May 2024 GRUME 3/31
Shave Date 5/2/2024
Razor:
1967 Slim Adjustable TTO.
Blade: Wilkinson Sword (5)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (4)
Brush: PAA Atomic Rocket 26mm Synthetic
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Sterling Executive Man A/S
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Choooooooooooooo, what a shave. The 5th shave on the blade and the Wilkinson delivered the best yet, smooth and close, with nary a drop of blood in sight, and, no irritation. Three passes at levels 9,7 and 5, for the WTG, XTG, and ATG/clean-up passes respectively. I was experimenting with angles and directions of the pass for the XTG and ATG passes, figuring out the best way to attack the whisker and whack them down. I am discovering different growth patterns within my beard where I thought the cheeks and neck all grew in one direction, I am finding some areas grow at a slightly different angle than the surrounding area. The stubborn fur patch on the right jawline is an example. Today I mowed down the right neck area and jawline to just about BBS, I think this is the best it has ever been, not quite BBS as some errant whiskers defied the attack and are standing still, although shorter than usual. I did have more feedback from the alum block and the aftershave today, which is to be expected with the ultra-close shave I achieved. This is one of those shaves where you find yourself rubbing your face throughout the day, and if you're Cajun, you'll say to yourself Chooooooooooo.

The Atomic Rocket today, as did the WCS Smoked Burlwood of previous days, did a fine job of face lathering from the puck, with none of the splashing of the soap around like I remember with my synthetics before I parked them in lieu of using Boars and Badgers. They will have their spot in the rotation with the Boars and the Badgers going forward. I have yet to use the diminutive Simpson T2 synthetic to see if it will behave this second go-round, but it will be thrown into the mix at some point. Brushes, I'm set.

I'm headed to Louisiana after work to pick up my Lovely Bride, who has been visiting with her daughters and grandchildren for 3 weeks. She's ready to come home and we are ready for her to return home as well. We being me and all the fur babies, who miss her being home and having someone to sleep up against.

That's all for today, I wish all a blessed Friday and weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3069.jpeg

Just needs a little bit of focused practice, I would recommend a cursive writing practice book. There are some very specific nitpicks that I could make that would aid reading, but using the practice book makes them readily apparent. The one thing I will say is that you may find that you need to fine tune your muscle movements so the letters separate better, but this will slow you down initially. Oh and correction tape thrown in with an order might be handy to keep the journal neat. I hope this is taken as constructive criticism as my writing isn't where I would like it and I can't even print.

Just needs a little bit of focused practice, I would recommend a cursive writing practice book. There are some very specific nitpicks that I could make that would aid reading, but using the practice book makes them readily apparent. The one thing I will say is that you may find that you need to fine tune your muscle movements so the letters separate better, but this will slow you down initially. Oh and correction tape thrown in with an order might be handy to keep the journal neat. I hope this is taken as constructive criticism as my writing isn't where I would like it and I can't even print.
Thanks for the tips. No offense taken. That was the third take as I failed to add all the details I wanted to in previous attempts. And I was trying to keep it all on two pages. I’m a cheapskate at heart and have been looking up online tutorials for my practice. But I may break down and get one of the books. I haven’t practiced much yet, I mostly journal and call that practice. But when I find a problem I go and practice the letters. Thanks again and no offense taken.

300+ Shaves in 2024 117 of 300+
May 2024 GRUME 5/31
Shave Date 5/6/2024
Razor:
1957 Ball End Tech US Made.
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (5)
Brush: Zenith 502 Blue Wave Boar
Post-shave: Alum Bock, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Mother Bear Winter Balm, Nivea Post Shave Balm, Sterling Executive Man A/S
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Shave number two on the Personna Blues and one couldn't ask for more. A very comfortable shave with zero irritation or nicks was obtained. Along with the Lords and Sharks, the Personna Blues are a viable replacement for the PPI blades that will be unobtanium at some point. 30 swirls on the A&E soap with the Zenith 502 oinker and I had plenty of lather for all my passes today and then some. Speaking of passes, just 3 today and no touch-ups, which left a bit more sea lion fur on the neck than yesterday, but just a hair more, pun intended. Maybe it is hopeful thinking, but I think I put a tiny dent in the soap thus far. I am going to continue with the 30 swirls, with boars mostly, till I 3017 the soap. I figure the boars will speed up the process of kilting off the soap. I did receive the drowsy spousal approval this morning before heading out to work.

