What's new

A journal of a Cajun's life wet shaving

Raven Koenes

My precious!
It's a fifty-fifty proposition with our cat, Kala. It's a dare.
323360248_1264282634432068_9081200687810543844_n_29.jpg

300+ Shaves in 2024 62 of 300+
March GRUME 6/31
Shave Date 3/7/2024
DE:
1948 Gillette Super Speed TTO
Blade: Dorco Titan (2)
Pre-Shave: PAA The Cube 2.0
Soap: Goodfellas Smile Furiah
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bears Winter Post-Shave Balm, Canoe EDT Splash
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS face, just shy of BBS on the neck.

Notes:

The timing for my shaves during Lent is such that DE shaves are easier to fit into the schedule than straight razor shaves. I have begun to journal more in the morning to capture my thoughts and feelings after the Lenten morning meditations and I will put the straights on a slight hiatus till Lent is over.

I did have more blade feel with the Super Speed than I did with the Yates I used yesterday, there was no blood today but those sea lions were ran off the dock again today. Just as yesterday, they left a tad bit of fur behind, and the dolphins are swimming with glee out in the bay. All is good in the land. The neck and jawline are up there with the best of my shaves, and the cheeks are BBS. I need to be cautious with my chasing of BBS on the neck, I found myself striving for the complete removal of the sea lions today by doing extra passes. I was fortunate today that I did not get any irritation, as before I used to get neck irritation if I chased BBS too much.

My DE shaves are just three passes and clean-up, whereas the straights do 4 passes and any needed clean-up. My DE shaves are one N-S on everything, One right ear to left ear on everything, and one S-N on everything. I do clean-up on the neck with a diagonal pass from the right to the left side, sorta in between a true XTG and ATG pass for the neck. It seems to clean it up as well as an ATG pass does on the neck. I did chase ATG today on the neck and luckily I did not get any irritation.

Canoe is a blast from the past, I remember this scent in high school. But it seems that the scent isn't as strong as it was back in the day, or my sense of smell is still compromised either way, the scent isn't that much stronger than some of my aftershaves. But it's a good one.

I need to start an analog journal of my DE shaves as I have for my straights and keep better track of the metrics. With just two blades used thus far after bringing the DE out of retirement, the Lord Super Stainless ranks higher than the Dorco Titan. I was pleasantly surprised with how good the Lord Super Stainless was. I will not refer to the other highly regarded blade, the one I was on the fast track to Bishop status that was derailed by the straights, I'll say the Lord can stand toe to toe with any of them. This is good news as their factory is still cranking out blades. The Dorco is not that far behind the Lord blade, just a hair behind, both are excellent blades and have delivered some of the best shaves I have had ever.

'Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Thursday, and may all your shaves be the best.

IMG_2675.jpeg

Last edited:
300+ Shaves in 2024 62 of 300+
March GRUME 6/31
Shave Date 3/7/2024
DE:
1948 Gillette Super Speed TTO
Blade: Dorco Titan (2)
Pre-Shave: PAA The Cube 2.0
Soap: Goodfellas Smile Furiah
Brush: Zenith 507-IF Italian Flag.
Post-Shave: Alum block, Thayer's Witch Hazel, Momma Bears Winter Post-Shave Balm, Canoe EDT Splash
Rating: 29/30 10 for Comfort, 10 for cuts and weepers(0), 9 for smoothness, neck stubble, BBS face, just shy of BBS on the neck.

Notes:

The timing for my shaves during Lent is such that DE shaves are easier to fit into the schedule than straight razor shaves. I have begun to journal more in the morning to capture my thoughts and feelings after the Lenten morning meditations and I will put the straights on a slight hiatus till Lent is over.

I did have more blade feel with the Super Speed than I did with the Yates I used yesterday, there was no blood today but those sea lions were ran off the dock again today. Just as yesterday, they left a tad bit of fur behind, and the dolphins are swimming with glee out in the bay. All is good in the land. The neck and jawline are up there with the best of my shaves, and the cheeks are BBS. I need to be cautious with my chasing of BBS on the neck, I found myself striving for the complete removal of the sea lions today by doing extra passes. I was fortunate today that I did not get any irritation, as before I used to get neck irritation if I chased BBS too much.

My DE shaves are just three passes and clean-up, whereas the straights do 4 passes and any needed clean-up. My DE shaves are one N-S on everything, One right ear to left ear on everything, and one S-N on everything. I do clean-up on the neck with a diagonal pass from the right to the left side, sorta in between a true XTG and ATG pass for the neck. It seems to clean it up as well as an ATG pass does on the neck. I did chase ATG today on the neck and luckily I did not get any irritation.

Canoe is a blast from the past, I remember this scent in high school. But it seems that the scent isn't as strong as it was back in the day, or my sense of smell is still compromised either way, the scent isn't that much stronger than some of my aftershaves. But it's a good one.

I need to start an analog journal of my DE shaves as I have for my straights and keep better track of the metrics. With just two blades used thus far after bringing the DE out of retirement, the Lord Super Stainless ranks higher than the Dorco Titan. I was pleasantly surprised with how good the Lord Super Stainless was. I will not refer to the other highly regarded blade, the one I was on the fast track to Biship status that was derailed by the straights, I'll say the Lord can stand toe to toe with any of them. This is good news as their factory is still cranking out blades. The Dorco is not that far behind the Lord blade, just a hair behind, both are excellent blades and have delivered some of the best shaves I have had ever.

'Tis all for today, I wish all a blessed Thursday, and may all your shaves be the best.

View attachment 1808289
The blade that shall not be named. Indeed we do not speak of it's name.

Top Bottom