What's new

Advice needed by new Futur user

Do not under any circumstances adjust this razor mid-shave with wet lather lubricated hands. In fact I never adjust this razor without a wash cloth over the head while I twist the handle with my other hand. I've learned this the hard way. That out of the way you'll really enjoy this kit as it gives terrific shaves. I think it's wise to start any adjustable you're unfamiliar with, at a low setting then as you refine your technique (and the Futur is somewhat different than other adjustables) gradually turn it up on subsequent shaves. You'll quickly find the sweet-spot that works best for you. This is a razor that's always in my weekly rotation. My only design complaint is the slippery handle which I address by having a hand-towel ready to keep one hand dry.

I wish I had known this back in 2004 when I got my Futur. It could have saved me several clean, slices in my thumb several times over multiple occasions![/QUOTE

Hey don't feel alone. Sliced my thumb on the first day owning the Futur. Was following the instructions from Merkur and my thumb slipped. Nasty cut that took two weeks to heal.

Hey don't feel alone. Sliced my thumb on the first day owning the Futur. Was following the instructions from Merkur and my thumb slipped. Nasty cut that took two weeks to heal.

The adjustment mechanism was so hard to turn when it was new. It's a lot easier to turn now. I don't have to worry about sliced fingers any longer.

late to this thread, i know. but thought I would add my input as a relative newbie and futur owner. I have had better smoother shaves with the future than the EJ 89 oftentimes. Best shaves I have had actually was with a feather and a future at 3 for face/chin and 1 on neck. I have even tried it at 6 WTG and XTG. Which is pretty great--NO pressure at all and hold it at the lower end of the indent on the handle and its perfectly balanced. Pretty amazing. Though I chickened out on my chin, I have to admit and dialed it back down to a 3. Could get by with one pass. I too sliced my thumb on the first day of ownership. Never hold it by the ends of the head to adjust. use a towel on the counter (put head on towel, twist). Also, make sure the head is calibrated correctly. At the lowest setting the blade holder should be right against the lower head, with no gap in the slot it sits in. Its easy when you are reassembling it to get it wrong and leave a FAR too wide gap. If you find it hard to turn, use a water/soap resistant light grease in the threads (auto parts stores have them) or a very slight amount of graphite powder. Much smoother. If you use wd40 it will just run out when you are rinsing or get on your face as your shave and wd40 is not a proper lubricant in any case.

OK... all you first time Futur users, hold up your thumbs and get counted :ohmy:

proxy.php

Well, reading this, all I can say is that you are a cack handed lot to all cut yourself with a Futur! I've had one several years and no cuts, SO FAR!

I used to live next door to a glazier and he never wore gloves to carry glass. Don't be afraid of it and you won't get cut he'd say. He was right. I helped him carry large sheets of glass without work gloves and I've never used a towel to adjust or change blades on the Futur!

After saying that, I think I'll check out the first aid kit in the bog!

Just to be different, I usually start low, around 4 and then go up to a 6 or 7 for the last ATG pass so I can get all the difficult to catch whiskers! Usually use a Feather or an Astra in the Futur.

Gareth

The first Futur I got came with a very PROMINENT warning. The previous owner left it in a puddle of blood when they were off to the emergency room. When I got it, the blood was dry and there was little finish on the razor where the blood sat and dissolved it.

It did clean up but there are still a LOT of pits and not much finish around the head.

Sort of gave me a heads up about watching what I was doing... I've been playing around with straights for the past few weeks and now I think the Futur is child's play by comparison.

This is the "drive by shooting" one I got.... Seeing this pic still gives me the willies and I have had that razor for a while now

proxy.php

At least that one had the decency to attempt seppuku after attacking its master.

I don't use a towel to adjust, but when my Futur was new it was painfully difficult to adjust. Using a towel for safety is a good idea until the razor is broken in and adjusts smoothly. Using brute force without protection often ends in disaster.

Top Bottom