What's new

Advice on cheapest way to get started?

I'm a student with limited funds, but I really think I'd like to give straight razors a try. I wanted to know whether this sounds like a good shopping list to get started and see if I like shaving with a straight (considering I already have some basic stuff from shaving with a DE).

* Vintage / used razor or two that's "shave ready" from an experienced member on here or straightrazorplace ($30-$50 for a no-frills starter?)

* Tony Miller 4 sided paddle strop pre-pasted with 3.0, 1.0 and 0.5 micron pastes, and one side plain for stropping ($65-ish?)

Is there anything I'm missing? I went through the whole interactive guide and a bunch of newbie threads trying to figure this out. Am I right in assuming that this should give me enough to start, and I could look at buying a separate hanging strop and DMT/Norton hones later if I decided I liked it?

Thanks,
Eric

eric-

that sounds like a great plan. good to start out simple. if you just cant figure it out or decide that it isnt for you, you arent out much and can resell it pretty easily.

if the razor is indeed shave ready you wont need to use the pasted sides of the paddle very often.

after a number of shaves (say 10-20) you can refresh the edge with a little work on the pastes. eventually you will need a fine hone to get it back in shape. if you dont get into restoration (or need to remove a ding) you should be fine with just those items.

truly, a decent vintage razor can shave pretty much as well as much more expensive ones. personally, i really like the older ones.

welcome into the fray!
ryan

You've basically figured out for yourself what I tell people asking the very same question.

You'll want a hanging strop eventually, but a paddle is a good way to start on the cheap.

Makes sense to me. Although I'm guessing you'd want a hanging strop eventually, you'd really never need anything else. My understanding is you can keep a razor in top shape for a very long time on just a pasted strop. When your razors do need a little touch up, you can then always send them out to an expert. Or you can get into honing yourself, if you want, and are willing to spend money on hones.

Sounds like a great setup. I'm really impressed with just how easy it is to make a decent edge, or one that needs touching up, really really really sharp on a diamond paddle. As long as you can manage the basic dexterity to keep the blade flat and not apply too much pressure, it is super easy.

-Mo

I'm a student with limited funds, but I really think I'd like to give straight razors a try. I wanted to know whether this sounds like a good shopping list to get started and see if I like shaving with a straight (considering I already have some basic stuff from shaving with a DE).

* Vintage / used razor or two that's "shave ready" from an experienced member on here or straightrazorplace ($30-$50 for a no-frills starter?)

* Tony Miller 4 sided paddle strop pre-pasted with 3.0, 1.0 and 0.5 micron pastes, and one side plain for stropping ($65-ish?)

Is there anything I'm missing? I went through the whole interactive guide and a bunch of newbie threads trying to figure this out. Am I right in assuming that this should give me enough to start, and I could look at buying a separate hanging strop and DMT/Norton hones later if I decided I liked it?

Thanks,
Eric

Eric, sounds like a good plan to me. IMHO, don't get into the hones before you are sure straight razor shaving is for you. Enjoy the ride on the cutting edge!:cool:

I have to admit that I'm still a little new around here, but if you're planning on buying everything you need, Tony just posted his "starter sets" back up on his site. Brush, mug, soap, styptic pencil, shave-ready DOVO razor, and instructions on how to care for it. (link)

That plus the 4-paddle strop (with 3-sides pasted) should run you under $200, I think. Of course, the paddle strops are out of stock at the moment, but supposedly should be back next week. I, for one, can't wait, since I just ordered a DOVO Renaissance the other day so I can add a straight to my collection.

Good luck!

I have to admit that I'm still a little new around here, but if you're planning on buying everything you need, Tony just posted his "starter sets" back up on his site. Brush, mug, soap, styptic pencil, shave-ready DOVO razor, and instructions on how to care for it. (link)

That could be a good option for someone who has absolutely nothing. For a fellow already DE shaving, though, there's no need for the mug, brush, soap, etc, so just a razor and a four sided paddle would do it.

-Mo

Try your local walmart, thrift and even army surplus stores you d be surprised how many straights a place like an army outfitter has. Dont forget Booster !

That could be a good option for someone who has absolutely nothing. For a fellow already DE shaving, though, there's no need for the mug, brush, soap, etc, so just a razor and a four sided paddle would do it.

-Mo

Absolutely correct! I was reading a little too quickly, and missed that he did already have the basics.

tonight the Straightrazorplace forum is giving away a starter set. The raffle is open to anyone who registers and enters by today. you may want to check it out. it's a sticky in the newbie section at SRP.

tonight the Straightrazorplace forum is giving away a starter set. The raffle is open to anyone who registers and enters by today. you may want to check it out. it's a sticky in the newbie section at SRP.

Thanks for the heads up! I just registered and threw my name in the hat.

i dont know if you have a flea market near you but i got a strop and a good shaving quality razor for $35 all told at a flea market and a burma shave brush and some williams soap at wally world for about $7-$8

Top Bottom