What's new

Almost a year(d) in, how is my beard?

I feel like it's too sparse personally, especially around my cheek.

This is fresh out the shower, no products.
IMG_20240205_080927.jpg

Your mustache and chin look like a proper beard if you trimmed it.

Your cheeks not so much. How old are you?

You seem young. If so, that could possibly change as a few years go by.

One thing I say is this. Don’t force it.

To me there’s nothing worst than a guy who can’t grow a proper beard and still decides to do so. You end up looking like those bald comb over type of guy.

Know your strong areas (mustache and chin) and use it until the rest fills up.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
These questions are, of course, always a matter of personal choice. I think you'd look great with a well-trimmed goatee, but that's just me.

As someone who wore a beard for over 2 decades, an unkempt beard is not a good look for most men. I believe that if you keep it trimmed shorter and shave your neck and cheek areas regularly to keep the beard tidy, you will find that you are happier with your beard. A well trimmed beard is a more distinguished look whereas an unkempt beard just gives the appearance of laziness. This, of course, is simply an opinion by one person and is, by no means, considered as fact.

No offense, but like the other guys stated you need to do something. That just looks lazy and unkempt. Definitely clean up the cheeks and neck. I think you could have that looking good if kept short with a well trimmed stash and chin.

I'm probably biased though and new to this since I just decided to start rocking an anchor beard in Dec.

Being blunt if that is a years growing it is not like mine grew in years long ago.

Think you could shave clean, and look better, plus younger.

Last edited:
Thing about beards, you have to work with what you've got. You're 28, your beard will likely fill in more over the next 15 years.

For now, I think you'd benefit greatly from cutting a clean line at the top of the cheeks and on the neck. Giving it definition will actually make it seem less sparse. Then, (I'd probably have a good barber do this unless you're comfortable with scissors and a clipper), I'd trim the cheeks down to a medium length with clippers and fade it into the goatee area. I'd leave the goatee longer and shape it with scissors.

And, if the cheeks seem too patchy after that you could just shave them and leave the goatee, maybe try the full beard again in a year or two and see if the growth has changed significantly. You might be surprised.

Beardbrand used to have videos on the "yeard"......1yr beard. Go watch some vids there.....could find some useful info.

Looks to me that you could sport a decent mustache and or goatee, but not so much a full beard.
And I have to agree with @DesertIguana. I think you'd look great clean shaven. But, you do what makes you happy. After all, it's your face. :thumbsup:

I had a mustache from 1970 to around 95. In the 80s, I grew a full beard from Labor to Memorial Day. My cheeks always took much longer to fill in. Just about the time they filled in, I shaved for summer, keeping the mustache. This past Thanksgiving, now in my late 70s, I let it all go. I didn't like the cheek/neck growth and trimmed it back to a goatee. My wife's not complaining, so I'll keep it at least until summer.

Top Bottom