What's new

And I found this... TS Creme de Barbear Lanolizado

Well, I tried it this morning, on a quick (Monday morning :() shave. My only frame of reference is the 2 creams I have used so far: Palmolive Euro and Wilkinson Sword. I have never used a cream containing Lanolin I (have to get a tube of Musgo sooner or later :)).

It was not an epic shave, I actually managed to get a nice cut... This is only a draft of my review, but here goes:

Price - 9, it is only slightly more expensive than regular creams, but I think it can provide more shaves (see latherability).
Quality - 7, regular stuff.
Scent - 8, this reminds me of a rose scented hand soap from when I was a kid. It is basic but i enjoyed it.
Latherability - 6, this is a very thick cream. I think I have used too much cream and too little water. If I get the mix just right, this rating could improve.
Efficacy - 6, same as before. I can't really tell if this is better than my current cream until I get a correct mix.
Moisturizing Properties - 6, but not as good as my current Wilkinson (could it be the wrong mix again?).
Packaging - 6, basic stuff you can find on a regular cream.

If you guys have any other tips on how to handle a thick cream, please let me know. This weekend I will take some time to experiment with the mix.

Thnaks for the find and review. Have you used Musgo Real? Is so, how does it compare? I tries MR recently and found it compares very favorably to the best creams.

Thnaks for the find and review. Have you used Musgo Real? Is so, how does it compare? I tries MR recently and found it compares very favorably to the best creams.

No, I haven't tried Musgo Real yet. But I really really have to :001_smile. Currently I am planning on trying all the easily available supermarket/drug store creams (this could take a while...). As for this cream, it costs about as much as any other of those easily avaliable creams, so comparing it with Musgo may not be very fair. But more on how it performs on my next post...

Well, I tried it this morning, on a quick (Monday morning :() shave. My only frame of reference is the 2 creams I have used so far: Palmolive Euro and Wilkinson Sword. I have never used a cream containing Lanolin I (have to get a tube of Musgo sooner or later :)).

It was not an epic shave, I actually managed to get a nice cut... This is only a draft of my review, but here goes:

Price - 9, it is only slightly more expensive than regular creams, but I think it can provide more shaves (see latherability).
Scent - 8, this reminds me of a rose scented hand soap from when I was a kid. It is basic but i enjoyed it.
Latherability - 6, this is a very thick cream. I think I have used too much cream and too little water. If I get the mix just right, this rating could improve.
Efficacy - 6, same as before. I can't really tell if this is better than my current cream until I get a correct mix.
Moisturizing Properties - 6, but not as good as my current Wilkinson (could it be the wrong mix again?).
Packaging - 6, basic stuff you can find on a regular cream.

If you guys have any other tips on how to handle a thick cream, please let me know. This weekend I will take some time to experiment with the mix.

Ok, so some thoughts on my second shave with this cream. With this one, the rule "less cream, more water" really works. I would add also "more time".
I used the brush with more water (I even added some more while mixing), and took much more time to swirl around the cream to create the lather. It produced enough for 2 passes, but the remaining lather was sufficient for another two, I think.

Results:

Price - 10, it is only slightly more expensive than regular (supermarket) creams. It seems to contain more cream, as 125 gr equals 4.4 oz. It is not easy to compare as many creams are measured in volume instead of weight (ml instead of gr). However, smaller amounts of cream produce a lot of lather, hopefully resulting in more shaves per tube.
Latherability - 8, small amounts produce a lot of lather, if you provide more than enough water. It takes more time to get decent results.
Efficacy - 7, I can't really tell if this is better than my current cream. I did get a good shave, though.
Moisturizing Properties - 7, does not leave a very pronounced "after effect" but works well.
Packaging - 7, basic stuff you can find on a regular cream. One point more for the "vintage" value.

There you have it. Some of you showed interest in acquiring this cream. Here's what you can do:

1. Contact Confiança through their web site (http://confiancasoaps.com/select_lang.php?id=en) and ask them if they know of any retailers who sell this product online.
  2. They already have an online store of their own, but they do not list this product there. Maybe if you ask really nicely they can send some of this stuff to you?
  3. If all else fails, I am available to send some tube(s) of this cream to someone who is interested and can provide a valuable review. It would be interesting to see a review done by someone that knows what he is doing (unlike me :biggrin:)

Leon! HEY LEON? Are you seeing this?

