What's new

Alex Jacques Custom Damascus

so...how about the shaving?

No questions about the looks, thats just awesome, but i am wondering wether there are actually usable damacus razors of decent steel quality and if so, what they perform like.

so...how about the shaving?

No questions about the looks, thats just awesome, but i am wondering wether there are actually usable damacus razors of decent steel quality and if so, what they perform like.

Usable damascus razors? There are plenty. Have you never seen customs from Tim Zowada? Decent steel quality is key and is why this razor is just as useable as any other. The shaves are great IMO. You'll hear the same stuff from people as you hear when they debate full hollow versus wedge- it's personal preference as to what shave you like best.

Whoa! How did I miss this? Posted on my birthday, too :laugh:

That's some awesome work, Alex. Normally, I'm not a fan of carbon fiber scales, but that beautiful damascus suits it perfectly. Very artistic, yet understated in a way.

A really gorgeous razor. :smile: I'd love it have it! The combo of the Damascus steel texture and the carbon fiber's pattern—really wonderful to stare at. Hypnotic....

This might be the best looking razor I've ever seen. I love the black on black look. It's an oxymoron sort of blend of modern and vintage looks. It's the old style of shaving combined with modern materials.

Beautiful!

I'm curious about that blade. How do you get that black wood grain looking pattern on it? Is that how it was made, or is it a treatment to the metal?

What I'm asking is, can I do that to a vintage blade? If I could make a blade black like that, then I could make some similar scales and get that neat black on black look.

A stunning looking piece. The black of the blade makes it look absolutely vicious. Truly a weapon one could be proud to have in a collection!

This might be the best looking razor I've ever seen. I love the black on black look. It's an oxymoron sort of blend of modern and vintage looks. It's the old style of shaving combined with modern materials.

Beautiful!

I'm curious about that blade. How do you get that black wood grain looking pattern on it? Is that how it was made, or is it a treatment to the metal?

What I'm asking is, can I do that to a vintage blade? If I could make a blade black like that, then I could make some similar scales and get that neat black on black look.

I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I have the answer for you.

It's called Damascus, the steel used to make that blade. It's made by folding two different metals together over and over. The grains you see (the ones that mimic wood grain) are the lines of the meeting of the two metals. You can't do that to an old blade since it is actually the metal the blade is made from. You can buy one, though, as I'm sure Alex would gladly inform you. :biggrin:

Thanks Adam

That makes sense. Well I may very well have to purchase one of these blades. I really like that look a lot.

What makes the blade black though? I like the wood grain look to the blade, but even a plain black blade would look nice with those scales. Can I make a normal blade black?

Well, not exactly. This blade was posted as a "pattern welded Damascus", which isn't true Damascus steel. The grain effect was more likely than not made using an acid bath. That's why the edge doesn't have the effect, as a mask was used on the edge.

That said, you can get all sorts of effects (i.e. depending on the grain pattern of the metal) by using an acid bath. That said, any warranty you may have is voided and I take no responsibility for any damage done to your blade. ;)

I know the question wasn't directed to me, but I have the answer for you.

It's called Damascus, the steel used to make that blade. It's made by folding two different metals together over and over. The grains you see (the ones that mimic wood grain) are the lines of the meeting of the two metals. You can't do that to an old blade since it is actually the metal the blade is made from. You can buy one, though, as I'm sure Alex would gladly inform you. :biggrin:

Cool! Thanks for the info.

Are these sorts of techniques discussed in the straight resto forums, or is there someplace I can read about the process?

I'm only just starting to shave with a straight razor, but the DIYer in me knows there will be some blade/scale restoration in my future.

OK, I'll stop hijacking the thread now :)

Probably any good article on Damascus steel would do. The Wikipedia article is probably a good start. You probably want to read on pickling and etching as well.

Cool! Thanks for the info.

Are these sorts of techniques discussed in the straight resto forums, or is there someplace I can read about the process?

I'm only just starting to shave with a straight razor, but the DIYer in me knows there will be some blade/scale restoration in my future.

OK, I'll stop hijacking the thread now :)

Well, not exactly. This blade was posted as a "pattern welded Damascus", which isn't true Damascus steel. The grain effect was more likely than not made using an acid bath. That's why the edge doesn't have the effect, as a mask was used on the edge.

I thought pattern welded Damascus was still Damascus. What's the difference?

