What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Okay shooting. I wasn't trying for bullseye or tiny groupings and the day was more simply a function check of the two old pistols and the new magazine. What I did find interesting was that I have been fighting a left POI bias and although I did nothing differently it seems totally missing in this small sample.

Maybe it’s time for a more modern pistol and a red dot?

:)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Our RSO match was a mini 3 gun match. Four steel plates and four IPSC targets. Stages began with all guns unloaded. Shotguns were restricted to pump action only. I shot my venerable Mossburg 590, my SIG P365X and an AR built by me. Long guns were positioned on tables with actions open, shot gun shells were loose on the table, rifle magazines on the table and handguns holstered unloaded, magazines in belt pouch. Each stage required movement between two shooting positions. Most of the participants had little to no 3 gun match experience. Once one finished shooting a long gun, it had to be placed on the table with action open before you could move to the next gun. A comedy of errors often ensued as shooters tried to load their shot guns under time and peer pressure! Lots of good natured ribbing and cat calling! I came in fourth place.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
An observation from our mini 3 gun match, those shooting a shotgun with a pistol grip seemed to be slower to load as compared to shotguns with a conventional stock. When I loaded my shotgun, a Moss. 590, after dropping the first shell into the open chamber and closing the action, I placed the stock over my shoulder resting on its side to load the subsequent shells into the tubular magazine. I find it less fiddley and quicker to get on target. The actual match winner, had a pistol griped stock but had to hold his shotgun upside down to load and was much slower getting his gun into action. But he is a very fast and accurate pistol shooter and made up time lost with the shotgun in order to have an overall faster time. I mentioned my technique to him, but he said the pistol grip got in the way when using the over the shoulder loading technique.

OkieStubble

An observation from our mini 3 gun match, those shooting a shotgun with a pistol grip seemed to be slower to load as compared to shotguns with a conventional stock. When I loaded my shotgun, a Moss. 590, after dropping the first shell into the open chamber and closing the action, I placed the stock over my shoulder resting on its side to load the subsequent shells into the tubular magazine. I find it less fiddley and quicker to get on target. The actual match winner, had a pistol griped stock but had to hold his shotgun upside down to load and was much slower getting his gun into action. But he is a very fast and accurate pistol shooter and made up time lost with the shotgun in order to have an overall faster time. I mentioned my technique to him, but he said the pistol grip got in the way when using the over the shoulder loading technique.

I know guys who will run their semi-auto shotguns CQB in between doors & hallways with their stocks still over their shoulder in that same combat loading position.

:)

Not me shooting but I stumbled into a neat range day today. I was at a gun show in SLC and as I was leaving noticed a lot of Marines and kids with rifle cases going in and out of the next room of the expo center. There was a CMP youth air rifle match going on. There were about 80 kids competing. Those kids can shoot!
cmp1.jpg
cmp2.jpg
cmp3.jpg
cmp4.jpg

Those scoreboard things they have are so cool.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Changed suppressors on the new Tippmann so I hit the range to verify POI/POA before I got out tonight to stalk critters. It was miidly wind but I'm gonna bame the horizontal dispersion on my booger hook...
Elite022424.jpg

As an aside I forgot my ARCA section so I had to run a plastic ammo box with a sandbag for the front rest and Armageddon Gear schmedium bag for the rear. Pretty happy with the outcome.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Took the little Beretta Pico to the range to see if I could still hit anything with the tiny 1½ finger hold. Used three magazines, one the extended standard, one shortened extended standard and the flush fit no bumper magazine that conceals best. Only shot at 5 yards and five rounds with each of the magazines since the Pico is really really skinny and with never more than a not quite full two finger grip not the most controlled handgun I own.

Beretta Pico showing the three magazine configurations:

Pico-03small.jpg

Pico-11small.jpg

I found I couldn't keep from the left bias error unless I used my second finger joint rather than the tip pad. The eight rounds in the 10 ring were using my second joint on the trigger and they are still left.

2024-02-24-Pico.jpg

Turns out I could kinda sorta do okay with it but it's definitely a "get off me" tool. Certainly easy to conceal though.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
We shot our RSO match yesterday, man-on-man double elimination bowling pin match. I shot my 1911 in .45 ACP for the first time in a long time. We shot two matches, in the first one I got eliminated early, but in the second one I came in second. Lots of fun. Good day at the range!

