What's new

Am I the Only One Who Has Never Owned a Merkur 34C?

My first DE razor. Bought 8 years ago on Amazon. Shaved with it for 8 years trying various blade, cream, soap combos and was rather happy.......until I ran across this forum and ebay razors, etc. I have gone down the rabbit hole big time with vintage Gillette. Still working through what I have purchased to determine my favorites for rotation. The Merkur is stored away for now. It was a nice starter, not as mild as a tech and will cut you if you don't pay attention but a good starter.
My god, I never dreamed there was such a thing as a rack holder for razors - I'm in too deep.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Am I the only one who has never owned a Merkur 34C? I've used the Merkur HD open comb (11C) and the HD slant bar and the barber pole slant bar, but never the 34C.

No, your not the only one who's never owned a Merkur 34C. Some of us, we don't go the typical rout, and we start buying the expensive razors right away. I myself have done that until I settled on 2 holy grails. I never purchased the 34C, and I'm at a point now, where I don't see myself buying razors anymore.

I have often considered the 34c but just never pulled the trigger. Most of my razors are vintage Gillette with a handful of modern stainless and brass razors. Just a couple of months ago, with the help of a few beers and some discounts, I decided I had to try a couple of iconic zamac razors so I sprung for the Merkur 1906 OC (I always liked the handle) and an EJ 89. Both shave just fine and I can understand why so many like them. For the record, I am a cheap razor junky and have purchased several other zamac razors for fun. Some zamac will last a long time (many vintage zamac razors over 50 years old out there). Some zamac won't. All zamac is brittle and a drop to the floor can often result in a broken razor.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
My first DE razor. Bought 8 years ago on Amazon. Shaved with it for 8 years trying various blade, cream, soap combos and was rather happy.......until I ran across this forum and ebay razors, etc. I have gone down the rabbit hole big time with vintage Gillette. Still working through what I have purchased to determine my favorites for rotation. The Merkur is stored away for now. It was a nice starter, not as mild as a tech and will cut you if you don't pay attention but a good starter.
My god, I never dreamed there was such a thing as a rack holder for razors - I'm in too deep.
You have plenty of company in the deep end, if it's any consolation my friend!
I've never even seen one in person...
Have only used vintage Gillettes so far but I've only been shaving with DEs for a few months.
You could do MUCH werser than never using anything BUT old Gillette razors. Seriously.
Had one, liked it, then PIFed after obtaining the the larger 37C(did the same w/ the slant versions)

marty
Extremely gentlemanly of you my friend. "Gentlemanly Generous!"

Top Bottom