What's new

Another shave, another disappointment

Welcome to the B&B mbrace. Not sure I can give you any sage advice that hasn't already been given. I do want to give you words of encouragement to hang in there and be methodical about the process, which it appears that you are.

I've been DE shaving since July and I am in the opposite corner. From the very first shave I was hooked and everything went well. I can tell you that everyone reacts to the different products (blades, aftershaves, etc.) differently. The classic "Your Mileage May Vary" is in operation here. I convinced a friend to give DE shaving a try and he was having issues with razor burn. No ingrown hairs, but a lot of razor burn. What worked for him was doing to Derby blades. For you, this may not be such a good thing. I can say personally that I have had fantastic shaves with Gillette 7:00 yellow blades. Get a decent sampler pack and discover what your face likes. The blade is a far more important consideration than the actual razor, IMHO.

I don't think you can overdo the pre-shave prep. I personally like the oil from AoS. I will soon be trying Proraso pre-shave cream. For you, I think lots of hydration hot towels etc. and some sort of product that will help the razor "glide" as much as possible. I read on another post where some folks add just a tad of glycerin to their shaving cream to give it the "slickness" of a shaving soap. Worth the time to at least investigate and ask questions. YMMV though.

Great advice already given as far as the passes. WTG and MAYBE an XTG, but go slow. You're learning how to shave and there is a learning curve.

You may want to get on the forum with the straight razor folks and see what they do to prep, numbers of passes, how they started out etc. While I don't use a straight razor (yet) those folks have always struck me as the ones who really have to have the whole process "down."

Above all, be patient and come back here with your observations and ask for advice.

Good luck with it.

Last edited:
Don't have any particular wisdom for shave bumps, just want to add my welcome and encouragement. Lot's of good advice to be had here, I'm sure you'll get it to click soon enough!

Good luck on your quest -- I'm sure you'll get there. I have no expert advice to offer, but one pass max. sounds right to me. Also, I would try to shave every day, with no more than 1 day per week rest. The idea would be to get your face used to shaving, but to do it in a way that reduces irritation to an absolute minimum. Finding the right razor and blade, and learning how to make a thick, protective lather goes without saying. If you stick with it, and avoid irritating your skin, I'm sure it will eventually all fall into place for you.

You guys have been great thus far! See that's why I joined this forum. I knew that I would get a ton of great advice from guys with various experience levels.

Update: I'm still giving the wet shave thing a break while I let my face/neck heal and try to put of all the great advice given into perspective for my particular situation, skin & hair type, etc.

One thing that has been expressed greatly thus far is hair mapping so I decided to give my face a look under a magnified mirror that my wife has. I was immediately confused to see that my hair grows in every direction possible!!!

Do you guys think that this could be a contributing factor to the ingrowns or does it ultimately revert back to better prep and technique??

How should I handle the varying directions of hair growth (especially on the neck)?

I was immediately confused to see that my hair grows in every direction possible!!!

Do you guys think that this could be a contributing factor to the ingrowns or does it ultimately revert back to better prep and technique??

YES, YES, YES, and YES. :sad:

This means that improved technique and prep is even more important for you. This is the hardest type of hair growth to shave….
(Everything we all have said is still valid, though.)

- Badger Bill

YES, YES, YES, and YES. :sad:

This means that improved technique and prep is even more important for you. This is the hardest type of hair growth to shave….
(Everything we all have said is still valid, though.)

- Badger Bill

This is a tough realization to overcome, more mentally than physically. I have to ask myself am I willing to go through the growing pains.

It definitely is more mental than physical… if you can get it to work, trust me - it will be SO worth it. I have a similar growth pattern on my neck and I've overcome it using the techniques I (and everyone else) has said in this thread.

Don't let it get you down… you just have more information now about ways to possibly improve. Keep at it!! Once it clicks you will be loving it.

- Badger Bill

It definitely is more mental than physical… if you can get it to work, trust me - it will be SO worth it. I have a similar growth pattern on my neck and I've overcome it using the techniques I (and everyone else) has said in this thread.

Don't let it get you down… you just have more information now about ways to possibly improve. Keep at it!! Once it clicks you will be loving it.

- Badger Bill

+1 It is worth it.

You guys have been great thus far! See that's why I joined this forum. I knew that I would get a ton of great advice from guys with various experience levels.

Update: I'm still giving the wet shave thing a break while I let my face/neck heal and try to put of all the great advice given into perspective for my particular situation, skin & hair type, etc.

One thing that has been expressed greatly thus far is hair mapping so I decided to give my face a look under a magnified mirror that my wife has. I was immediately confused to see that my hair grows in every direction possible!!!

How should I handle the varying directions of hair growth (especially on the neck)?

$ImageUploadedByTapatalk1387216267.137418.jpg
This picture shows that it is quite normal for beard growth to be in different directions. If you are shaving ATG on the first pass you will most likely cause irritation, bumps, and ingrown's. Especially in a sensitive area such as your neck. At least that is where my problem began. Prep and technique are real important and will build with experience but you need a road map to begin with.
Look into purchasing some Witch Hazel or Tend Skin it really helps clear up ingrown hairs.

Ah yes, if your face looks like what DudeAbides posted, then you are totally good to go / typical. I was thinking that you meant the hairs grow in every direction on a much tighter scale. So for example, in one of those numbered sections, you have a bunch of different directions.
Either way, you can sort it out and make things work.

- Badger Bill

Top Bottom