What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

Think Oh Yeah GIF by Paramount+
Ya didn't ignore that part like the next sentence said. Sigh, what can I say??

300+ Shaves in 2024 76 of 300+
March GRUME 20/31
Shave Date 3/22/2024
DE:
1948 Gillette Super Speed
Blade: Tiger Platinum
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: PAA Black Shroud
Brush: Semogue 2000 Boar
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, PAA Black Shroud A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, just shy of BBS face, and DFS++ neck.

Notes:

Tiger day, as I loaded up the Tiger Platinum this morning, I could hear @Balin say, Noooooooooooooo!!!!, and @lasta calling them Tuggy Tigers. I told El Tigre to behave, not to cause any issues, closed the doors to the razor, and it down while I applied the preshave and lathered up my face. Blade to face and go. The first thing I noticed is that I did feel the blade to be harsher than the GSB like it has been used longer. Not overly harsh, but you could notice it. The blade did cut the whiskers down well enough and the shave is just a smidgen off of yesterday's shave. I have no irritation to speak of but I also did not push for BBS past my normal 3 passes and one clean-up. Without any experience with Tiger and its less-than-stellar reputation, the prudent course of action was to let the sea lions be and go with what the three passes and one clean-up gave me. Which wasn't that far off from yesterday, with just a bit more sea lion hair left on the neck and the jawline. All in all an acceptable first shave with the Tiger. No nicks or irritation and BBS on the face, DFS++ on the neck. Shave one is done without any major drama. The plan is to go 5 shaves with this blade, as I do with all my other blades. In the end, the Tiger is a blade, not to be feared. I wasn't fearful of the straights when I was learning them, the Tiger will be no different. I will see what El Tigre can do and only do that. As always the Woodhue inspired scent of the day received the drowsy spousal approval this morning.

I brought another fountain pen to work today, one of the cheap-o disposable ones a Zebra Zensation Black 0.6mm. It is ok, very scratchy nib, and black ink, which is boring now that I have been introduced to all the other colors, thanks Boris!! I doubt I will use this one much, it may go back and be replaced with another one. It could go in the motorcycle jacket for use on the road. Although I am unsure how well this pen is made, I certainly don't want an ink stain on my motorcycle jacket. On second thought it will just go back home sometime in the future. I did write on a check today with both fountain pens, both bled through a small amount. It is odd that the check paper is of such poor quality that you can't use a fountain pen.

Going to cut it off for today, I wish all a blessed Friday and weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2778.jpeg

Twinzies! Let’s discuss Tigers! I think your experience is similar to mine. It smoother after the initial shave. Almost as if some coating has to wear off.

View attachment 1816481
Good evening twin, time will tell on the Tiger. The first shave was a success in my view. But we had such a low bar that anything shy of a bloodbath was a success. I felt some harshness, but if I wasn't primed with thoughts of Tuggy Tigers and how horrible this blade is, I wouldn't have noticed it. I did not get as close a shave because of those same lingering thoughts in the back of my mind, I have a small amount more stubble/sea lion fur on my jawline today because I did not chase BBS. If tomorrow is better, 5 shaves with this blade should not be an issue. I will keep them in the Super Speed or the Slim for the duration of the shaves.

Good evening twin, time will tell on the Tiger. The first shave was a success in my view. But we had such a low bar that anything shy of a bloodbath was a success. I felt some harshness, but if I wasn't primed with thoughts of Tuggy Tigers and how horrible this blade is, I wouldn't have noticed it. I did not get as close a shave because of those same lingering thoughts in the back of my mind, I have a small amount more stubble/sea lion fur on my jawline today because I did not chase BBS. If tomorrow is better, 5 shaves with this blade should not be an issue. I will keep them in the Super Speed or the Slim for the duration of the shaves.
I am very encouraged by your shaves. No need to fear the Tiger it seems. I am looking forward to test them out.

300+ Shaves in 2024 77 of 300+
March GRUME 21/31
Shave Date 3/23/2024
DE:
1967 Gillette Slim TTO Adjustable
Blade: Tiger Platinum(2)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Nordost
Brush: Zenith 5-7 Blue Cobalt Boar
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Nordost A/S.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, just shy of BBS face, and DFS++ neck.

