What's new

About to buy a shavemaster, any warnings?

Thanks, Mark - great description...very helpful. If I was ever going to purchase a SM I planned on it being the 100 anyway (primarily due to price), but as I fall in the category of traditional wetshaver venturing into the Method every once in a while, it seems like the 100 might be the right choice.

I don't think $145 is so much to spend on a brush - it is only $10 more than my most expensive brush. When I was buying it, I was looking at brushes that were as much as $350, or maybe more.

Tim

I don't think $145 is so much to spend on a brush - it is only $10 more than my most expensive brush. When I was buying it, I was looking at brushes that were as much as $350, or maybe more.

Tim

Price is all relative - for me - a recent graduate school graduate who just got married and has bills to pay....$145, while I feel it would be money well spent, just isn't in the cards at the moment, and for me, is "expensive".

However, I agree that brushes can be significantly higher in price...no doubt.

Price is all relative - for me - a recent graduate school graduate who just got married and has bills to pay....$145, while I feel it would be money well spent, just isn't in the cards at the moment, and for me, is "expensive".

Point taken. :redface: It is hard to know everyone's life situation. I am by no means wealthy and I am price conscious when making almost any purchase, but it is easy to remember back 32 years when I was just starting to establish myself.

I was going to hold these back for a review but I'll post them here so you guys can see what the S100 looks like. The brush with the cream colored handle is the famous C&E Best Badger brush for reference. Yeah, I know, if you're gonna Method Shave you gotta use Feather's. The Derby pack was more handy when I took the photos.

thanks for the pics, Gafer....where's that review?:rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to it....I am debating getting the s100 myself....what's your initial impression? have you tried it with traditional creams also - does it work well with them? very interested in what you have to say.

My understanding is that the supplier he is using for the bristles is different and he puts them together himself. My S100 is over a year old and no issues at all. I alternate between that and a B&B Finest and enjoy them both. Sorry you had a bad experience Joel. I have found Charles a joy to deal with and hi swife is great too.

Cross your fingers and hope you're brush isn't as bad as mine.... Charles is nice as can be when you're buying stuff from him, but if you've got an issue, isn't so nice :wink:

Best of luck.

Brad,

Have you used your shavemaster with both hydrolast and traditional products? How well does it work with the traditional stuff?

I was going to hold these back for a review but I'll post them here so you guys can see what the S100 looks like. The brush with the cream colored handle is the famous C&E Best Badger brush for reference. Yeah, I know, if you're gonna Method Shave you gotta use Feather's. The Derby pack was more handy when I took the photos.

You're supposed to use feathers with method shaving? That's news to me:confused:

You're supposed to use feathers with method shaving? That's news to me:confused:

Charles insists the system has been built around a fresh Feather for each shave. :eek: Can't afford that! I do know that he at least use to start Method shavers on Derby's but as I was leaving his store the last time he dropped a couple Feather's in my bag and said they were a must try with Method shaving.

thanks for the pics, Gafer....where's that review?:rolleyes:

I'm looking forward to it....I am debating getting the s100 myself....what's your initial impression? have you tried it with traditional creams also - does it work well with them? very interested in what you have to say.

I'll see if I can work up the review. I'm afraid my qualifications as a reviewer are kind of weak given that I've only been using it for a little over a week now and the only brush I have to compare it with is the C&E Best badger.

That said, I love the S100! I've used it with Palmolive (old stock I'm hoarding) Truefitt & Hill Lavendar, Kiss My Face Unscented, C&E Sandalwood soap, Williams Mug Soap and got outstanding lather from all of them. I was pleasantly surprised at the lather I got from the soaps given the common wisdom that you need a stiffer brush when using soaps. Tell that to the S100!:thumbup: I've also enjoyed how much lather the brush holds. Plenty for four passes. Again, I should think this brush is a good value. It's comparable in price to similar Rooney brushes.

Brad,

Have you used your shavemaster with both hydrolast and traditional products? How well does it work with the traditional stuff?

I use it for both. I have recently started to try to venture into a str8, and haven't been brave enough to try it with Hydrolast yet. I know it works for Mike, but until I master traditional creams with it, I'm steering clear of using Hydrolast with a str8 shave.

I whipped up some T&H Lime cream this morning and had some HUGE lather in my bowl really quick. I have also used some classicshaving.com soaps and have done several superlathers with Taylors avocado and shea butter soap. It works great with everything I tried, you just need to either shake it out a little more or add less water than usual.

Brad

Top Bottom