What's new

A Wordy Review of Three Popular Scuttles

Looks like GeorgeTown is listening, now they are making a G5
"Increased the water reservoir by doubling the previous G4 water capacity, keeping your new G5 scuttle at the perfect temperature for extended periods of shaving."
http://www.georgetownpottery.com/georgetown-pottery-news-events/3-news-and-events/129-g5-shaving-scuttle-
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I prefer the DB 1.5x. I'm about to put my G5 and large Moss on the BST in the next couple of days. To me, the DB is the best followed closely by the Moss. The G5, while the most striking looking, was the weakest performer.

I prefer the DB 1.5x. I'm about to put my G5 and large Moss on the BST in the next couple of days. To me, the DB is the best followed closely by the Moss. The G5, while the most striking looking, was the weakest performer.

I have a DB 1.5 also and once I learned how to use it correctly, it has been great. Used it yesterday to shave and that lather was so warm. :thumbup1:

and would appear to be very functional. Has anybody picked up one of these yet? I would be curious to see a review.

There have been a few reviews of the G5, including a comprehensive review with temperature measurements. The G5 was a distant third of three, most likely due to the material they use for the scuttle. The DB and the Moss were pretty close, if I recall correctly. The DB and the Moss are hand thrown, while the G5 is molded, again if I recall correctly

Putting more hot water into the G5 reservoir won't fix a materials issue; my understanding is that it's not construction or engineering, but materials that are making the difference here. The DB and the Moss hold heat longer than the G5 even after you empty them because the clay holds heat better.

In my opinion. And other, smarter people's as well.

I have a new question: Is there any reason you wouldn't want the DB to be two pieces? It just seems logical to me, I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything before I plunge.

Secondly, is the DB 1.5 big enough to hold and lather some of the bigger soaps like Tabac? Thanks

This thread was GREAT when I actually learned what a scuttle did! Based on the reviews and everyone here, I'll be getting a DB 1.5 soon!

Just want to thank everyone involved. This thread should really have a sticky or be included in a "Must Read" post that lists similar threads.

There have been a few reviews of the G5, including a comprehensive review with temperature measurements. The G5 was a distant third of three, most likely due to the material they use for the scuttle. The DB and the Moss were pretty close, if I recall correctly. The DB and the Moss are hand thrown, while the G5 is molded, again if I recall correctly

Where can I find this thread? :)

I was wondering how to keep my lather warm. By my third pass, my lather is stone cold. Looks like I'll be adding a DB to my shopping list!

Thanks for the great review!

Interesting idea. So instead of ice in the base , substitute hot water I suppose? I'm a head shaver as well and love the feeling of warm lather. Do you just store the brush in here or is it big enough to build in too?

I fill the bottom and top with hot tap water, then replace with a second batch of hot tap water.
Let the brush soak in the top, dump the water in the top part and then load my lather.

The top is big enough to build up lather.

Great review! I started my scuttle journey with a G2 as well, and had the same findings as you. I went with a custom colour DB 1.5 and have never looked back. Julie was awesome to deal with and many gents here echo those sentiments.

My Georgetown Pottery scuttle--factory 2nd--gives me great service during each morning's shave. I nuke 1.5 cups of water in the microwave, then pour some into a container to moisten my 'brush of the day's' tips, then fill the scuttle's tank.

Top Bottom