I did some more reading and it seems that true Damascus gets its distinctive look from the unique composition of Damascus as well as the hammering and folding. Patterned-welded Damascus instead is the result of using two different kinds of steel (doesn't really matter which), which is then welded together and folded; these blades are then usually enhanced visually by an acid bath. The two look very similar to one another, but only one can truly be called Damascus.

So, it seems that "Damascus" is overloaded to refer to both the effect and a specific alloy. Pattern-welded Damascus is often referred to as just Damascus, although I feel like it's most sincere to note the difference since they really are quite different. For one, I imagine that a blade made out of true Damascus would cost significantly more than pattern-welded Damascus.

I thought pattern welded Damascus was still Damascus. What's the difference?

I did some more reading and it seems that true Damascus gets its distinctive look from the unique composition of Damascus as well as the hammering and folding. Patterned-welded Damascus instead is the result of using two different kinds of steel (doesn't really matter which), which is then welded together and folded; these blades are then usually enhanced visually by an acid bath. The two look very similar to one another, but only one can truly be called Damascus.

So, it seems that "Damascus" is overloaded to refer to both the effect and a specific alloy. Pattern-welded Damascus is often referred to as just Damascus, although I feel like it's most sincere to note the difference since they really are quite different. For one, I imagine that a blade made out of true Damascus would cost significantly more than pattern-welded Damascus.

I've been doing a little reading, too, and it seems that the process for making true Damascus doesn't exist anymore. What, exactly, Damascus is still eludes me. I can't decide if the word "Damascus" refers to a specific alloy or a process of combining two different metals to form one (which would be an alloy, I suppose). Either way, "pattern welded" would seem to be the correct term for the Jaques blade above, and the 'grain' that appears really is the presence of two different metals. The acid in the bath just reacts differently with each metal, leaving each one a different color. As for the solid color edge, it could be that the pattern welded steel was folded around a separate, high carbon steel. I don't know if that is the case with this knife, but that seems to be a fairly common practice.

In conclusion, were we just arguing the label we give the steel that blade is made from? I concede that it is not Damascus, but am I right that the pattern results from the two different steels, right?

The initial post explains why the edge looks like one large shiny band: "Keep in mind that these photos are pre-honing (the edge in the photos looks thick/blemished doesn’t it? lol). Along the edge of the razor you may notice a shiny strip where the steel is not etched though- this is not the honed bevel, but rather a section where I used a ‘resist’ to keep the etch from bringing out the pattern in the steel."

One could potentially reforge an old Damascus blade (one, say, that is beat up beyond hope in its original form) to get a true Damascus razor, even if knowledge of the exact Damascus process is no longer in living memory. I couldn't quite figure out with the amount of research I did if such knowledge is actually completely gone, though, so I'll refrain from making that judgment. But, it seems definitively true based on materials analysis that real Damascus is only one alloy and not two like pattern-welded Damascus. Regarding you saying, "[...] or a process of combining two different metals to form one (which would be an alloy, I suppose)", it would be two alloys. I would call it a laminate but don't know the technical term for it.

My original point was just noting that the blade was pattern-welded and not true Damascus since Hayduke wanted to know what this razor was. And yup, for this blade, the pattern comes from the use of two different steels (one with a higher carbon content, I think); that's how the etching does its beautiful magic. True Damascus gets the pattern for a different reason, which is confusing without a fair amount of materials knowledge (which I can't say I have sufficient knowledge of, to my lament), and something I can only claim to have a basic grasp of. I think someone with a really good knowledge of metals should run a workshop on this sort of thing. :-D

I've been doing a little reading, too, and it seems that the process for making true Damascus doesn't exist anymore. What, exactly, Damascus is still eludes me. I can't decide if the word "Damascus" refers to a specific alloy or a process of combining two different metals to form one (which would be an alloy, I suppose). Either way, "pattern welded" would seem to be the correct term for the Jaques blade above, and the 'grain' that appears really is the presence of two different metals. The acid in the bath just reacts differently with each metal, leaving each one a different color. As for the solid color edge, it could be that the pattern welded steel was folded around a separate, high carbon steel. I don't know if that is the case with this knife, but that seems to be a fairly common practice.

In conclusion, were we just arguing the label we give the steel that blade is made from? I concede that it is not Damascus, but am I right that the pattern results from the two different steels, right?

Interesting discussion gents. Sorry to the OP for derailing the thread with my questions :(

I like the pattern a lot, but even a plain black blade would look cool as long as it still shaved well.

I thought I was going to be able to resist getting into blade restoration for at least my first year of using a straight, but this razor is so attractive, that timeline might get accelerated a bit :p

Top Bottom