What's new

Any Astrophotographers here?

Wow, great photo! What are you using for glass?

Explore Scientific Apochromatic 102mm aperture, 714mm focal length telescope. Camera is a QSI683

Scope.png

@troy it is definitely a different type of photography. Very rewarding and sometimes extremely aggravating. The main difference is the time involved, shutter speeds, ISO. As you are well aware these are very fast when shooting in day light and lighting is important to imaging, even with the Sun.

Astrophotography light is bad, fast shutter speeds will not capture the object, rotation of the Earth is always against you. Yet you are trying to capture light photons that have traveled thousands of light years... There is even a formula to determine how long you can leave a shutter open for an exposure to capture a night sky without star trails. It is dependent on your lens focal length and called the 500 rule:

500 Divided By the Focal Length of Your Lens = The Longest Exposure (in Seconds) Before Stars Start to “Trail”

Multiple shots to stack, reduction of noise, and detail definition. Read on one of your posts that you are using Lightroom, they have plugins for night shots, give it a try Sir. You may find another love along side your love of the creepy crawlies :thumbup1:

A couple of recent images. For the 1st one, the Bubble Nebula and M52 I just did the processing. I did not shoot the image. That was done by Martin Lines. I had to downsize it considerbly for posting here.

NGC7635 and M52_cr.jpg

This is one I shot a couple of weeks ago. 5 hours on the Heart and Soul nebulas andDouble Cluster
Smal Heart and Soul Widefield.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
:thumbup1: Just an amateur astronomer and satellite-chaser - but love seeing these.

It's an investment in time and equipment for sure, and then, to be blessed with dark skies. Dreams of a monster Dobsonian!

I do have two sets of Oberwerk binos (60 and 80mm) for deep sky viewing ... and keeping up with Hubble, Tiangong, etc.

Oh, yeah. :lol: The ISS, too.

Thanks everyone for posting the images!

AA

I used to subscribe to an Astronomy mag in the early 1970s. I would like to have gotten into space photography back then, but being married with a child, the best camera I could afford at the time was a Konica G5 fixed lens. I was able to capture some decent star trails while living in Florida, but not much else. At one point, I started using infrared film with a yellow lens, as infrared slide film and development was cheap at the time. My best picture from that time is hanging on our wall, It's a photo of the Belle of Louisville taken in 1972. I stopped down on a bight sunny day, so it looks like it was taken at night. The clouds in the sky are visible, but the red paddle-wheel and markings are a yellow-brown.

Top Bottom