What's new

A necessary RELAPSE today. Am I going back to CARTS!

Yeah I did jump directly to straights. Now I just have to resist buying one of those perty DEs I keep seeing on the B/S/T!

nrv216

Hey all,

I am not demonizing carts (sorry if it sounded like that but I am just a dramatic and sarcastic writer), I just don't like them. But as the great rule of YMMV states, they may be just fine for someone else. Also, I am a Straight Razor user. No DEs for me. So as much as I am indifferent about gilette and their products ( I am actually very pro big business) I know none of my razors are made by them.

The real learning experience here was that I can get about six months of shaves (and still going strong) with my SR setup and apparently the cart that I used which had only been used a few times yielded a much worse shave. I used the same principles and technique and only changed one thing: the tool. That comes about as close to a scientific experiment as I am going to get when it comes to shaving.

I felt that this thread was more celebratory in nature because I now know that I am getting better shaves with my straights and the steep learning curve is starting to pay off.

nrv216

I can get a GREAT shave with my Shick vibratey plastic thingy when I travel; prep, lather etc doesn't change at the risk of a bump or two.

The lessons learned with a DE help.

Please stop by the B&B courtesy desk and return you DE card.:w00t:

It sounds like he went directly from carts to straights so he may not have a DE card to return. Anyone with the dexterity and family jewels to use a straight razor is a better shaver than I with my DE or cheap disposable (can't take DE blades on an airplane). As for three-bladed monstrosities, I tried a Bic three-blade disposable once with puck and brush -- found it very irritating to say the least. I will take a DE any day over three or five-blade monstrosities!

Yeah I did jump directly to straights. Now I just have to avoid the temptation of buying one of those purty DEs I keep seeing on the B/S/T!

nrv216

Meh, I use el cheapo carts when I have to fly. Not great, but better than not shaving. Technique goes a long way, even with the hotel issue single blades.

I'd think a $8 tech would probably have done the job. WTG pass shouldn't take any longer than a fusion, and I can't imagine it wouldn't give less irritation.

The Bump Fighter/Trac II works well for me when I travel and can't use a de.
I don't get any irritation but will get a red bump or two now and again. It's an otherwise great shave using normal prep.

Top Bottom