What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I worked in a pork processing plant when I was waiting for a carpentry job to open up. I learned how to sharpen a knife on a couple different grit stones..The old guys there would softly stroke the knife across their finger nails after they had completed the task. If the blade was sharp, it would grab the nail immediately. A dull knife will glide over it.

It is a useful skill to have.Years ago now, when we were visiting my parents in Pendleton, Oregon, I saw this little steel handle with a piece of hollow ground carbide welded into one end at a lumber yard. I immediately bought one. It won’t take out a nick, but it can put an amazing edge on a knife. I can lightly run it over a blade edge at a compound angle and end up with what I used to think was a razor sharp edge. <eg>

I had a few thousand of them made up by one of the companies I represented who used hollow ground carbide blades in one of their products. I sold them in independent hardware stores and lumber yards. It was a fun side business. I also found out, they are great for sharpening large fish hooks. Bait & Tackle shops sold quite a few.

.The old guys there would softly stroke the knife across their finger nails after they had completed the task. If the blade was sharp, it would grab the nail immediately. A dull knife will glide over it.
One of the techniques of knowing if the straight is shave-ready is called a thumbpad test or a nail test. The thumbpad test is gently touching the blade and with a very light touch moves the thumpad forward on the blade. Yeah, that's what I thought, the fingernail test is similar to what you described, the video I saw said the thumbpad test was better. I know with experience it will become second nature, but I wasn't able to duplicate an acceptable Thumbad test or fingernail test. Admittedly I did not try too hard for too long and lack of success is squarely on my shoulders. And I am good with that.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
One of the techniques of knowing if the straight is shave-ready is called a thumbpad test or a nail test. The thumbpad test is gently touching the blade and with a very light touch moves the thumpad forward on the blade. Yeah, that's what I thought, the fingernail test is similar to what you described, the video I saw said the thumbpad test was better. I know with experience it will become second nature, but I wasn't able to duplicate an acceptable Thumbad test or fingernail test. Admittedly I did not try too hard for too long and lack of success is squarely on my shoulders. And I am good with that.
I was thinking of how I actually do it after your post... Yeah, I use my left thumb nail because it's easier to reach and the biggest nail to boot. I don't have the guts to try it on the thumb pad.... Ouch. Yeah.. that is sharp.. <eg>

I was thinking of how I actually do it after your post... Yeah, I use my left thumb nail because it's easier to reach and the biggest nail to boot. I don't have the guts to try it on the thumb pad.... Ouch. Yeah.. that is sharp.. <eg>
The way I understand the technique is to feel for a tacky feeling. Which is the blade making micro-cuts in your thumb pad and catching very lightly. I'm thinking "Isn't there a better way to do this??" Other methods to check for sharpness are around. One is to just shave with the edge and see what you get. Some will say this is the only way to tell for sure if the edge is shave-ready. I never got the hang of the thumbpad test. But I never tried to shave with the edge either. It did not knock down hairs on my arm at all.

My understanding of the two thumb tests, specifically to razors, is that you're probing the condition of the apex. Any wide spots or burrs will be readily apparent. I think the thumb nail test is probably more sensitive because you can really feel the edge as it drags through. The thumb pad is quite sensitive of course but you need some experience to interpret what you're feeling.

I think that both of these tests are most useful at the bevel set stage. Past that point the kind of refinement you're doing won't be very obvious when tested this way.

I think that both of these tests are most useful at the bevel set stage. Past that point the kind of refinement you're doing won't be very obvious when tested this way.
Maybe that was my problem. I got to the point I could feel the thumb pad sticking somewhat, but the edge was not able to cut. The bevel appeared to be set with the loop. Then other things got in the way of my evening honing and I set the stones aside. I was able to keep the edges keen enough with the Chrom Oxide strops for a while. I may be able to get an acceptable shave with the straights now, I am sorta spoiled by the BBS I am getting with the DEs now. Thanks for the input.

