What's new

American ginseng/tea - experiences?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 I went through an herbal supplement phase at one point. All those I picked helped, but you can't take a dozen capsules a day. At least I can't.

One that is effective, and I've gotten away from, was American ginseng. This is an informed populace, not going into detail about the stuff. However it occurred to me this could be very good for long covid symptoms. Like many here, I got dinged by that, still far from right.

Idea I had was to add AG powder to loose tea. This is a very good way (boiling) to release ginseng's active constituents. 😏 Now, I recall it tastes pretty funky. The potential health benefits indicate it's worth finding a way to make palatable. Will try honey, for one. Unsure if milk will cover that taste, but we'll see.

Anyways. Any ginseng fans here, or AG tea drinkers? Clues from anyone who's made it work are welcome. Thanks!

AA

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I used to take it daily, but that was many years ago. I take quite a few supplements daily. I feel that NAC supplements have really helped boost my immune system and knock out some nasty things. I'll have to revisit American Ginseng.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Very good American ginseng arrived, and in use:

cxvv.jpg

Have tried a few different ways: root slices in the loose tea basket, along with spoonful of tea. Also the powder, with bagged tea.

:tongue_sm The taste hasn't changed: it's "earthy" - ok - can live with that. It's also bitter, got a whang/bite, being fresh and quality 'sang. That's a bit challenging to work with, but worth doing.

In both cases, it's noticeable. Milk helps change the taste. Going to lessen the amount ... added a bit of powder to some beef gravy last night and that hid it.

I know ginseng works, and is ideal for some of my continuing health issues. Ginseng tea, by itself, is "enjoyed" by many ... would be a bit much. Internet seems to recommend honey to help with the taste, have to try that next.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🫖 ☕ Got this dialed in! A sprinkle of root slices, maybe 5-6. Spoon of Yorkshire Gold, one sweetener. Has the earthy note, but not the bitter ginseng note. In fact, it's really good... With the powder, I think, it's more noticeable.

AA

Yup I love it, even use the supplements. Not sure if it helps me or not but I take it. I used to buy the bottled drinks with a little root in them, but those got expensive and probably more sugar than ginseng. The candy is good too but makes you smell. Also we use the prince of peace brand dried ginseng for soup when I make samgytang and also add some when I make a jujube tea.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Yup I love it, even use the supplements. Not sure if it helps me or not but I take it. I used to buy the bottled drinks with a little root in them, but those got expensive and probably more sugar than ginseng. The candy is good too but makes you smell. Also we use the prince of peace brand dried ginseng for soup when I make samgytang and also add some when I make a jujube tea.
Ginseng is great stuff. I used to work within range of a good Vietnamese grocery; loved going in there and buying odd (to us) items. Those little Prince of Peace ginseng shots were fun- unsure if they helped (it's a long term thing) but they tasted great!

Also great great Asian teas there; oolongs, gunpowder/dragon well, etc.

Pork belly bahn mi sandwiches .... I need to go back there! :)

AA

Ginseng is a pretty good herbal supplement. However, long- term use (longer than 3 months) is not recommended as it can cause hypertension. It is a rather strong herb.

Other herbal supplements which could be beneficial in a similar way (anti-oxidant, immune system boosting and general improvement of vitality) are Ganoderma lucidum (chin. lingzhi, jap. Reishi) and Cordyceps sinesis (Ophiocordyceps sinensis). Both shouldn't be taken by young people (below the mid-fifties). And of course, it is advisable to inform oneself on the possible side effects, interactions, and exclusions of Ganoderma or Cordyceps as well as speaking to a healthcare professional before committing to a supplement regime.

Like @Eric_75 mentioned, I have recently started with NAC (N-Acteyl Cystein) supplements and I concur that it has a tremendous effect on the immune system, among many other benefits. Within a week of starting taking NAC people around me were exposed to some nasty stuff and while they moderately suffered through, I didn't get much more than scratchy throat. I attribute that to the NAC supplementation.

Another supplement for general health and well being is NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide). It has many positive effects on health and will even help with a proper sleep.

As with Ganoderma and Cordyceps, this is not a recommendation to anyone. As per the advice on Mayo, WebMD, etc.: talk to your healthcare provider before taking any supplements, herbal or otherwise.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Ginseng is a pretty good herbal supplement. However, long- term use (longer than 3 months) is not recommended as it can cause hypertension. It is a rather strong herb.

Other herbal supplements which could be beneficial in a similar way (anti-oxidant, immune system boosting and general improvement of vitality) are Ganoderma lucidum (chin. lingzhi, jap. Reishi) and Cordyceps sinesis (Ophiocordyceps sinensis). Both shouldn't be taken by young people (below the mid-fifties). And of course, it is advisable to inform oneself on the possible side effects, interactions, and exclusions of Ganoderma or Cordyceps as well as speaking to a healthcare professional before committing to a supplement regime.

Like @Eric_75 mentioned, I have recently started with NAC (N-Acteyl Cystein) supplements and I concur that it has a tremendous effect on the immune system, among many other benefits. Within a week of starting taking NAC people around me were exposed to some nasty stuff and while they moderately suffered through, I didn't get much more than scratchy throat. I attribute that to the NAC supplementation.

Another supplement for general health and well being is NAD+ (nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide). It has many positive effects on health and will even help with a proper sleep.

As with Ganoderma and Cordyceps, this is not a recommendation to anyone. As per the advice on Mayo, WebMD, etc.: talk to your healthcare provider before taking any supplements, herbal or otherwise.
Wow! You know your stuff, @m949 ! Thanks. Not planning on forever use of ginseng, but just to help regain energy to where I was, pre-LC.

Eric did reference NAC, I didn't Google it until now; interesting stuff! Thanks for the info!

AA

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I have no experience, but Adagio Teas has a nice selection. I don't know if the strength of the ginseng is strong enough in the tea.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
It's pretty amazing stuff. I take it daily. It has also helped with my asthma. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom