What's new

Adding a pure badger brush

I am wanting to add a pure badger brush to my rotation so as to reduce the daily use of my Simpson Duke 3. I am considering the Simpson eagle, the Shavemac #25, and the saville row 1124. Any recommendations? Thanks for your input.

I don't have much experience with pure badger but I had a Simpson in pure and it was softer than I expected, damn fine brush. If it wasn't destroyed by a friends dog I'd still be using it. When I have the loot I'll be buying a Simpson Beaufort. Hope this helps.

I am wanting to add a pure badger brush to my rotation so as to reduce the daily use of my Simpson Duke 3. I am considering the Simpson eagle, the Shavemac #25, and the saville row 1124. Any recommendations? Thanks for your input.

I really like how the Duke and Eagle look. I am considering purchasing either a Duke or Eagle... Get the eagle and let me know!! :001_smile

Both of my pures came from TGN for Ever-Ready restores and I was pleasantly surprised and keep one in rotation continually. Badger softness with a little scritch. Not sure if the brushes you mentioned would be much different?

I'd look into one of the Beaufort's. I would take this as an oppertunity of getting a different handle design and rule out a duke in pure. An Eagle is going to look pretty puny next to your D3. A Special will look even smaller. The Beaufort's come in quite a lot of sizes IIRC. I do love my Special but I like brushes in the 20mm knot range and it looks kinda small next to them.

Honestly I'd skip the Pure and get a Black Badger knot from TGN or have one done by Rudy Vey or e-mail Penworks for a completed Black Badger Brush. You'd get to select a wider Variety of Handles, the Black Badger has the Exfoliating Capability and Backbone of a Pure + it looks much nicer. I just put a TGN Black Badger @ 50mm/22mm in a stock Black TGN Handle, total cost $36.00 with shipping, Observe;

Attachments

• $IMG_2250.jpg
    $IMG_2250.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 138
  • $IMG_2241.jpg
    $IMG_2241.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 137
  • $IMG_2249.jpg
    $IMG_2249.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 138
All my Simpsons are in Best, but I have been tempted to buy an Eagle as I love the look of the handle. I've also been tempted to try the Simpson Special in Pure for $25 to compare to my Special in Best.

Honestly I'd skip the Pure and get a Black Badger knot from TGN or have one done by Rudy Vey or e-mail Penworks for a completed Black Badger Brush. You'd get to select a wider Variety of Handles, the Black Badger has the Exfoliating Capability and Backbone of a Pure + it looks much nicer. I just put a TGN Black Badger @ 50mm/22mm in a stock Black TGN Handle, total cost $36.00 with shipping, Observe;

I bought a Black Badger from Larry awhile back, I was hesitant but Larry recommended it. To be honest I just wanted something that would look good in the handle, I wasn't really planing on using the brush. After you set the knot you really have to try it, I'm a face lather and I was very surprised, really every thing I wanted in a brush. Oh I have a nice selections of other brushes they just don't get the use of this lowly black badger. YMMV

mftoms59

Beautiful brush. What does "TGN" stand for and how do I contact Rudy Vey? Thanks

The Golden Nib, They carry all Grades of Badger knots, Boar knots and some Brush Handles, they specialize in Fountain Pen parts; http://www.thegoldennib.com/ They have a second Site with completed pens & Shaving Brushes; http://www.penworks.us//

Just type in Rudy Vey in the address box when composing a PM, he will respond usually within 24 hours. Browse his Thread of Brushes he's made for other Wet shavers, I sent a Vie-Long Horse Brush & he removed the knot and set it in the handle, with the height of the loft I desired.

I listed the Page & Post Number Shape & color handle I liked, If you have an original shape & color Idea just put it in your PM. It may take a couple of PM's to work out what you want but he works Fast, it was a total of 7 Days from my mailing the Vie-Long to getting my Brush Back; http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/160924-Rudy-Vey-Custom-Shaving-Brushes-and-Restorations

Here's Mine, Original to "Green Lantern";

Attachments

• $Vie-Long 1.jpg
    $Vie-Long 1.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 90
  • $Vie-Long Knot.jpg
    $Vie-Long Knot.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 91
I bought a Black Badger from Larry awhile back, I was hesitant but Larry recommended it. To be honest I just wanted something that would look good in the handle, I wasn't really planing on using the brush. After you set the knot you really have to try it, I'm a face lather and I was very surprised, really every thing I wanted in a brush. Oh I have a nice selections of other brushes they just don't get the use of this lowly black badger. YMMV

I prefer the Black Badger to a Pure, same Backbone with less Prickliness, and Better Looking!

I have PM'd Mr. Vey regarding a custom brush in black vs. pure badger with a 22mm knot, 42-44mm loft set in a Butterscotch pearl handle with a shape similar to a Simpson Duke. I love the density of the Duke 3 and the handle design, size, and weight. Just looking for a brush with a little more exfoliation to add to the rotation. To boot, I'll likely request some monogramming.... why "knot" right?!

I have PM'd Mr. Vey regarding a custom brush in black vs. pure badger with a 22mm knot, 42-44mm loft set in a Butterscotch pearl handle with a shape similar to a Simpson Duke. I love the density of the Duke 3 and the handle design, size, and weight. Just looking for a brush with a little more exfoliation to add to the rotation. To boot, I'll likely request some monogramming.... why "knot" right?!

Back Badger, Black Badger, Black Badger... just my opinion :001_tt1:, especially with Butterscotch

Top Bottom