300+ Shaves in 2024 83 of 300+
March GRUME 27/31
Shave Date 3/29/2024
DE:
1948 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (2)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Razor Emporium Heritage
Brush: Semogue 2000 Boar
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Razor Emporium Heritage Lotion Brut EDT.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+ neck.

Notes:

What a difference a day makes, and properly closing the doors on the razor. Smooth as silk today off the bat and for the whole shave. My neck was irritated from the hammer-headed mistake I made yesterday by not closing the doors fully, so I did not chase BBS today as I'd usually do. Regardless, I achieved a very very good shave, above average for most shaves but off my best shaves. The scent of Razor Emporium Heritage is a barbershop-type scent and pairs quite nicely with Brut EDT. The Brut EDT is not as strong as other EDTs, but a great one in the end. I used the Heritage lotion and Momma Bear's Post-Shave Balm to soothe the irritated neck from yesterday's hack job. The scents do work great together.

Katz Domineaux is very popular with all the humans in the house, my son and daughter have taken to him very quickly. As to the other fur babies, he's not so well-liked. He is a loving cat and wants in everyone's lap, which all other fur babies want as well. Therein lies the problem. The previous owner declawed him which puts him at a disadvantage to the other cats in any conflict. He seems to be some Maine coon mix, those other cats better watch out in a year or so, he'll have a distinct advantage on them in 6 months to a year.

Holy Thursday services were great yesterday, I was the keeper of the coals last night, making sure the Thurible, the censer used at mass, had hot coals waiting for Father to dump some more incense on them. I was told to keep them hot, well I did, so much so I burnt my fingers a few times and the altar boy said it was hot when he had to use it. All things in moderation, even coals for the Thruible at Holy Thursday service. Haha. It was a late night but it was worth it. Although many shy away from the responsibilities of being an Acolyte in the Catholic church, I was once again reminded how fortunate I am to have been given the opportunity to serve alongside Father, the Deacons, and other Acolytes and altar servers. Yes, it is more work than just showing up for mass, but I am blessed.

I pray for all of my brothers on the forum to have a truly blessed Good Friday and Easter Weekend, and may all of your shaves be utterly satisfying.

IMG_2814.jpeg

Last edited:
A three'fer today.

300+ Shaves in 2024 84 of 300+
March GRUME 28/31
Shave Date 3/30/2024
DE:
Military issued Tech made in England
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (3)
Soap: Martin De Candre Rose
Brush: Zenith 507 Blue Cobalt
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+ neck.

Notes:

A shave before Easter Vigil mass, this one had about 36 hours of growth as it was done at around 6:30 on Saturday evening. Just three passes with no touch-ups to avoid any possibility of irritations or cuts. The results were a fantastic shave, no issues whatsoever, smooth and irritation-free. No aftershave or scent as is par for the course before services at mass.

IMG_2823.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 85 of 300+
March GRUME 29/31
Shave Date 3/31/2024
DE:
1967 Gillette TTO Slim Adjustable
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (4)
Soap: Palmolive Mens Shave Cream
Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake 24mm Two-Band Badger
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm.

Notes:

Easter Sunday Palmolive Sunday shave was a one-pass ATG shave 12-hour growth shave. It was a great shave with no issue whatsoever, sounds like yesterday, doesn't it? Like yesterday, no irritation, discomfort, or nicks. A great shave for an Easter Sunday service at mass. All is grand in the land, no scent today again because of the mass services.

IMG_2824.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 86 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 1/30
Shave Date 4/1/2024
DE:
1948 Super Speed
Blade: Shark Super Stainless (5)
Soap: RazoRock Mudder Focker
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, RR Mudder Focker.

