel intoxicated your taste buds may be shot. It's best to just start afresh the next day.

I hear ya. Just like with anything else, after a while you dont pick up on the differences or the differences seem huge when they are not. Plus, thats for the small bottle suggestion as well, my wife mentioned something about that as well.

M

modern man

Shoot, Mickeys for Brandy. You my friend have a deal.

Send me the address. :lol:

Mo,
That store in Kensington, CA...did you mean Kensington as in San Diego suburb? I used to live in the area.
Gave away a bottle of Courvoisieur VSOP when I moved down here.
I think if you really want to enjoy a brandy (or cognac or armagnac etc) make sure you get ahold of some snifters. I didn't see the point until I got a couple crystal snifters (they don't have to be crystal, just mine were) and try it that way. The cognac just smelled delicious with a few swirls in that thing. It does make a difference. I read somewhere also, that if you want to try a cognac, generally the step up from VS to VSOP is well worth the money, but the step from VSOP to XO isn't always as dramatic....
John P.

Remy Martin VSOP Cognac is my current fave.

Marty

I agree remy martin is hands down better than Couvasier or Hennessy .. Im a snob drinker and remy is the only one I drink,, if they dont have it in said bar theres another bar close by that will.. Im so into it I leave friends where theyve gathered to gets mine and return later.. and theres no hangover!!!:cool:

Forget the Remy XO if you have the money try the Kelt XO. Excellent cognac! What more can I say?

LOUIS XIII REMY MARTIN......nuff said.. Currently at my place at 175 a drink,, the bottle in original Bacarat crytstal comes in at about 4700 dollars,, with a 1 karat cognac diamond in the stopper.... upon return of bottle without stopper my purveyor credits 500 dollars towards next bottle... if anyone has tried this let me know how ur still feeling now!

LOUIS XIII REMY MARTIN......nuff said.. Currently at my place at 175 a drink,, the bottle in original Bacarat crytstal comes in at about 4700 dollars,, with a 1 karat cognac diamond in the stopper.... upon return of bottle without stopper my purveyor credits 500 dollars towards next bottle... if anyone has tried this let me know how ur still feeling now!

I've had it once. Honestly I wasn't that impressed. It's good don't get me wrong, but I don't think Louis XIII is worth anywhere near what it costs. I think there are better brandies out there at a fraction of the cost. IMO it's like Johnnie Walker Blue, very good, but nowhere worth the cost and higher quality products are avaiable for less money.

I've had it once. Honestly I wasn't that impressed. It's good don't get me wrong, but I don't think Louis XIII is worth anywhere near what it costs. I think there are better brandies out there at a fraction of the cost. IMO it's like Johnnie Walker Blue, very good, but nowhere worth the cost and higher quality products are avaiable for less money.

WHOOO :eek: You didnt think the Johnnie Walker Blue is worth the money? Just shocked because your the first I've heard say that. Nothing wrong with that of course, each person has their own tastes. I loved it!!! Wouldnt mind paying that price. Of course assuming I had the money. :blushing:

I also agree that there are plenty of fine cognacs for less money;; but a toyota will do the same as a ferrari, and those that have ferraris will accept no other.. kind of the same thing...

I agree remy martin is hands down better than Couvasier or Hennessy .. Im a snob drinker and remy is the only one I drink,, if they dont have it in said bar theres another bar close by that will.. Im so into it I leave friends where theyve gathered to gets mine and return later.. and theres no hangover!!!:cool:

The ubiquitous Remy VSOP is overrated in my opinion as I always find it to have a harsh youthful edge and to be thin on the palate.

In the VSOP category, I prefer

Frapin
Hardy
Menuet
Martell

Hey everyone! I really enjoy sipping a lot of different types of scotch whiskey as I relax. However, my wife and I are not very familiar with any Brandies and would like to try some. Anyone have any suggestions on some that are "decently" prized to try?
Cognac, Armagnac, Calvados (Apple). Wouldn't go below a VSOP on Cognac or Armagnac. I compare Cognac to a blended Scotch and Armagnac to a malt i.e. more individuality and not as much sold or advertised. Hope you and all the members had a Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year. "If you drink, have one; if the dead could they would." Yol Bolsun.

Sorry guys, I'm not a brandy drinker yet, but I'm always curious to try new things. Could someone explain what VSOP is? Thanks.

I think that VS means Very Special, VSOP means Very Special Old Pale, and XO means Extra Old. But I could be wrong.

My two all time favorites are Courvossier VSOP, which has deep, dark fruit flavors, and Remy Martin XO, which is the most expensive liquor I have ever bought. Well, it is tied with my Grand Marnier 150th Anniversary. I bought both on a trip to Martinique in 1990. As I savor them very carefully, both bottles are still going strong. :cool:

Tim

I think that VS means Very Special, VSOP means Very Special Old Pale, and XO means Extra Old. But I could be wrong.

My two all time favorites are Courvossier VSOP, which has deep, dark fruit flavors, and Remy Martin XO, which is the most expensive liquor I have ever bought. Well, it is tied with my Grand Marnier 150th Anniversary. I bought both on a trip to Martinique in 1990. As I savor them very carefully, both bottles are still going strong. :cool:

Tim

Thanks Tim. By the way, that's really cool about your two bottles that you've have since '90. I would have loved to do the same while I was in Europe a year ago, but...beer doesn't keep as well as spirits :wink: .

Grab a bottle of Pierre Ferrand Ambre. An excellent intro to better cognacs. Kicks the snot of the Remy, Curvoisier, Hennessey firewaters, and you can get a 750 for about $33.

A colleague of mine, on business in Germany last week, is supposed to bring me a bottle of Asbach. Ahh, the hangovers from days past that German brandy brings to mind.

Top Bottom