What's new

Acne Disappearing - Here's what I've been doing

What do you mean when you talk about taking care of an infection?

Just got prescribed Tretinoin (Retin-A) for my acne (per my request). It makes your face sensitive for a couple weeks while your skin gets used to it, but after 3 days (Yes THREE days), my forehead acne is just about non-existant! Tretinoin is also used for anti-aging, so I kill two birds with one stone!

Thanks dude, you're all over the forums with the helpful advice. I also went and picked up that Olay Serum with the Cerave you guys were talking about, it amazed me. My skin has improved a lot over the last week. I can't recall it being this soft since I was about 15.

I'll have to try that soap. Water intake is huge for me. I've had oily skin all my +40 years of life so my skin doesn't need much moisture, but my body certainly needs hydration. I need at least 10 glasses (14-16 is better) of water a day for my skin (and digestion) along with whatever else I drink or my face starts breaking out. I was traveling a lot last week and didn't drink enough water for a day or 2 and my face broke out immediately.

Thanks dude, you're all over the forums with the helpful advice. I also went and picked up that Olay Serum with the Cerave you guys were talking about, it amazed me. My skin has improved a lot over the last week. I can't recall it being this soft since I was about 15.

Good to hear! The Olay is a fantastic serum for a great price. I finally decided to try the CeraVe cream (in the tub) instead of the lotion in the pump bottle. It's VERY nice, but thick. More so for the body, but I like it quite a bit.

I also decided to try the Nancy Boy daily facial moisturizer and the Ultramarine night cream based on the reviews on here. After 2 weeks, I have nothing but good things to say as well about them. The shaving cream is incredible! I am hooked.

Honorable mention goes out to Kiehl's facial fuel as well. It's a little thin consistency wise, but I still like it.

*****Make sure you are using a facial sunscreen. That is the KEY to keeping your skin soft and clear. I've been using Shiseido Facial Suncreen 50+ SPF and have been happy with it. It's a bit pricy ($20 for 1.5 oz), but it's great quality and has antioxidants in it. Absorbs quickly too and doesn't bother my sensitive skin like the Helioplex in the Neutrogena sunscreens did. Coppertone makes a facial Suncreen that's gotten great reviews on the interwebs if you don't want to break the bank. Google "Oil Free faces". You can get it at WalMart. Sun Bum makes great products as well. Those are the companies I would recommend. Look for something with Zinc Oxide that is "broad spectrum".

I'm always here to help. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me!

-Chris

Last edited:
What do you mean when you talk about taking care of an infection?

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. What I was reffering to was when you have a prolonged case of bad acne, you can get redness, tenderness, and swelling. This is caused in part by a bacterial infection. This infection does not cause Acne, but makes an existing case worse. By knocking out the infection (or knocking it back so the body can deal with it) this helps with the pain and inflammation. This is one of the reasons you are not supposed to pick or try to pop pimples and black heads. You have just opened a path into you epidermus..... and there is scarring issues.

What ended up helping me knock it out was a trip to the dermataoligist. I was given a few things. I know Retin-A (SP?) was on of them. It does make your sking very UV sensitive and drys it out. However, that was the turning point in my fight against acne. I am sure there are other, more holistic methods as well but I firmly beleive that modern medicine, if used responsibly, is a very good option.

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. What I was reffering to was when you have a prolonged case of bad acne, you can get redness, tenderness, and swelling. This is caused in part by a bacterial infection. This infection does not cause Acne, but makes an existing case worse. By knocking out the infection (or knocking it back so the body can deal with it) this helps with the pain and inflammation. This is one of the reasons you are not supposed to pick or try to pop pimples and black heads. You have just opened a path into you epidermus..... and there is scarring issues.

What ended up helping me knock it out was a trip to the dermataoligist. I was given a few things. I know Retin-A (SP?) was on of them. It does make your sking very UV sensitive and drys it out. However, that was the turning point in my fight against acne. I am sure there are other, more holistic methods as well but I firmly beleive that modern medicine, if used responsibly, is a very good option.

Retin-A is a borderline miracle drug. I've never been so satisfied with a prescription medication. Sure the peeling and sensitivity sucks, but it settles down after a few weeks. I do not have ONE pimple on my face currently. This is the first time since 5th grade. Even my best friend back from college noticed when I hung out with him the other day.

Retin-A is a borderline miracle drug. I've never been so satisfied with a prescription medication. Sure the peeling and sensitivity sucks, but it settles down after a few weeks. I do not have ONE pimple on my face currently. This is the first time since 5th grade. Even my best friend back from college noticed when I hung out with him the other day.
Does the doctor require regular blood work while you are on Retin-A? I know they did years ago.

I haven't had acne in years but when I had acne, my mom gave a tube of A & D ointment to put on after washing my face at night. In the morning I washed real well to get it off. My mild acne cleared up within weeks. It turns that A & D Ointment has cod liver oil in it. I guess that's why it worked.

Does the doctor require regular blood work while you are on Retin-A? I know they did years ago.

No, I don't believe they do anymore. I was just given a facial examination. I was asked questions, but nothing different than what you would expect to be asked during a routine checkup.

No, I don't believe they do anymore. I was just given a facial examination. I was asked questions, but nothing different than what you would expect to be asked during a routine checkup.

My mistake I was referring to Accutane not Retin-A. Accutane was not even mentioned in this thread so I will leave it at that. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

My mistake I was referring to Accutane not Retin-A. Accutane was not even mentioned in this thread so I will leave it at that. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Ah, yes they still do for Accutane. I wouldn't touch that stuff with a 10 foot pole. It is way too risky of a drug.

Yeah, I was wondering if Accutane was what was being implied to take care of the infection. I have Retin-A.

NB Ultramarine is really good also, but it costs much more than the Olay serum/Cerave combo. I'm not sure it's necessarily better yet.

Yeah, I was wondering if Accutane was what was being implied to take care of the infection. I have Retin-A.

NB Ultramarine is really good also, but it costs much more than the Olay serum/Cerave combo. I'm not sure it's necessarily better yet.

Tretinoin is what is usually prescribed (Generic Retin-A) and is a LOT safer than Accutane. It's not even close.

Hmmm. My acne days are long gone, but I've found that vigorous, prolonged (1-2 minute) face lathering with a boar brush and a good post shave rub of alum block does wonders with skin infections. My skin has never looked better.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I updated this. I took the last cod liver oil capsules a week ago, but really, I pretty much finished two weeks ago. I was away for a few days and did not take the last couple capsules with me, so it has been close to 2 weeks since I took it regularly. I am only taking Now Foods Superior Adam 2x daily, and usually Korean Ginseng in the morning. My face is still pretty oily. Others after accutane were almost oil free it seemed. However, the number of pimples is definitely less than when I started. I still have a couple here and there, but overall, my face and shoulders are significantly clearer. I will probably go the rest of this summer without taking any cod liver oil, but I might start again in September.

Not sure if it was mentioned or not but have you tried organic natural apple cider vinegar? It's cheap and does wonders for acne. Many benefits:

- Helps with digestion
- Helps burn fat
- Balances the PH in your body to help with skin irregularities like acne.

1 TBSP 3x daily works great. Just take a quick shot and chase it with water.

can you show clinical date to prove it helps burn fat?

Top Bottom