What's new

Airline DE razor that passes restriction

Well, I read here about new travel rules where security is confiscating DE razors. I imagine it was because they got tired of having to ask travelers to disassemble their razors. So. I mailed blades to my family & friends I'm visiting and packed a Phoenix Artisan Filament in my carry on. It does not really show up on X-Rays, So went through with no problem. Not my favorite razor, but sure beats carts, and also, I no longer own an electric. Happy traveling.

This seems to come up every month or so...

TSA agents in US have wide latitude to confiscate DE razors, even with no blades.

I do not recommend attempting to use logic with TSA agents ("How is it dangerous without a blade?", etc.). I foresee that this would not produce positive results.

My recommendation is to avoid DE razors of any kind in checked luggage.

If I can avoid confiscation of a DE razor (maybe I got lucky, but it seems I have). It doesn't seem to be going to extreme lengths to not have to shave with a Cart Razor. Very thankful to have a DE on my trip.

Non-metallic razors beat X-rays, but not spot checks. I bet breaking a razor down in three pieces and storing them in different areas would diminish the risk of seizure.
Merkur travel DE razors (933 closed comb and 985 open comb) have a two piece handle and a two piece head. I fly with three pieces of handle (an extra short piece to make a longer handle) and three pieces of head (top plate, 933 plate and 985 plate) spread around my cabin bag and have never had a problem passing through security. Thus far, I have only once encountered a problem sourcing DE blades at a destination in the Canary Islands.

IMO, the TSA can apply arbitrary standards, despite what they publish. I think anyone would be better served by using a single edge cart, like a BIC metal. Shaves well and you won't cry if it gets confiscated or lost.

My two cents.
+1! Yes indeed!! TSA agents are unpredictable and arbitrary. Not a good combination!! :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

This seems to come up every month or so...

TSA agents in US have wide latitude to confiscate DE razors, even with no blades.

I do not recommend attempting to use logic with TSA agents ("How is it dangerous without a blade?", etc.). I foresee that this would not produce positive results.

My recommendation is to avoid DE razors of any kind in checked luggage.

IMO, the TSA can apply arbitrary standards, despite what they publish. I think anyone would be better served by using a single edge cart, like a BIC metal. Shaves well and you won't cry if it gets confiscated or lost.

My two cents.
I guess it depends on how much you loathe carts. I do. If I use a BIC disposable of any kind, it's like I went through a car windshield. I found, for me a permanent solution. Two cities, not a blip of any kind.

I guess it depends on how much you loathe carts. I do. If I use a BIC disposable of any kind, it's like I went through a car windshield. I found, for me a permanent solution. Two cities, not a blip of any kind.
Totally get it and I'm glad you found a solution to your liking.

While I would not make carts a regular part of my shaving routine, single edge razors like the BIC Metal and the BIC Sensitive will give a pretty decent shave with no muss or fuss. YMMV.

I'm just pointing out the perils of TSA confiscation to other B&B users in the interest of full disclosure.

Thanks!

Non-metallic razors beat X-rays, but not spot checks. I bet breaking a razor down in three pieces and storing them in different areas would diminish the risk of seizure.
This, for sure. I have a Tech cap that doubles as a belt buckle. The guard is a 3D printed open comb piece that goes in with the grooming stuff (call it a sideburn comb, eyebrow groomer, whatever you want to call it). The handle gets a little magnifying glass screwed onto it. No one is ever going to find and identify all these pieces unless they’re regulars on the B&B forums.

This, for sure. I have a Tech cap that doubles as a belt buckle. The guard is a 3D printed open comb piece that goes in with the grooming stuff (call it a sideburn comb, eyebrow groomer, whatever you want to call it). The handle gets a little magnifying glass screwed onto it. No one is ever going to find and identify all these pieces unless they’re regulars on the B&B forums.
Hilarious!

We need a picture of these elements!

I plan to be traveling later this month. Roughly a week out of town visiting family. I am debating just not shaving. I think I have shaving stuff at my parents' place, but if not I'll probably skip it or just borrow my dad's setup with a fresh cartridge on that last day before flying out so I don't look TOO scruffy while traveling.

Create one of these. They are great! DE head, cart body. Best of both worlds!

Attachments

• IMG_5710 - Copy.jpeg
    IMG_5710 - Copy.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
I pack my DE razor and blades in the checked baggage. Haven't had a problem, yet.
I should've mentioned it, but this post was intended for Cary on. Checked baggage is becoming something many airlines are doing very badly, and frlibequently loosing, then finding later. That's less of a problem then issue that in the anti-customer service world we now live in, on top of that, they don't care. My sons went to Italy with some friends re entry. They only did Cary on, their friends checked bags. The friends luggage was lost for Teo days. The airline called them and told them they would make no attempt to get it to them, but they could pick it up. Airport was 40 minute drive from where they were staying. Not cool. But this is the world we now live in.

I travel carry-on only, and DE shaving just isn't worth the hassle of trying to get blades where I'm going or checking a bag. I mostly use carts anyway these days, so I just toss in a Gillette Guard, a couple of extra carts, shave stick, and a travel brush and call it good.

Reactions: abj
Top Bottom