Hi Jim!

Yes, it's an interesting cream. I didn't know this product. If it's from Confiança Soaps, it must be worth a try, they are a well-reputed brand here in Portugal.
I was told that they were thinking on start making a shaving soap. I wish them all the luck. We are short on shaving soaps here in our country! We only have the "Glyce" soap from Musgo Real!

brg: Do you know if they have soaps too?

Well, I don't really know if the soap is pre-shave and its only purpose is to help exfoliate the skin prior the shave or is a true shave soap able to build a rich lather.
One thing I definitely like is that they say it has Musk scent. Musk reminds me of Tabac :cool: Oh yeah!
Anyway, brg, good find, I'll try to find out close to Confiança if this is a shave soap.

I asked Confiança about the "use" of this soap.
They say that it's a body soap that has a exfoliation property that after the bath helps to improve the shave using their shaving cream and a brush.
So, it's a bunch of baloney. :tongue:

BUT, unofficial sources told me that Confiança is thinking about making their own shaving soap. This is unofficial and top secret. Oooppss, this is the internet, this is not top secret anymore. :biggrin:

I asked Confiança about the "use" of this soap.
They say that it's a body soap that has a exfoliation property that after the bath helps to improve the shave using their shaving cream and a brush.
So, it's a bunch of baloney. :tongue:

BUT, unofficial sources told me that Confiança is thinking about making their own shaving soap. This is unofficial and top secret. Oooppss, this is the internet, this is not top secret anymore. :biggrin:

"Top Secret" like the cream? :001_smile

Good news, I used even less cream last time. Just squeezed a little bit out of the tube. This meant enough lather for three passes, but using less water and less time preparing it.

Hi Jim!

Yes, it's an interesting cream. I didn't know this product. If it's from Confiança Soaps, it must be worth a try, they are a well-reputed brand here in Portugal.
I was told that they were thinking on start making a shaving soap. I wish them all the luck. We are short on shaving soaps here in our country! We only have the "Glyce" soap from Musgo Real!

brg: Do you know if they have soaps too?

Interesting, I always thought the Glyce was a pre-shave soap, just to clean the face and soften the hair.
How is your experience with it has a shaving soap?
I am really curious now :001_smile

We only have the "Glyce" soap from Musgo Real!

Interesting, I always thought the Glyce was a pre-shave soap, just to clean the face and soften the hair.
How is your experience with it has a shaving soap?
I am really curious now :001_smile

You're right. After posting that information I began to wonder if the Glyce soap is a shaving soap, pre-shave soap or whatever. It is not for shaving purposes. It may be used to clean the face before shaving, but that's just it. It's just an ordinary face-wash soap.
So, that means that there isn't one single Portuguese shaving soap :redface:
We Portuguese are more into shaving creams apparently (Not me, I'm a soap fan).

Thanks to your insider info, I dream about the Confiança shaving soap to be. Let’s hope it comes true.

When I visit someone and see a brush in the bathroom, I always talk a bit about what kind of product they use to make lather. So far, I have found two users and both use regular bath soap. Since they shave with cartridges the lather is probably OK, since I could shave with a cartridge with only a wet face (one blade only). A shaving soap could be a good thing for them, but if one appears without advertizing (which is very likely), the regular shaver will probably completely ignore it.

We are probably more into shave cream and it is strange, because boar brushes are very popular and they are better for soaps :confused:

We are probably more into shave cream and it is strange, because boar brushes are very popular and they are better for soaps :confused:

I don't understand that either.
But that's true, our ancestors used boar brushes instead of the most expensive badger brushes.
However, at that time there were some shaving soaps that don't exist anymore, like the Soap Powder from Ach Brito that I had the luck to get one package some time ago. The package seems to be very old, but the soap remains in great condition.
Check it out:
proxy.php

Pó de sabão!? When i found a Veleiro shaving cream from Confiança i thought how lucky i was...

There is also Veleiro ASB. It's the kind of thing you can only find in small stores.

I am not that much into after shaves, but I think I'm going to buy it anyway...

My eye's ain't so good did it actually have lanolin in it? It would be rare for a cream to have that.

Yes it does. For Portuguese creams, it is not at all rare. The 4 that I own have lanolin, and so does Musgo Real.

We have no soaps, but at least we have plenty of creams with lanolin :001_smile.

EDIT: Make that 6, this one also has lanolin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom