What's new

Above the Tie - Above the Crowd

Is the R2 just going to butcher my face? I used a Feather blade for the first time last night and I looked like a shrapnel victim. (The ATG pass was brutal.).

I jumped into the A.T.T Atlas set coming from a Merkur 34. I started with the R2 myself and tore my face up bad. At one point thought I might have to go to the ER, as I couldn't stop the blood flow! No more open comb razors or heads for me. Sent the R2 and unused H2 back for exchange. In the end I ended up with a M, R, and H plate.

Getting to know all the plates taught me a few things. Mainly it was that my technique really sucked! No doubt about it, the 34C allowed me to be sloppy - too fast, too much pressure, not concentrating on my angle, and the 34 let me get away with it. What did I know? It was the only DE razor I had and used, so I was thinking I was doing things mostly right, but in fact I was just ignorant. So in hindsight it's possible I discounted the open comb before I should have, however I haven't bled badly with any of the safety bar plates. If I have gotten a nick or weeper it was again, back to my poor technique.

No doubt, your face is different from the next guys, so take this for what it's worth. You might find your really like the M or the R. I discounted the M as being too mild for me from the start. Turns out it's a damn fine plate for my face and forgiving too boot. The R and especially the H demand more time, technique and concentration. If I devote the attention they deserve/demand, the results are most satisfying. I probably had one of my best shaves ever yesterday using the H paired with the Atlas handle.

I've also found that if I pair the M plate with a 150 gram MR8 Maggard handle I can achieve a shave that is nearly as good as the H. The R plate seems to work well with any handle but it usually sees a Maggard MR3.

Send back that R2 if it's not for you and take advantage of Stan's generous 30 day exchange/refund program. Try another plate and then another if that one doesn't agree with you. If you are willing to spend the postage and wait for the exchange to arrive, no doubt you will land on the plate that is right for you.

Once you find the one or the ones, give it some time and let your technique improve. When you feel your technique had improved, do yourself a favor and then try out some heavier handles paired up with what you thought was great from ATT. If you do this, I'm betting you'll find an ATT head paired up with a heavier handle that provides you with shaves you didn't realize were possible.

Indeed, for what it's worth, an open comb guard does not affect the aggressiveness of the razor. It may unconsciously influence the angle you use, especially if you're not used to open combs, I suppose, but razor aggression is a factor of blade gap and blade exposure. Some open-comb razors are aggressive, some are quite mild.

One possibility that would also be down to bad technique is using too much pressure, which with an open comb may press skin between the combs and get it too close to the blade, whereas a safety bar would let you "get away with" too much pressure. I'd expect that might happen to more inexperienced shavers trying an open comb. Just conjecturing, though.

I've been much enjoying open comb razors (like my Gillette NEWs and of course my S2). It seems to me the real advantage of the design is to leave more lather in place for the blade, making shaves that much smoother for me.

Thanks for the responses. It should be noted that the grain on my neck goes from left to right and that it's very difficult to get a good angle and pressure, especially in the hollows. I should probably save myself some bleeding and just be satisfied with a DFS on the neck.

I've been regarding slants as varsity level shaving, something I'd graduate to after growing bored. I never considered it until today. Can a rookie make the jump to slants or do they require a more refined skill set?

I've been regarding slants as varsity level shaving, something I'd graduate to after growing bored. I never considered it until today. Can a rookie make the jump to slants or do they require a more refined skill set?

I would imagine that would depend on the slant. For instance, I tried out a Merkur 37C and found it bit readily and was quick to irritate if I wasn't very careful. By contrast, the ATT S2 is a cuddly kitten of ease; very intuitive, very effective, and very unwilling to nick or cause irritation.

Nothing's a substitute for taking the time to build basic DE skills, but something like the S1/S2 would be fine for a beginner. If anything, it could reinforce bad habits that wouldn't translate to other razors because it's so forgiving!

Thanks for the responses. It should be noted that the grain on my neck goes from left to right and that it's very difficult to get a good angle and pressure, especially in the hollows. I should probably save myself some bleeding and just be satisfied with a DFS on the neck.

I don't think slants require that much expertise. As long as watch the pressure you should be OK. With that said, the neck is a tricky place to shave. It has many nooks and crannies that for some amount to quite a challenge. The grain on my neck goes in so many directions that WTG and ATG has little meaning. So, you comments about settling for a DFS on the neck is good advice to follow.

Like other razors, the degree of care you need to take varies. That said, if you have sufficient technique to get a good shave with an ATT R or H plate then you'll do just fine with a slant.

Please try different blades before judging any new razor. For me with my Merkur 34c, feather was my go to blade. But with ATT S2 the feather didn't feel good at all. Gillette 7 o'clock green and BIC chrome platinum both works great with ATT S2; for me.

Please try different blades before judging any new razor. For me with my Merkur 34c, feather was my go to blade. But with ATT S2 the feather didn't feel good at all. Gillette 7 o'clock green and BIC chrome platinum both works great with ATT S2; for me.

+1.

To my pleasant surprise the Voskhod is my favorite blade with the S2 beating out the Feather and Polsilver SI which work best for me in all of my other razors. Gotta try them all before making a decision.

I don't think slants require that much expertise. As long as watch the pressure you should be OK. With that said, the neck is a tricky place to shave. It has many nooks and crannies that for some amount to quite a challenge. The grain on my neck goes in so many directions that WTG and ATG has little meaning. So, you comments about settling for a DFS on the neck is good advice to follow.

I have your neck. Kept trying for BBS everywhere, DFS it is from now on.

Dan

Just had my second shave with the S2 on the Kronos handle. I am truly blown away by this razor! I've never had a more comfortable shave. It feels like I forgot to load the blade. It's so smooth and gentle. And the results...TRUE BBS, even my trouble spots are totally clean and I have zero irritation. Many times I'll have a little redness on a small area of my neck, but not with the S2. I don't see how it could get any better. I'm sold on ATT, and I have the inkwell stand and travel case to show for it. :thumbup:

I use a ATT R-1 I use only Wilkinson Sword Blades.When I run out of Wilkinson Sword I use Astra SP blades.
I have a Weber 3pc W/Classic Handle I prefer this razor. But it might be that I have had this razor longer than I have had my ATT 7pc. Set. I wish I would have gotten the ATT Colossus Handle instead of the Atlas and Krono's.

Looking forward to getting my open comb base plates to add to my 7 piece regular set. I think that Stan has created the ultimate DE razor system, and eventually I will have each razor he makes with various handles. I can't enough express the quality of the products and shaves from them. I also believe they will appreciate in value.

It seems very odd to me that half of the specialty razor & handle manufacturers are so unstable as to just quit making something unexpectedly, without any real effort (at least publicly) to answer questions, or get products made again. Above the Tie is the best you can get, and I don't think that Stan would ever stop talking to anyone about the products he makes if there was a halt in production.

In the 3 years I have been into DE, and acquiring these razors/handles, there have been 3 or 4 products that I have JUST MISSED OUT ON, with NO emails answered, and these folks not even entertaining us as to when they would be available again. It's very flaky to me. Weird thing is that people LOVE the cancelled products, and want them, but you can't even get a straight, honest answer about them.

Stan's obvious commitment to actually manufacturing, expanding product line, high quality, AND correspondence with people that love his product is unprecedented in the razor industry. He makes an arsenal of amazing razors and accessories, and others have difficulties getting a desired razor handle lathed out, and answering an email. I will continue to support his company and enjoy his superior craftsmanship.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice SOTD. However, you list your razor as the "Atlas R1 Kronos handle". Atlas & Kronos are both handles., so you can only use one of the other. Based on the picture it appears you're using the Atlas.

Last edited:
Looks like a nice SOTD. However, you lost your razor as the "Atlas R1 Kronos handle". Atlas & Kronos are both handles., so you can only use one of the other. Based on the picture it appears you're using the Atlas.

I think you might be right, Also it's the M-1 head. I think I need "Coke Bottle Glasses" :eek2:!

Top Bottom