What's new

American Optical Generals vs. Ray-Ban

AO Generals vs Ray Ban

• AO

• Ray Ban

• Neither (please list your choice below)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Sporty's Pilot Supplies - they carry Randolph and Ray-Ban. I have worn the same two pairs of Ray-Bans that I bought over 20 years ago. If I were to buy another pair of sunglasses, they would be Randolphs. I am not comfortable with the "new" Ray-Bans. I am more comfortable with something that is designed to live a hard life, I can be a little rough on things at times. The old Ray-bans were tough, the new ones seem to have gotten soft.

Randolph Engineering Sunglasses at Soprty's Pilot Supply (in Ohio)
http://sportys.com/PilotShop/category/978

Directions to Sporty's, I am not sure if this is anywhere near you. If it is, then you can go in and try sungallses on.
http://sportys.com/source/slashpages/visitUs.cfm?catalog=PilotShop

If you are planning a trip to Toronto or Vancouver, as a previous poster mentioned, we have Aviation Worlds at both those airports. They have a huge selection of sunglasses to look at.

That is a ridiculously helpful post.....thank you. But I went ahead and purchased a pair of Ray-Bans off of Amazon (had a gift card). They seem nice. With all the supportive posts for Randolph I may need to make a trip to Cinci to check them out......two pairs of aviators is okay right? Always need a back up pair.

You are welcome.

Ray-Bans are still light years ahead in quality and style than most other brands out there, you have made a good investment.

When you see the Randolphs, you will understand why there have been so many positive comments about them and you will find yourelf the proud owner and wearer of two great classics.

I picked up a pair of AOs of WW II vintage on eBay for under $100. I spent another $30 to have a optical shop disassemble them, clean everything, replace the nose pads and cable temple covers. The lens are a very light green, but they cut the glare well.

I say go with both :thumbup:. I currently own a pair of AO pilot sunglasses and I love them, but I was also checking out a pair of the Ray Ban Caravan sunglasses today and think they're pretty stylish.

proxy.php

does anyone know if the Caravan is available in the above color anymore? I didn't see it on the Ray Ban website :001_huh:

can anyone recommend any other sunglasses brands that make aviators? so far I only know of the ones mentioned in the thread in addition to Mosley Tribes, Barton Perreira, Salt Optics and Oliver Peoples. any others?

I like the look of the RE Jag's, but I keep humming the theme song to "JAG" so those are probably out.

Are RE that much better than AO?

I like the look of the RE Jag's, but I keep humming the theme song to "JAG" so those are probably out.

Are RE that much better than AO?

nothing wrong with AO--they're light years better than most glasses available today

however all RE glasses are handmade in the USA, have a lifetime warranty, and have been the primary military supplier since 1982. they use real gold plating, and are the only aviator manufacturer i'm aware of that offer bayonet temples--pilots like them because they fit under flight helmets, i like them because they don't slide down my nose like every other pair of glasses i've ever owned.

nothing wrong with AO--they're light years better than most glasses available today

however all RE glasses are handmade in the USA, have a lifetime warranty, and have been the primary military supplier since 1982. they use real gold plating, and are the only aviator manufacturer i'm aware of that offer bayonet temples--pilots like them because they fit under flight helmets, i like them because they don't slide down my nose like every other pair of glasses i've ever owned.

OK, thanks. Which model do you have?

I just ordered a pair of AO Original Aviators today with bayonet temples. Just FYI. And your comment is interesting b/c I heard the sliding down the nose was a drawback of the bayonet since there's nothing hooked around the ear to hold the glasses on. If your nose gets sweaty, they can fall right off. I went back & forth about a dozen times because of that. I'll know soon enough.

And to answer insomniac's question, I did a quick internet search and did not find anyone who boldly claimed RE were better enough to make up for the price difference over AO; most had owned REs and then were surprised when they came across some AOs b/c they were the same or just about for 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Some even thought their AOs were better. So I think it's six of one. . . Also, everyone knows each consumer's experience is different. I'm sure some guy had a kick-*** Yugo back in the day and there are people with lemon Lambroghinis, so you need to take a general consensus.

Since I'm a civilian non-pilot, I didn't have anywhere to really try either before buying them. But at 1/3 the price, I decided to try the AOs first. Found an extra 5% off for about $56 for polarized glass delivered from Optics Planet. The same style from RE were $170. (If I have to spend that much, I'll probably break down and buy the Mauis I really wanted. LOL) The one nice thing about RE is I heard they come with a little repair kit. Not sure what's in it, but I assume screws and maybe a nose pad or two? I do like that the AO parts are pretty cheap on their web site. I am iffy on the bayonet temples, but new temples are only $12, so I can swap those out much cheaper than with RE ($40).

Lastly, RE was started by an AO employee who thought he could make his glasses cheaper and win the gov't contract, so I'm hoping the similarities outweigh the differences!

I'll post a review when I get mine. Good luck to everyone looking.

I know nothing about RE but with the price points being so different, I'd say go with the AO's if budget is a factor. I've owned my AO aviators for several years now and have never had issue with them. with that said, I do like that RE's are made in the USA

AO's are made in the USA. Bayonet temples are available.

i'm assuming you mean the optics only, right? the frames on my AO's say made in China :001_huh:

Did you purchase your AO's from an authorized dealer? I have a pair of Generals in front of me and there is no made in China on the frame. Perhaps certain models are made in the USA?

Several online resellers state that all are AO's made in Southbridge, Massachusetts, USA :confused1.

Did you purchase your AO's from an authorized dealer? I have a pair of Generals in front of me and there is no made in China on the frame. Perhaps certain models are made in the USA?

Several online resellers state that all are AO's made in Southbridge, Massachusetts, USA :confused1.

Which models do you have?

Also, this may seem like an odd question, but what kind of sunglasses would go well with a fedora? I've thought about aviators since they are an older style, and of course AO and RE carry them. What else?

Top Bottom