March GRUME 7/31
Shave Date 3/8/2024
DE:
El Grande de Fat Tip
Blade: Dorco Titan (3)
Pre-Shave: PAA The Cube 2.0/Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Cella Crema Da Barba Almond
Brush: Zenith 507-BC Blue Cobolt.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bears Winter Post-Shave Balm, British Sterling EDT Splash
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS face, just shy of BBS on the neck.

Notes:

El Grande was sitting there, asking me.
"Cho scared of me?? Cho use all doze utter razors, but I sit here alone. Tell me Juan, cho skeered of me?"
"No I'm not scared of you, heck I've shaved with a straight razor to my throat for the past 90 days, Cho don't skeerr me."

After putting El Grande in his place, he was up next in the rotation, how did it go? Did El Grande behave? Those answers and more in a moment. On to the shave............................

El Grande lives in his box away from the other DE razors and sometimes he goes unnoticed. Today he made his appearance upon my return to the DE razors and it was a very good shave. Yes, a very good shave indeed. As with the latest shaves, the dolphins are swimming with glee, and the sea lions are off the dock and left a tad bit of fur behind. I do feel a slight tightness in my face this morning, more so than I felt with the straight razors. Whether this is due to the DEs being harsher than the straights or the fact that I am getting a closer shave with the DE vs the straights is the question. Or maybe it isn't a question that needs to be answered, and I should just enjoy the shave, as some tightness is ok with me. I do have more alum feedback as well, which again I am fine with. It makes you feel alive. And I did break out in the Bee Gees “Staying Alive” this morning,

Stayin Alive GIF by Bee Gees

I caught myself after a few disco moves. I'm not the best dancer and I have a suspect back, good thing my wife is away spending time with Legend and his family, another moment she'd have thought I lost it.

Cella is more of a croap than a cream. I ended up just about having to bowl lather to get it all to incorporate into the brush. Some was left behind on the edges of the bowl when I washed up. It was just as hard as the RazoRock soaps and just shy of the Goodfella Smiles soap of yesterday. It did produce a plentiful amount of lather and did a fine job. The almond scent is not overwhelming and it didn’t bother me that much. I put off using this cream till now because the tub scent wasn’t the best to me. It ended up being a mild enough scent to go unnoticed.

@Eric_75 mentioned British Sterling yesterday, so I pulled out my stock. Not as good as I remember back in the day, but a good enough scent. Like Canoe from yesterday, the strength of the scent leaves something to be desired, especially for an EDT, maybe the splash designation means it's not as strong. Nonetheless this is a good splash to have in my rotation and I do like the scent. No spousal approval yet as my wife is out of town at the moment.

On the journaling front, I finished up one of my journals this morning, one I stared in 2022. My morning journaling has taken off during Lent and I flew through the last third of the journal in three weeks. I started another one this morning. Also, yesterday I used up all the ink in one of my fountain pens, the first one I dried up during my fountain pen journey. I tried next to use Noodlers 54th in the pen, a Hongdian 517D, but even with the fine nib, the Noodlers flow was too great and it led to slight bleeding through. I changed it out with a sample of Robert Oster Fire and Ice which is on the verge of bleeding through but still usable. I see only Ice in my journaling so far with this sample, a more vibrant blue vs the darker blues of the others I have been using lately. I have some other colors in my samples that I’ll get to some day. For now I’ve been shades of blue and black ink kind of guy.

That is all for today, gotta get back at it. I wish all a blessed Friday and weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.
IMG_2683.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 63 of 300+
March GRUME 7/31
Shave Date 3/8/2024
DE:
El Grande de Fat Tip
Blade: Dorco Titan (3)
Pre-Shave: PAA The Cube 2.0/Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: Cella Crema Da Barba Almond
Brush: Zenith 507-BC Blue Cobolt.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bears Winter Post-Shave Balm, British Sterling EDT Splash
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS face, just shy of BBS on the neck.

Notes:

El Grande was sitting there, asking me.
"Cho scared of me?? Cho use all doze utter razors, but I sit here alone. Tell me Juan, cho skeered of me?"
"No I'm not scared of you, heck I've shaved with a straight razor to my throat for the past 90 days, Cho don't skeerr me."

After putting El Grande in his place, he was up next in the rotation, how did it go? Did El Grande behave? Those answers and more in a moment. On to the shave............................