Notes:

Shave number 2 on the Tigers came and went without much of a problem. Just about a duplicate of yesterday's shave, with the same number of passes. Once again, I did not chase BBS other than the left jaw joint area, one of my most resistant Sea Lion fur patches. The B&M Nordost required extra attention this morning to achieve the desired consistency, I had to go to the mug for more water and scrub the face more so than usual this morning. The sea lions are in the same spot as yesterday, but El Tigre behaved for the most part this morning. DFS++ on the neck and BBS on the face. My face feels a tad tight this morning, as though I chase BBS many passes. Is this due to a tugging Tiger? Or due to the extra face scrubbing that the B&M soap required today. I had no noticeable feedback from the Alum block today, which leads me to think the tightness is due to the extra scrubbing today. Oddly, the shave did tingle a bit, but not on the neck, which is the most sensitive.

Shave 2 in the books with the Tiger, t'wasn't bad, t'wasn't great. With the unknown source of the tightness, I can't really say if the blade got better on the second shave. I did achieve a very acceptable shave today, one I'd take any day of the week. So far El Tigre is behaving, the next shave with be with ARKO!. I won't have any issues with ARKO! lathering up easily, DE will either be the Tech or back to the Super Speed.

That's about all for today, work is crazy, work, not me. Anywho, I wish all a blessed weekend and Palm Sunday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2780.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 77 of 300+
March GRUME 21/31
Shave Date 3/23/2024
DE:
1967 Gillette Slim TTO Adjustable
Blade: Tiger Platinum(2)
Soap: Barrister and Mann Nordost
Brush: Zenith 5-7 Blue Cobalt Boar
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Nordost A/S.

Notes:

Shave number 2 on the Tigers came and went without much of a problem. Just about a duplicate of yesterday's shave, with the same number of passes. Once again, I did not chase BBS other than the left jaw joint area, one of my most resistant Sea Lion fur patches. The B&M Nordost required extra attention this morning to achieve the desired consistency, I had to go to the mug for more water and scrub the face more so than usual this morning. The sea lions are in the same spot as yesterday, but El Tigre behaved for the most part this morning. DFS++ on the neck and BBS on the face. My face feels a tad tight this morning, as though I chase BBS many passes. Is this due to a tugging Tiger? Or due to the extra face scrubbing that the B&M soap required today. I had no noticeable feedback from the Alum block today, which leads me to think the tightness is due to the extra scrubbing today. Oddly, the shave did tingle a bit, but not on the neck, which is the most sensitive.

Shave 2 in the books with the Tiger, t'wasn't bad, t'wasn't great. With the unknown source of the tightness, I can't really say if the blade got better on the second shave. I did achieve a very acceptable shave today, one I'd take any day of the week. So far El Tigre is behaving, the next shave with be with ARKO!. I won't have any issues with ARKO! lathering up easily, DE will either be the Tech or back to the Super Speed.

That's about all for today, work is crazy, work, not me. Anywho, I wish all a blessed weekend and Palm Sunday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1816986
See @Balin you have no need to be afraid of the little kitty cat. @cajunrph is doing just fine. You just have to be nice and pet the kitty nicely. I know what happened. You must have tried to pet the belly. Yeah that does not work well.

300+ Shaves in 2024 78 of 300+
March GRUME 22/31
Shave Date 3/24/2024
DE:
Military Issue Tech Spec Made in England
Blade: Tiger Platinum(3)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap/Neutrogena Original Facial Cleansing bar.
Soap: Palmolive Men's Shave Cream
Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake 24mm Two Band Badger
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Bootleggers El Dorado.
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, just shy of BBS face, and DFS++ neck.

Notes:

Shave number 3 on the Tiger is the best so far. Closest shave of the three, again without any excessive BBS chasing. The Sea Lions are off the dock, and left a minimal amount of fur on the dock here and there. Dolphins are near swimming with glee. No blood or irritation today. I think yesterday's tightness was due to the extra face scrubbing needed to get the B&M soap to the correct consistency. I wasn't going to shave today, as I served the 5:30 Vigil mass for Palm Sunday last night, but it's Palm Sunday, I had to get a Palmolive Sunday shave in on the actual day. El Dorado is the cherry on top of a very good shave.

So far the Tiger has been tame, to be fair I am being cautious and using my most familiar to me and best razors, as well as not chasing BBS past one additional pass. Today it just worked out that I was able to get the best shave. Despite the good shave, the Tiger has not changed in the ranking, it is still last on the list of blades since I started back with the DE razors. But that list is an excellent list of blades, GSB, Lords, and Dorco Titan are no slouches, the Tiger would be expected to be last among those blades. Two more to go on this blade and it gets binned. Is the Tiger better than it's poor reputation or my approach to use a healthy dose of caution the reason for the lack of a blood bath. The answer is likely in between those two extremes. The first two shaves were ok, nothing to write home about, this one was a good one, close and comfortable. The other three were great out of the gate, thus the last place ranking of the Tiger. As I said before, the bar was set so low on this blade that the lack of a bloodbath almost seems like a victory.