Not me shooting but I stumbled into a neat range day today. I was at a gun show in SLC and as I was leaving noticed a lot of Marines and kids with rifle cases going in and out of the next room of the expo center. There was a CMP youth air rifle match going on. There were about 80 kids competing. Those kids can shoot!
View attachment 1794347View attachment 1794348View attachment 1794349View attachment 1794350
Those scoreboard things they have are so cool.
Looked throgh the pictures. Good to see a lot of young ladies involved. Those air rifles can shoot. I probably have 12-15 not counting pistols. All but one are more sporter types, all spring air, break barrels, side lever and under lever and are very accurate. I do my shooting outdoors so wind conditions play a big part in accuracy. On a calm day a little 1" target at 50 yards with open sights is easy. The one target rifle is a mid 80's vintage Feinwerkbau 300s, designed as a 10 meter position rifle, so not much power at all. Off a bench using the factory diopter sights, and a proper target it is easy to put pellet after pellet through the same hole, maybe just a little variation. I do have a few that were designed as scope only guns, but as I get older, late 70's, I find I like my iron sights, diopters better, and shoot them better offhand than the optics. Best part is that I don't have to drive 50 miles to get to the range for my firearms.

Later today I hope to try out a little Diana airbug pistol a bolt action that can use a magazine so it can be either repeater or a single shot. Weather has been against me for any kind of shooting, either too chilly and windy, or rain. I have a couple of new firearms I have been wanting to shoot, but have delayed range trips due to rains, as I know drainage across the range is not the greatest and there was so much a few weeks back it would have been somewhat marshy, then the pretty days, we had winds 25-30 mph so not good there.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Our RSO match today was revolvers shooting a mix of IPSC targets and steel plates. I challenged myself by shooting my 2 1/2 inch S&W model 66 instead of my usual 6 inch 686. I came in 4th.

After the match I shot my 6 inch S&W 686 at 50 yds at a B 27 target, standing offhand.

IMG_2788.jpeg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
😜 Glorious day at the range with SP32 and SR22.

IMG_20240308_091052_edit_1709920129407.jpg

😉 Like Glen Quagmire says, "Ugly chicks need love too." However, with the rubber grp/sleeve, softest shooting CF revolver ever.

Everyone here has a Ruger SP101, but what you should have is a SR22. I always take a 22 for when spendy ammo runs out. It's usually SR22, and it doesn't get cleaned much.

IMG_20240308_093111_edit_1709921236281.jpg

That pistol simply never jams, no matter what ammo. New appreciation for it today (or maybe it was a blessed relief to switch to a better-looking gun, with infinitely better sights and trigger. 🧐 Could be that).

Speaking of lookers, maybe I ordered this:
79218-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Seven rounds, five different calibers in one gun? 5" bbl., Skeeter Skelton's favorite? I am a disciple of his. Sign me up.

AA

Last edited:

OkieStubble

😜 Glorious day at the range with SP32 and SR22.

View attachment 1808917

😉 Like Glen Quagmire says, "Ugly chicks need love too." However, with the rubber grp/sleeve, softest shooting CF revolver ever.

Everyone here has a Ruger SP101, but what you should have is a SR22. I always take a 22 for when spendy ammo runs out. It's usually SR22, and it doesn't get cleaned much.

View attachment 1808925
That pistol simply never jams, no matter what ammo. New appreciation for it today (or maybe it was a blessed relief to switch to a better-looking gun, with infinitely better sights and trigger. 🧐 Could be that).

Speaking of lookers, maybe I ordered this:
View attachment 1808924

Seven rounds, five different calibers in one gun? 5" bbl., Skeeter Skelton's favorite? I am a disciple of his. Sign me up.

AA

Great looking revolver. Is Ruger still producing the SR22?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 It's truth, that gun finished a milk-carton of cheapies that was making a rifle jam. 😸 It's a good eater. Ahem, they make mag followers that boost capacity to 13+1. There's even 22SD ammo for short barreled handguns these days. Just saying.

AA

Last week, was feeling pretty good considering I have not been dry firing at all. Consistently in the 1.5s range from concealment to the headbox.

Also ran a drill from another forum; draw x5, speed reload, another 5 done at 3 yards to a USPSA A zone. My ability with single stacks without a magwell really hold back my time but I was ok with my 4.55 run. I didn’t want to run it too much as it’s something I could see ingraining bad habits at 3 yards.

ETA: Pics won’t upload

OkieStubble

Last week, was feeling pretty good considering I have not been dry firing at all. Consistently in the 1.5s range from concealment to the headbox.

Also ran a drill from another forum; draw x5, speed reload, another 5 done at 3 yards to a USPSA A zone. My ability with single stacks without a magwell really hold back my time but I was ok with my 4.55 run. I didn’t want to run it too much as it’s something I could see ingraining bad habits at 3 yards.

ETA: Pics won’t upload

1.5 and 4.5 sounds pretty darn good to me?

When you say running without a mag well, do you mean a competition mag well?

What pistol are you running?

Top Bottom