El Grande lives in his box away from the other DE razors and sometimes he goes unnoticed. Today he made his appearance upon my return to the DE razors and it was a very good shave. Yes, a very good shave indeed. As with the latest shaves, the dolphins are swimming with glee, and the sea lions are off the dock and left a tad bit of fur behind. I do feel a slight tightness in my face this morning, more so than I felt with the straight razors. Whether this is due to the DEs being harsher than the straights or the fact that I am getting a closer shave with the DE vs the straights is the question. Or maybe it isn't a question that needs to be answered, and I should just enjoy the shave, as some tightness is ok with me. I do have more alum feedback as well, which again I am fine with. It makes you feel alive. And I did break out in the Bee Gees “Staying Alive” this morning,

Stayin Alive GIF by Bee Gees

I caught myself after a few disco moves. I'm not the best dancer and I have a suspect back, good thing my wife is away spending time with Legend and his family, another moment she'd have thought I lost it.

Cella is more of a croap than a cream. I ended up just about having to bowl lather to get it all to incorporate into the brush. Some was left behind on the edges of the bowl when I washed up. It was just as hard as the RazoRock soaps and just shy of the Goodfella Smiles soap of yesterday. It did produce a plentiful amount of lather and did a fine job. The almond scent is not overwhelming and it didn’t bother me that much. I put off using this cream till now because the tub scent wasn’t the best to me. It ended up being a mild enough scent to go unnoticed.

@Eric_75 mentioned British Sterling yesterday, so I pulled out my stock. Not as good as I remember back in the day, but a good enough scent. Like Canoe from yesterday, the strength of the scent leaves something to be desired, especially for an EDT, maybe the splash designation means it's not as strong. Nonetheless this is a good splash to have in my rotation and I do like the scent. No spousal approval yet as my wife is out of town at the moment.

On the journaling front, I finished up one of my journals this morning, one I stared in 2022. My morning journaling has taken off during Lent and I flew through the last third of the journal in three weeks. I started another one this morning. Also, yesterday I used up all the ink in one of my fountain pens, the first one I dried up during my fountain pen journey. I tried next to use Noodlers 54th in the pen, a Hongdian 517D, but even with the fine nib, the Noodlers flow was too great and it led to slight bleeding through. I changed it out with a sample of Robert Oster Fire and Ice which is on the verge of bleeding through but still usable. I see only Ice in my journaling so far with this sample, a more vibrant blue vs the darker blues of the others I have been using lately. I have some other colors in my samples that I’ll get to some day. For now I’ve been shades of blue and black ink kind of guy.

That is all for today, gotta get back at it. I wish all a blessed Friday and weekend, and may all your shaves be the best.
View attachment 1808840
Yep blue and black is certainly a staple and I did only those for quite some time. Then a grey came in and I was like hey that is some cool shading. I wonder what else shades well. Hmm brown ohh yeah. Time for some purple or blurple then you get kind of weird and you encounter the likes of Rohrer & Klingner alt-goldgrun. I didn't have a writing sample of it so I got a screenshot from Ink Review #14: Rohrer & Klingner Alt-Goldgrun — Fountain Pen Pharmacist - https://fountainpenpharmacist.com/blog/2019/10/09/ink-review-14-rohrer-klingner-alt-goldgrun. I would never imagine in my life that I would think this is a cool color. Well tastes change over time I guess. Ohh the shading......... For some odd reason unknown to me I love it. Especially in a stub, italic nib.
1709916032195.png

300+ Shaves in 2024 64 of 300+
March GRUME 8/31
Shave Date 3/9/2024
DE:
Military Spec Tech with Don (aka @huck1680) made 50 Caliber Handle
Blade: Dorco Titan (4)
Pre-Shave: Razor Emporium Pre-Shave soap
Soap: West Coast Shaving Barbershop
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm two banned badger
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur Cologne
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 9 for cuts and weepers(1), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS face, just shy of BBS on the neck.

Notes:
A fantastic shave this morning. I was thinking last night that I might be able to fit in a straight shave today, as work opens an hour later on Saturdays, it wasn't to be as I was very late getting into the bathroom this morning. No big deal, the DE did an excellent job of whisker removal. A tic ahead of yesterdays shave, the Sea Lions left less fur on the dock as they were being run into the water today vs yesterday, but they left some blood behind, and the dolphins are just as happy swimming out in the bay with glee. This is a truly great shave, smooth on just about the whole face, blood and alum sting brings it back a few tics. But that may be the cost of such a close shave.

I chased BBS too much today and got a nick on the neck that required the styptic pencil to close up fully. The alum block was singing more this morning also, letting me know I am reaching the limits of how much I can chase BBS before impending doom sets in. The diagonal passes on the neck are more efficient at removing the stubble, at the cost of some irritation and today a nick. No pain no gain isn't as applicable to wet shaving as it is to muscle building. Although I wasn't really bothered by the additional feedback from the alum block this morning, as stated before it is a sign to proceed with caution and don't chase BBS too much, least you bleed like Jerry Cooney vs Mike Tyson.

I pulled another old school scent this morning, Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur, pairs nicely with WSC Barbershop. I did get the fully awake spousal approval this morning on the scent. This one is hanging around longer than the Dana scents from the previous two days.