The start of Holy Week is upon us, I may be sporadic towards the end of the week with my posting as this is a very busy week for us. That being said I wish all a blessed Holy Week, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2783.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 79 of 300+
March GRUME 23/31
Shave Date 3/25/2024
DE:
1948 Super Speed
Blade: Tiger Platinum(4)
Soap: ARKO!!!
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Canoe Cologne Splash.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, just shy of DFS+++ face, and DFS++ neck.

Notes:

Shave number 4 with El Tigre has come and gone without much difference from yesterday. This shave is more like the first two shaves, not as close as yesterday. Maybe the Tiger has lost a few teeth. I did the same number of passes as I have done from shave 1 with this blade, three passes, and one clean-up pass. Yesterday I was able to get a very close shave, today there is more stubble on the cheeks and neck, just a hint more. The Sea Lions prefer today's shave to yesterday's shave. Although the Tigers continue to deliver acceptable shaves, they remain in last place in my blade standings. ARKO!! did a fine job of lathering and Canoe Splash received the fully away spousal approval this morning.

More fountain pens made it to work today, Noodlers Black will work out fine with my papers at work. I have it loaded in the Faber Castell Hexo currently, which is one of my preferred pens, and will not likely live at work as I like to journal with that pen quite a bit. I also have a Platinum Preppy and Pilot Varsity at work as well, both would suffice for work, but they both shadow through more than Noodlers Black on the copy paper I mostly write on at work. The ideal solution may be to load Noodlers Black into one of the cheap "Disposable" pens when I run through ink in the cartridge in them. The Pilot is an EF nib, which lays down a very thin line, as is to be expected with the Japanese nibs running smaller than most other nibs. I’m not too sure l like such a thin line. Time will tell.

Monday is being a Monday, so I'm going to cut it off here. I wish all a blessed Monday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2793.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 79 of 300+
March GRUME 23/31
Shave Date 3/25/2024
DE:
1948 Super Speed
Blade: Tiger Platinum(4)
Soap: ARKO!!!
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag
Post-shave: Alum Block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Canoe Cologne Splash.
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, just shy of DFS+++ face, and DFS++ neck.

Notes:

Shave number 4 with El Tigre has come and gone without much difference from yesterday. This shave is more like the first two shaves, not as close as yesterday. Maybe the Tiger has lost a few teeth. I did the same number of passes as I have done from shave 1 with this blade, three passes, and one clean-up pass. Yesterday I was able to get a very close shave, today there is more stubble on the cheeks and neck, just a hint more. The Sea Lions prefer today's shave to yesterday's shave. Although the Tigers continue to deliver acceptable shaves, they remain in last place in my blade standings. ARKO!! did a fine job of lathering and Canoe Splash received the fully away spousal approval this morning.

More fountain pens made it to work today, Noodlers Black will work out fine with my papers at work. I have it loaded in the Faber Castell Hexo currently, which is one of my preferred pens, and will not likely live at work as I like to journal with that pen quite a bit. I also have a Platinum Preppy and Pilot Varsity at work as well, both would suffice for work, but they both shadow through more than Noodlers Black on the copy paper I mostly write on at work. The ideal solution may be to load Noodlers Black into one of the cheap "Disposable" pens when I run through ink in the cartridge in them. The Pilot is an EF nib, which lays down a very thin line, as is to be expected with the Japanese nibs running smaller than most other nibs. I’m not too sure l like such a thin line. Time will tell.

Monday is being a Monday, so I'm going to cut it off here. I wish all a blessed Monday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1818094
Platinum Preppy is a great throw around fountain pen. If you get the 02 nib it is pretty fine and a great match. When I use my Preppys I I just syringe refill the old cartridges. The Platinum cost almost double of what the Preppy pen cost so it is a hard sell.

Platinum Preppy is a great throw around fountain pen. If you get the 02 nib it is pretty fine and a great match. When I use my Preppys I I just syringe refill the old cartridges. The Platinum cost almost double of what the Preppy pen cost so it is a hard sell.
That's what I'll do. My Preppy is a 03 nib. This reminds me I need to get a smaller syringe for these pens, I used a 30ml syringe I had for mixing Bootleggers Aftershave mixes to load my LAMY converter yesterday. It filled the converter very quickly. I'll source a 3ml syringe for more precision.

Top Bottom