What's new

A proper desk to go with my FP's

strop

Now half as wise
Sailboats can be a woodworker's dream, or thier nightmare. Nothing is square or flat. Usually curved and sometimes in two directions at once. A lot of hand tool work and careful fitting involved. Rewarding but not for the faint of heart.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Sailboats can be a woodworker's dream, or thier nightmare. Nothing is square or flat. Usually curved and sometimes in two directions at once. A lot of hand tool work and careful fitting involved. Rewarding but not for the faint of heart.

The two happiest days in a boat owner's life- the day he buys the boat, and the day he sells it :biggrin:

$IMG_0648.jpgI've done three sessions over the last week, shoring up the bottom of the desk.

The first session, I sanded it with the belt sander and did the first epoxy coat over the checks and knots. I put over a cup of epoxy and had nothing to show or it, as the wood sucked it up. There was almost no buildup.

I came back a couple of days later and had to sand off the excess epoxy coating. This time the epoxy had a orating, so it didn't soak into the wood. Come back the next day and do it all over again. Belt sand and put another level of epoxy. After three sessions it looks like I got all of the bottom except the knot on the end. I used the orbital sander, with a finer grit, and the surface is starting to feel smooth like furniture is supposed to.

Here's a picture, which is not the most current, but shows some progress:

Last edited:

strop

Now half as wise
That's going to look spectacular. Not sure how may coats you are planning, but for an air dried slab like that, I would make sure that the top and bottom have an equal number of coats. Otherwise, differential water vapor movement in/out could cause some cupping of the finished piece over time. Even tough you're using epoxy, no finish completely stops wood from breathing.

I will definitely do multiple oil coats on both sides.

I still don't know what I'm going to do for legs.

$photo.jpg

I filled up all knots/cracks on the bottom side, except the pesky one on the end. I also went from the 60 grit sand paper to 220 grit. Now it really is smooth like glass.

I flipped the desk, to the top side, and did my first epoxy attempt. Now I have to wait a week, until I can get to my father's again. I would love to finish this quicker, but all I can do in this stage is sand down the last epoxy coating and apply a new coat (and hope that it doesn't evaporate into the wood, which would take another trip). Stay tuned, progress is being made.

Very nice looking piece of wood. After you finish the desk you will need to get a very nice brass inkwell and roller blotter to go with your FP's. If you have any wood left over you might be able to make a nice coordinating roller blotter.

That was my number one choice, Jason. I'm still considering that company and have one other top choice. I will post that web site as well.

I've finished eypoxying the top side and sanding it to a furniture quality finish. I have to reshape the pesky end knot and it's ready for the tung oil finish.

Now there's a new sinkhole of spending coming up. I'm going to need a comparable desk chair to go with the desk. I like The Eames aluminum management chair. I will post that as well.

Top Bottom