That is all for today, I wish all a blessed Saturday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2690.jpeg

A two'fer today.

300+ Shaves in 2024 65 of 300+
March GRUME 9/31
Shave Date 3/10/2024
DE:
Rockwell 6C #4 Plate
Blade: Dorco Titan (5)
Soap: Palmolive Shaving Cream
Brush: YDs Cosmetics 24MM two band Mardi Gras swirl Badger
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm
Rating: 27/30 8 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS face, just shy of BBS on the neck.

Notes:
Palmolive Sunday shave before church, I did what I shouldn't have done, something I had been warning myself not to do, I chased BBS on the neck with diagonal passes and I thought I got away with it. Looking in the mirror in the car before heading into church I noticed quite a few red bumps on my neck. It is the telltale sign of being a hammerhead and chasing BBS on the neck when you know what could happen. DOH!!!
homer simpson doh GIF

Other than the irritation, the shave was excellent, BBS and the sea lions were off the dock again with some fur left behind but no blood this time. I was feeling confident after the shave as I headed out the door, the wind was taken out of my sails when I looked in the mirror on the car's visor before mass. The Dorco was just as smooth as ever and I could likely use it for a few more shaves, but my routine is 5 and bin them while I am working through the blades in my stash to see what ones I will stock up on. The brush was still scratchy, it will need more shaves and towel stropping to break it in more. And Palmolive shave cream did a fine job of lathering and providing more than enough lather for all the passes.

IMG_2694.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 66 of 300+
March GRUME 10/31
Shave Date 3/11/2024
DE:
Yates 'Merica
Blade: Bolzano Superinox (1)
Soap: Martin De Candre Rose
Brush: Ds Cosmetics 24mm two banned badger
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, 007 Cologne
Rating: 27/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 7 for smoothness, neck stubble, DFS face and neck.

Notes:

I took it easy this morning, with fewer passes and I did no chasing of BBS, this resulted in a step or two down in the level of smoothness for the shave. The Bolanzo blade felt a bit rough as well which may have been from the BBS chasing yesterday. The blade is made in Egypt, I'm guessing made by the Lord's factory there, but an internet search pulled up nothing. I can't give these a proper evaluation just yet. I will see what tomorrow brings. MdC did a fine job of lathering and the 007 Cologne I pulled out while cleaning up is a nice change of pace. A good shave, even if it is a tad on the hairy side. No dolphins in sight today and the Sea Lions are peacefully lounging all over the docks.

I'm going to cut it short today, busy at work and it's already after 1 pm. I wish all a blessed Monday and work week ahead, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2696.jpeg

300+ Shaves in 2024 67 of 300+
March GRUME 11/31
Shave Date 3/12/2024
DE:
1948 Gillette Super Speed TTO
Blade: Bolzano Superinox (2)
Soap: Noble Otter Rawr
Brush: Yaqi Cavern Lake 24mm two banned badger
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, Noble Otter Rah
Rating: 28/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 8 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS face and DFS++ neck.

Notes:

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks??? Well not a new trick but more along the lines of following your own advice. Today's shave was fantastic, not quite as close as the top shaves, but it is a step up yesterday's shave. The learning part came at the end when I felt the sea lion stubble left, razor in hand, just looking at those sea lions lounging on the dock snoring, thinking, I'll get you my pretties, just not today. Discretion is the better part of valor and live to fight another day are good mottos to live by. Add to that, don't chase the sea lions off the dock when you have an excellent shave already. So I left those fat sunny beaches on the dock to have a good day. One day, one day, to the moon, sea lions!!!! My cheeks are very smooth, just about as good as could be expected, and the stubble on the neck is quite acceptable.

The Bolzano blade did feel harsher than the Lords or the Dorco blades of the previous shaves. Maybe my face is slightly irritated still. I do notice I can feel the blade much better with the Super Speed than with the Yates. It seems the Yates has a narrower range of acceptable angles to shave, not as bad as a Henson locking you into one angle, but I did feel like the Super Speed had a wide range of angles I could shave at. I do ride the cap on my ATG passes, which for me gives a better, more comfortable shave as well as a close shave. I feel the Super Speed can ride the cap better than the Yates can. I don't recall having any issues with the Yates before. I plan on picking up a Goodfella Smiles Bayonette on the first to add to my arsenal. I could just go get some other Vintage Gillette razors, as those are in truth my go-to razors, now that the Rex has a new home. We shall see, I'm holding off because of my hiatus of unnecessary purchases for the time being. Building character. Yeah, that's the ticket.

Noble Otter Rawr is a good one, I have so many soaps with scents I enjoy, that it is hard to get to them all in a timely fashion. The results of a buying spree that left me stocked for 30 stinking years in regards to shaving soap. I don't need any more soap, I don't need any more soap, I don't need any more soap.........

