What's new

Adoration admiration

It has been a few since restoring a brush and thought I’d share a recent acquisition.

I’ve been admiring (and pining) for an Adoration brush for some time. Was hoping for one with a marbleized lower, but Adoration brushes don’t come up too often. When I saw this brush I thought, “What the hell” and decided to take the plunge.

The brush arrived in surprisingly good condition. OK, better than good. Branding was intact and my initial evaluation – requires a little cleaning, sanding, and polishing. Of course, it came dressed in boar.

Pics when it arrived. . . .

Measurements upon arrival. . . .

Overall height: 169mm
Handle height = 92mm
Loft height = 77mm
Knot size [hair diameter at base] = 29.9mm
Grip ring [narrow part of handle] = 21mm
Base of handle = 26.3mm
Weight: 3.7 oz or 105g

Based on the size of the existing knot, this is going to take a big badger. lol

After an initial cleaning (dishwashing soap and a toothbrush). . . .the upper portion of the handle is in superb condition, with a few scuffs and shallow scratches. There were a couple of areas on the acrylic portion that are nicked, scratched. The excitement built rapidly.

I’m not a boar kind of person, so knot removal time.

I used a utility knife to take the knot as close to the hole / handle as possible.

There was a glue bump remaining, so used a portable sander to take the glue bump down (make it level).

A picture to better show the lower portion of the handle (scuffs, handling marks, etc.).

Pressed on with the knot removal.

With the scratches, scuff marks, handling marks (located mainly on the lower third of the handle), I decided to break the sanding down into four separate areas.

Base of handle – 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper.

Lower Third of brush handle – 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper.

The lip of the knot hole had a rather sharp edge, so I used 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper to ease the edge.

Rest of handle. . . .600, 800, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 3000 wet dry sandpaper.

Post-sanding. . . .

Until this point, I’m contemplating the color selection for the branding. Narrowed it down to red, yellow, or orange. Orange won. I always apply two applications of paint, with a 24 hour drying time between applications and before polishing. Laid the paint down thick, then used my squeegies (small, cut pieces of old windshield wiper blade) to level and pick up the excess paint. I let the paint set up for 15 – 20 minutes and then went over the surrounding areas with Flitz and Q-Tips.

Polishing was a breeze and here it is. . . . .all dressed up and knot at the ready (TGN 28mm Finest, bulb).

I'll finish the restoration in a day or so and throw up some post-bloom pics.

Last edited:
That thing is gorgeous Gigster! If you got this on the bay, then you're the one who beat me for it, and I'm glad it was you because this thing looks phenomenal! Great work sir!

Holy cow! :w00t: That is a fantastic brush and an awesome restoration. Thank you for the photographic record of the process.

Wow! Looking great gig! Nice to see some work on here again. I really need to find some windshield wipers.

Gigster, I just noticed that you're supposed to be doing the 2013 Sabbatical... I think you should probably hand this over to ME. :p

WOW! Can't wait to see the finished item, thanks for this post, very informative in the processes in which you have achieved this fine piece.

Appreciate the kind comments.

I was shocked how well it turned out after polishing. This may be the best restoration I've completed (so far).

Shoved the new knot in the handle tonight. :w00t:

Gigster, I just noticed that you're supposed to be doing the 2013 Sabbatical... I think you should probably hand this over to ME. :p

Multiple choice. . . .

1. I have a note from my Mom.
2. I slipped and bumped my head.
3. Sleep surfing.

Take your pick. :001_tongu

Actually, I weighed my options. . . .a little slip in the Sabbatical vs. how hard these brushes are to find. Guess who won (or lost)? :a14:

Pre-Bloom pics. . . .

Post-Bloom pics. . . . .

Final measurements:

Overall height: 142.65mm
Handle height = 92mm
Loft height = 50.65mm
Knot type = TGN 28mm Silvertip 2-Band Finest
Knot size in handle [hair diameter at base] = 30.09mm
Grip ring [narrow part of handle] = 21mm
Base of handle = 26.3mm
Weight: 3.6 oz or 102g

BIG brush! :biggrin1:

First use. . . .the knot tips are very, very soft, superb backbone (major dent in puck of soap), and produces copious amounts of lather. Love TGN knots!

Contemplated several loft heights, but settled with the set loft. It should bloom a tad bit more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom