What's new

Acquisitions Monday Apr 24 - Sunday Apr 30

full

Last edited by a moderator:
1951 Gillette Super Speed with black handles (stamped with W/4).

1930's Era, Gillette 3-piece with Bulldog handle (no SN & Gillette Diamond with arrows).

full

Stopped by Target today - and purchased some obligatory Proraso/Omega products. SUPER cheap, and I have been wanting an omega boar brush for awhile - I figured might as well!

joel said:
full

Stopped by Target today - and purchased some obligatory Proraso/Omega products. SUPER cheap, and I have been wanting an omega boar brush for awhile - I figured might as well!

The man's about to have $10,000 worth of shaving brushes at his disposable...and he buys an Omega. :cool:

Randy

rtaylor61 said:
The man's about to have $10,000 worth of shaving brushes at his disposable...and he buys an Omega. :cool:

Randy

Randy,
To be honest with you.... my experience is that quite often that the more expensive the item... the more it dissapoints. I'd like really give this Omega a go - as it would be mighty neat to be able to refer fellas to Target to get a cake of proraso (or tube) and begin their wetshaving experience without spending a lot of money. Something kinda funny? I had JUST as much fun with my $40 vulfix and a cake of williams than I am having now with expensive shaving brushes and expensive soaps. Unless you wanna make it a hobby.... I think you could effectively, efficiently and luxuriously wetshave for under $50.

Joel,

I'll agree. Merkur HD Classic, Omega Brush, Proraso tub (I prefer it to the tube) and you are set. Unfortunately, what you "are set" for is a long excursion of buying stuff. You'll like the brush. It's no Shavemac, but spin that puppy around a few hard soaps...damn!

Randy

joel said:
Randy,
To be honest with you.... my experience is that quite often that the more expensive the item... the more it dissapoints. I'd like really give this Omega a go - as it would be mighty neat to be able to refer fellas to Target to get a cake of proraso (or tube) and begin their wetshaving experience without spending a lot of money. Something kinda funny? I had JUST as much fun with my $40 vulfix and a cake of williams than I am having now with expensive shaving brushes and expensive soaps. Unless you wanna make it a hobby.... I think you could effectively, efficiently and luxuriously wetshave for under $50.

I don't know that I wholly agree. I believe the top three factors in achieving a great shave are mastering razor pressure, blade angle, and lather creation. As I traveled down the wet shaving "road" I found that mastery of lather creation took the longest and once achieved made the biggest difference in my shave.

I certainly believe that a good and maybe even great lather can be created with a lesser brush, however, the learning curve is greater. For $40-$60 you can get a very forgiving brush that will allow you to achieve a great lather while you hone your skills. Once you have the skills, it is dramatically easier to use a lesser tool and still reach your goal.

By no means do I believe it necessary to buy a $100+ brush to get great shaves (don't tell my wife I said this). At the same time, when you start looking at a brush that is cheaper than the $40-$60 range, I believe the quality and longevity of the brush really start to be reflected by the price.

Having said all of this, I realize that it does contradict some of my earlier posts (Tweezerman brush), but I've shaved quite a few times since those posts and my outlook has changed a little.

full

Pure, Best and Silvertip (Respectively) for a "Pictorial" on the differences between the three grades in terms of lathering, feel, cost, etc. Many fellas want to know why one brush is a heck of a lot more than the other. I tried to get similar knot sizes, from the same manufacture, all new - so as to alleviate as many variables as possible! This will be a fun, and interesting test to perform whilst we wait for the last few "contenders" to arrive!

Goodies from the UPS man!
full

Trumpers Violet
Salters Citrus
Salters Mint
Taylors St. James

And a new concoction from Charles - Cassia/nutmeg/clove/sweet orange bath bar :drool:

roughrider said:
Scotto, what's charles charging for the new bath bars?
Dunno, it was a comp :blushing: He said this scent isn't available yet, so you'll have to drool.

BTW, Jerry - you are going to love that JF soap. It is absolutely top-notch

Scotto:

I've heard it was....probably from you! I've really developed an appreciation for the really top quality soaps. I'm curious to see if this can knock D R Harris off my top spot!

Today: Proraso "Crema Liquida Dopobarba" and a green tube of "Sapone Da Barba". I found 2 local stores that cary Proraso (one of which is less than 1/2 a mile away), but neither of them had the pre/post in stock, so that purchase will have to wait.

Yesterday: C&E Sweet Almond Oil cream (and samples of Sienna & Nomad) plus some Body Shop cream (I was curious and it was inexpensive - anybody have any thoughts on this stuff? :confused: ).

I used the C&E Almond this morning, it was great (nice lather and fantastic scent). Maybe tomorrow one of the other C&Es... or maybe it will be a Proraso Morning.

I use The Body Shop cream and enjoy it. Some have commented that they didin't care for the scent, but find it pleasant.

Randy

Have had a busy work week and have had a hard time getting time to take pix, but here's some new stuff:

Here are some new Derby's courtesy of Ron (Where-ever you are Ron, hope to see you back on the B&B board if you're out there lurking).
full

And yes that's a Kent BK-12 next to a C&E best badger travel brush

Here's yesterday's score:
full

The L'Occitane Cade soap smells great.

The Laundress Fabric spray I bought on a lark; it was $5 at a local store. Smells no-kidding like the fresh laundered clothes my mom used to hang out in our back-yard to dry (Yes I'm old enough to have not been raised with a clothes dryer in the house)

The stuff is great. I've been spraying it into the closet, into my sock & underwear drawer, and even on the carpet in the Lincoln.

Awesome stuff for $5. (For the COWSBC folks, I scored this at Essentials)

full

Gold Gillette Aristocrat, Gold Merkur Slant, W&B Spike with rosewood scales, Imperial "Extra Hollow Ground" w/yellow scales. The DE's look a bit rough in the pic, but they are "fine"!

Randy

Scored a set of samples from Trumpers including the Rose, Limes, and Almond Shave Creams. Used the rose this morning (great) and will be trying the limes tomorrow.

Top Bottom