Where was I? I shall cut this off at this time, work is here and the challenges of the day await me. I wish all a blessed Tuesday and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2701.jpeg

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks??? Well not a new trick but more along the lines of following your own advice. Today's shave was fantastic, not quite as close as the top shaves, but it is a step up yesterday's shave. The learning part came at the end when I felt the sea lion stubble left, razor in hand, just looking at those sea lions lounging on the dock snoring, thinking, I'll get you my pretties, just not today. Discretion is the better part of valor and live to fight another day are good mottos to live by. Add to that, don't chase the sea lions off the dock when you have an excellent shave already. So I left those fat sunny beaches on the dock to have a good day. One day, one day, to the moon, sea lions!!!! My cheeks are very smooth, just about as good as could be expected, and the stubble on the neck is quite acceptable.
Yep been there many times and failed at restraining myself to my own demise. Knowing and actually following through of when to stop pursuing those sea lions are a very difficult thing for me. I will give myself weepers and cause irritation instead. Maybe the remedy is to shave without much checking the result and once the razor is cleaned and put away I am allowed to check the result. Is that what it will take?

Yep been there many times and failed at restraining myself to my own demise. Knowing and actually following through of when to stop pursuing those sea lions are a very difficult thing for me. I will give myself weepers and cause irritation instead. Maybe the remedy is to shave without much checking the result and once the razor is cleaned and put away I am allowed to check the result. Is that what it will take?
That’s what I did yesterday to ensure I didn’t go after the sea lions. At the end of the passes I cleaned out the brush before I washed the remaining lather from my face. That way I had no lather to even attempt to shave the neck closer. It worked out. And today, man, let me tell you, I was tempted. But I was able to withstand the temptation.

300+ Shaves in 2024 68 of 300+
March GRUME 12/31
Shave Date 3/13/2024
DE:
1967 Gillette Slim Adjustable TTO
Blade: Bolzano Superinox (3)
Soap: PAA Black Shroud
Brush: Yaqi Caramel 26mm two banned badger
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bear's Winter Post-Shave Balm, PAA Black Shroud
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS face and DFS++ neck.

Notes:

Today's shave was a step-up on yesterday’s shave, I did a few clean up passes on the neck without any irritation. The sea lions are still there, further down the dock with less hair, but no blood or redness. This was an excellent shave for a hump day or any day of the week. Not quite a pinnacle shave, but right off the top tier, and better than the last two days. The Bolanzo blade has settled down and seems to be smoothing out. If that is due to the irritation I did with the excessive cleanup passes on Sunday clearing up or due to the blade improving is to be determined.

The Woodhue homage Black Shroud is one of my favorite scents. I keep on thinking about using it, then something else comes up. Like Witchcraft Wednesday. Today I put the Labyrinth aside and pulled out the Black Shroud. I guess I can call it Woodhue Wednesday and be in a theme. Not that it really matters. Haha. A great scent and, as I said before, the one Dean Martin wore daily.

I am thinking that I'm a vintage razor guy more than the modern items. I am not drawn to the Blackland's and the like of the shaving world. I do think those are beautiful razors, and I am sure are a fine example of engineering, but if you think about the simple construction of the Gillette Safety razors, the stamped steel they used, and how efficient it is for its intended job, you can come to appreciate the engineering in these vintage razors also. The way the razors rinse out, the smoothness, the ease of riding the cap, the wider range of angles able to be used with them, dunno, they just call to me more. To shave with a razor older than you are, one that may have been used by fathers of my father's generation, to me that adds something to the joy of shaving. It is a YMMV kind of thing, and I fully understand the allure of the Blacklands and others in its class. My wallet is thankful I am more interested in Vintage than the multiple times more expensive, higher end alternatives.

I'd like additional razors to add to the mix, I may not get the Goodfella Smiles Bayonette after all and find a few Vintage Gillettes on eBay. My Yates has fallen a few notched down on my list of next up razors, I am preferring the Vintage ones I have now, of which I only have two. Three, counting the Military spec Tech that was made sometimes in the 60-80's, which is pushing the Vintage tag. It was a NOS and therefor saw no action in any conflict. Decisions, decisions.

That is it for a Wednesday, may all have a blessed Wednesday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2703.jpeg

Last edited:

lasta

Blade Biter
There was a time when one was either a Super Speed guy or a Tech guy. I'd say, not reason why you can't like both!

If there is one other must have Gillette, I'd pitch in for a New Improved. Efficient, pretty, and the wider teeth make it one of the smoothest OC's I've tried. I'd opt for the 3 piece tuckaway versions, but the original is fine by itself.

But...a razor is nothing but a blade holder, where the GSB at?

Top Bottom