What's new

Adjustable DE Razor - Item of the Week 7/1/13

1975 V-1 Gillette Super Adjustable (Short Handle)
Feather Hi-Stainless (2)
Vintage Century Badger
La Toja Cream
Meehan Bay Rhum AS

$SOTD07012013C.jpg

I messed up and shaved with my TV Special but I will switch over to my Slim tomorrow and test out some new blades.

IOTW, Any Adjustable Razor, Monday, July 1st 2013

Gillette Aristocrat Adjustable, loaded with Souplex blade (very nice), on #4
Prep with shower and Maggard's PSO
T&H West Indian Limes cream + T&H silver tip brush in a coffee mug
Three passes, then cool water rinse
After, Dickensons witch hazel splash and T&H West Indian Limes A/S (yummy a/s)
Very refreshing.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Prep: Shower, Preshave Oil
Soap: TOBS Jermyn Street
Brush: Simpson Duke 2
Razor: Futur @ 1
Blade: PolSilver SI (1)

The Futur is my favorite razor by a long shot. With adjustable razors I am a "set it & forget it" type guy, meaning I do no setting changes during the shave. As an everyday shaver I can get a very comfortable, nick free shave set at 1. It takes me 2 passes plus touch-ups to complete my shaves and this morning was no exception.

Re the futur, the B&B wiki puts the blade gap of the Futur @ 1, approx same as Gillette Adjustable @ 8!!
that resonates with my brief experience with these two nice razors.

Prep: Shower, Preshave Oil
Soap: Trumpers Coconut oil cream
Brush: Omega 10066
Razor: Progress
Blade: Derby (2)

Second time using the Progress. Set it at 1.5 and it seems to work great for me. I am able to get three passes and other then a little nick today it is very comfortable. I like everything about this razor so far.
Cheers!

Razor: Gillette Toggle F4 (opened up to 9)
Sample of TOBS Eton (good stuff)
English Wilkinson (1)
Alum Bloc and GFT Skin Food finish.

$P7010025.jpg

Honestly one of the best shaves I have gotten so far with a DE. I dont know if it was because I finally opened up the gap on the Toggle, or the blade that Turtle sent me that made the difference. It could have been the cream too, as I have never used it before. ( I have used TOBS though, and I imagine they are all pretty much the same)

I'll have to try the Wlkinson in a different razor (maybe executive next... or the Fat Boy) but I have a feeling I'll be using this blade a while... :lol:

I skipped Monday since it was a holiday, so here is Tuesday:

Fatboy with Gillette 7 O'Clock black
SOC boar
Valobra stick
RR alum
Proraso green AS

I haven't used my Fatboy in a couple weeks and coupled with the G7OC blade gives a spectacular shave. I had the Fatboy set at 5 for all three passes. I usually don't adjust the razor between passes.
On a side note, I haven't used the Valobra stick since the winter and have forgotten how great a soap it really is.

This morning's shave was great!
O-1 Super Adjustable on 8
MWF
RazoRock alum stick
Ogallala Bay Rum Sage and Cedar
(or is it Cedar and Sage?) whatever
DFS in 3 comfortable passes w/ minor touch-ups.
The smooth by rum burn was a great wake-up call.

'68 Slim / Crystal Blade on 5th shave
Handlebar Avocado Cream / Woods of Windsor Boar brush
Captain's Choice Co'9T (really diggin' this stuff!)

Got a thick, creamy lather from the Handlebar Avocado - this stuff smells great & works even better.

Was lazy this morning and left the razor set to 8 throughout for DFS+ results. No irritation at all, though I could tell that the blade had run its course after my second pass and decided against going for BBS this morning. I'm going to open the pack of Personna Platinums that I got in my last sampler pack tomorrow.

Co'9T had no sting, but got plenty warm - ready to face the day!

I got the Progress I was waiting for in the mail yesterday. I used it this morning set on 2 with a 7 O'Clock Black (2). I got a BBS out of it with a bit of irritation around my adam's apple. This was the closest shave I've achieved in a while.

I may try to set the Progress down to 1.5 or 1 for the next shave or start at 2 for WTG and XTG and 1 or 1.5 for the ATG pass and see how it goes. The Progress is easier to adjust during the shave than the Slim since there is no need to loosen the silo doors like on the Slim.

IOTW, Tuesday, July 2nd
Merkur Futur adjustable razor (on #2) with Souplex blade (#3)

GFT Coconut Oil shave cream (from Phil's damaged and dent sale) + Shavemac silvertip 227
Prep with shower and Maggards PSO
Two passes and a bit of touchup
After, Dickenson's witch hazel + Penhaligon's BB A/S
Really creamy!

coconut_and_futur_july_2_2013.jpg

Last edited:
and you just happened to have a coconut laying around to hit with a sledgehammer...? :lol:

That is an awesome photo though, seriously

Top Bottom