What's new

Another newbie checking in

I'm new here, so I'll introduce myself with a bit of history followed by what I'm planning to do next:

My shaving career began when I was 13 and my dad bought me an electric razor and a bottle of cheap aftershave. I absolutely hated shaving with those, but didn't think there were any options. My dad did it like that, and at that point I had no reason to doubt him. Fast forward a "few" years. I'm doing military service (pretty much mandatory here in Finland), and they hand out Gillette Mach3 starter kits. These have a Mach3 razor and small cans of (Gillette) shaving gel and aftershave gel. They are like the handouts drug dealers use, designed to get you hooked but not last a long time. It works. I still didn't exactly love shaving, but this was a huge improvement over the electrics and this is what I've been shaving with ever since. Recently I happened to stumble upon the MSNBC article about shaving (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6886845/) and found out that there is an even better way.

After that I've been reading through this forum, the leisureguy blog, shavemyface.com and the others like crazy. There is a better way and I want to try it. The problem is that I am in Finland and I don't know of a store that would have all I need. A few webstores carry Merkur razors, but thats pretty much it. Badger hair brushes aren't available. Only Merkur blades are sold and only in webstores (I think the difference between a local webstore and a UK or US webstore is very small, at least when ordering in large quantities).

Right now the plan is get the following from classicshaving.com:

Merkur HD
Merkur Double-Edge Razor Travel Case
Vulfix "Turnback" Super Badger Travel Brush
Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort Shaving Cream

And get a blade sample pack from connaughtshaving.com (I will probably use them as my source of blades, far cheaper than ordering from the states, another option would be winkelplein.nu/barbershopsuply in the Netherlands)

I'm thinking of getting the travel stuff since I do travel every now and then, and also because I don't have a lot of bathroom space alloted to me...

For aftershaves I'm thinking of either staying with the Gillette gel or getting some Nivea stuff (both are locally available).

Any comments and/or suggestions are very welcome.

Welcome to B&B and to DE shaving!

I currently live in Sweden (but am Dutch) and there is not a lot of choice here either. I got some supplies from on online store called Gents.se, but I don't think they are very cheap. They did have a reasonable offer on the Edwin Jagger best badger small brush with some soap and a soap bowl, which was what I started out with, IMO the brush is a great brush to start with and even keep using.

I also got some stuff from the Dutch store you mention, in my opinion a great place to buy from, however their international shipping costs are very steep (I got my stuff to Sweden through a visiting relative).

I am not sure if this will be the same in Finland, but in Sweden you can get Palmolive shaving cream in most of the bigger supermarkets. This is a relatively cheap and IMHO good product worth checking out. I use the Nivea for Men Sensitive Aftershave Balm and it works well for me.

Houston here.

Vulfix "Turnback" Super Badger Travel Brush (excellent one, I have it and use it almost all the time)

As for aftershaves, you may try Musgo Real ( Lee at Leesrazors got me to try it and since, I have bought the after shave and balm) Now, I do also use the Loreal A/S balm with SPF 15.

Of course from the wisdom of the collective, I have tried Old Spice, Aqua Velva Ice, Pinaud Clubman, and others. I have yet to find one that is really bad.

As for travelling, the Mocha Java shavestick by QED is excellent.

Welcome aboard.

Viiru - welcome! The set up you have picked out at classicshaving.com looks like a good one...good luck!

I think you'll find the time researching and DE shaving rewarding.

Just remember no pressure on the face and the proper angle. That has been the root cause of all my problems which consist of a little stinging like multi-blades.

Have fun.

boz

Welcome Viiru, I think you'll be enjoying the time spent on this forum almost as much as the time you will spend getting good shaves :biggrin:

Welcome to the place where the streets are paved with gold (plated slants) and the trees are filled with shaving soap (and toilet paper from the panty raid we had last week). :tongue:

BTW, if you liked what Corey wrote, check out his blog: www.shaveblog.com

He doesn't seem to update it anymore, but there are plenty of entries to amuse yourself with.

Top Bottom