The USPS came through for me, before I filed the claim, I went back to the box to make sure the key wasn't in the box yesterday evening, and lo and behold there was the key. Maybe I missed it in the dark Saturday night when I checked the box, but I felt all around the box. Another twist, is the locker wasn't securely closed, anyone could have opened the locker. Anywho, I have my pens and paper. The Platinum Preppy blue-black ink works fine on the multi-purpose paper I primarily use at work and those will be the pens for work. My other pens will go back home. I did barrel fill two Preppys, one pen with Noodlers 54th Massachusetts Regiment, an 02 EF pen, and even with the EF nib, the 54th Massachusetts bleeds through some on the multi-purpose paper. Since the Platinum Blue Black works fine at work, the barrel filled one will go home. The second one I barrel filled with Pure Pens King Charles Corrination Blue, which was a disappointment. It was supposed to have a reddish sheen to it, but all I saw was a Royal Blue color. I bought a barrel filling kit from JetPens, which consisted of a few plastic droppers, 9mm OD O rings, and some silicon grease, which did the trick barrel filling the two Preppies. So far so good, no leaks, but I'm not going to leave them at work in my white lab coat pockets until I see how well the seal will hold. As of now, the seal is holding fine.

'Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Monday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_3083.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 117 of 300+
May 2024 GRUME 5/31
Shave Date 5/6/2024
Razor:
1957 Ball End Tech US Made.
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (2)
Soap: Ariana & Evans Spartacus (5)
Brush: Zenith 502 Blue Wave Boar
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++ neck.

Notes:

Shave number two on the Personna Blues and one couldn't ask for more. A very comfortable shave with zero irritation or nicks was obtained. Along with the Lords and Sharks, the Personna Blues are a viable replacement for the PPI blades that will be unobtanium at some point. 30 swirls on the A&E soap with the Zenith 502 oinker and I had plenty of lather for all my passes today and then some. Speaking of passes, just 3 today and no touch-ups, which left a bit more sea lion fur on the neck than yesterday, but just a hair more, pun intended. Maybe it is hopeful thinking, but I think I put a tiny dent in the soap thus far. I am going to continue with the 30 swirls, with boars mostly, till I 3017 the soap. I figure the boars will speed up the process of kilting off the soap. I did receive the drowsy spousal approval this morning before heading out to work.

The USPS came through for me, before I filed the claim, I went back to the box to make sure the key wasn't in the box yesterday evening, and lo and behold there was the key. Maybe I missed it in the dark Saturday night when I checked the box, but I felt all around the box. Another twist, is the locker wasn't securely closed, anyone could have opened the locker. Anywho, I have my pens and paper. The Platinum Preppy blue-black ink works fine on the multi-purpose paper I primarily use at work and those will be the pens for work. My other pens will go back home. I did barrel fill two Preppys, one pen with Noodlers 54th Massachusetts Regiment, an 02 EF pen, and even with the EF nib, the 54th Massachusetts bleeds through some on the multi-purpose paper. Since the Platinum Blue Black works fine at work, the barrel filled one will go home. The second one I barrel filled with Pure Pens King Charles Corrination Blue, which was a disappointment. It was supposed to have a reddish sheen to it, but all I saw was a Royal Blue color. I bought a barrel filling kit from JetPens, which consisted of a few plastic droppers, 9mm OD O rings, and some silicon grease, which did the trick barrel filling the two Preppies. So far so good, no leaks, but I'm not going to leave them at work in my white lab coat pockets until I see how well the seal will hold. As of now, the seal is holding fine.

'Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Monday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1841772
A lot of times the sheen and shading of an ink only comes through on good fountain pen paper i.e Rhodia etc and also in wider nibs. More absorbent paper prevents the sheen and shade to show up. I know it is a bummer.

Top Bottom