Notes:

It's Monday, it's April Fool's Day, therefore it's a Mudder Focker Monday. And it is proving to hold up to its name quite nicely thus far. We are busy at work and dealing with BS that should not be happening, but it is what it is and I am blessed. Shave #5 on the Shark was just as good as the rest, it is a blade to stock up on. The shave was smooth, comfortable, and close. I did one touch-up pass and although I did get a closer shave, not a level 9 on the smoothness, still some Sea Lion fur on the neck, but the cheeks are dolphinic smooth. All is good in the land. Mudder Focker was once again living up to its name and not incorporating into the brush as well as others. I scooped some with a pic and plopped it into the shaving bowl filled with warm water to soften while I prepped my face. Despite the extra time to soften up, it was still a mudder focker to incorporate all into the brush from the bowl, I just about bowl lathered today. No matter, loads of slick lather were produced and a fine shave was achieved. Smooth, nick, and irritation-free were the results of the shave today. It was a great shave and no April Fool's jokes played on me by my shave gear today.

The busyness of Holy Week is behind me, I sorta miss the flurry of activity we had for the last three days of the week. We were quite busy from Thursday evening through Sunday Morning, but it was all worth it and did not feel like work at all. I sorta feel like I came off a vacation, you know the feeling? Vacations are usually a flurry of activities, first-time adventures, and things to do. That is how my first Holy Week behind the scenes was for me, as it was all new to me and I was going with the flow. Looking back it was filled with adventures and blessings. We even had a proposal at the end of Easter Vigil on Saturday evening, after a two-hour mass, and during the time we cleaned up and setting things in order for the Easter Sunday masses, a young lady who just joined the church that evening, was proposed to in front of the altar. I noticed them hanging around and kneeling in the pews close to the altar and didn't think anything of it. As I walked back to the back of the church I saw the rock she had in her hand, I thought that was a big ring. When I got to the back Father Dwight was smiling, and told me there was a proposal. It was the cherry on top of a successful Easter Vigil mass. I am blessed.

That is all for today, gotta go put out fires and deal with challenges. I wish all a blessed Monday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2838.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 87 of 300+
Vintage April 2024 2/30
Shave Date 4/2/2024
DE:
1967 Slim Adjustable TTO
Blade: King C Gillette (1)
Soap: PAA The Watcher
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm two band badger
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, PAA The Watcher A/S.
Rating: 29.5/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS on the face, and DFS+++++++++++ neck.

Notes:

As the Cajuns say down da bayou, coooooooooooo. What a blade the KCG is, easily in the top tier of blades I have used. It and the GSB are neck and neck for the best blade I have ever used. The sea lions are plumb off the dock in the water, blubbering and crying, to add salt(water) to their wounds, the dolphins are nearby splashing water in their faces, chattering with glee this morning. This was one of my all-time best shaves. Too bad Gillette decided to price them above the GSB. Figures, DC the GSB production at the PPI plant, move to a less expensive(presumable, maybe not with the growth of the Chinese middle class) manufacturing site and charge more money. Although $6.99 vs $5.40 isn't that much money-wise, percentage wise it is a 30% increase. Ehh, I'm not too keen on P&G anyway, so this won't be a stock-up kind of blade, despite the great performance. I did three passes with one touch-up pass and no additional chasing. I didn't need to chase BBS, it was already there. I could have gone for perfect 30 but held back. That was a good thing because I did have more feedback from the Alum block than yesterday, but his shave is leaps and bounds above yesterday's shave in the smoothness department. I understand @Guido75 admiration for this blade. It is a fantastic blade, although pricey, and I'd prefer not to support P&G if possible. I do have two tucks for some reason, I think one was free with some purchase. The Black Lable inspired scent is a great one, sorta like the Woodhue-inspired Black Shroud, but less powdery. I did receive the drowsy spousal approval this morning for the scent.

'Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Tuesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2841.jpeg

You gents are so artistic with your photo staging and editing. I need to take a class....
iPhone gets all the credit, they do some magic in the processing to make the close-up pics look great. The backdrop is my towel for the day. Although I'd love to fancy myself as artistic, 'tis not the case, it is all my phone. I gained inspiration for my setup from the fine pics of the true artist on the forum. Thanks for the compliment though, you could easily achieve the same results. Have a blessed day.

Top Bottom