What's new

A Day At The Range/Gun of the day

Had much to accomplish today sighting in 3 rifles. Two Marlin 1894 357 levers that are replacing the AR. A Ruger 10/22 with Trijicon Dual RMR.

Walking in the adjustment to the 10/22 at 25 yards...
IMG_2126.jpeg

One Marlin 1894 at 50 yards, the other at 100 yards. Identical rifles and loads required different rear sight adjustments. Also had to adjust the front sight windage on one of the rifles. Winchester 38 special, 130 grain. 50 yards with factory irons...
IMG_2118.jpeg

100 yards with factory irons...
IMG_2123.jpeg

Not bad for an old man.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
IMG_2726.jpeg

Another target that I shot yesterday at 100 yds. Four bullets in one hole, why can't they all be that way?

So a scoring question arises: How many score an "X"?

IMG_2728.jpeg

So the cluster of four measures 0.385 outer edge to outer edge approximately.

IMG_2729.jpeg

With the calipers set at the diameter of a .22 LR bullet at the outer most edge of the cluster, it looks to me it would still cut the "X" ring, for a total score of 99-5X. Anyone disagree?

Last edited:

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
I've spent the last couple days tinkering on the Tippmann and testing in the backyard (Yay suppressors! :lol: ). It's always had a "hickup" where it would either not strip a round off the mag or it would chamber a round but I'd have a dead trigger. Pretty random but most likely with a full magazine. Took a play from Gene Reed's (RIP) book... "A spring is the least expensive part of a machine gun so that's where I start." Sage advice so I pulled the buffer spring and took a gander. With the spring compressed to its maximum travel the rear coils don't even move so out came the dykes! Cut the flat part of the coil plus one more and bingo! It runs like a sewing machine! Verified with about 500 rounds of CCI SV and took it back apart and deburred the cut. It really is a whole 'nother animal now and I can even do 25+1 and it just runs. It would never do that before. The afterdark critter gitter' is mo' betta now and I am a happy boy. Just need a quick re-zero and I'll be ready for the racoon rut!

During the break I was frustrated trying to knock myself out getting the elusive high score on the ARA 50 yard unlimited target. Even indoors, I couldn't get above a 2300. So I started a development ladder for my 1-14 twist 6br rifle at 100 yards off the bench. Of course, these were shot outdoors and I'm not very good at wind calls even in group shooting. These 3x and 5x groups loaded with N135 and tipped with Euber 68 gr bullets seemed to show promise and were better than the Varget groups. Now to load a dozen of these and retest.
6br groups 11 18 2023_2.jpg

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Took a couple of the old Sigs to the range this morning and they still work. Was checking out a 10 round magazine for the P226 (I like having at least one 10 round for each of my double stack pistols just in case we play the mag limit game yet again) so it was one mag through each.

2024-01-26-Sigs.jpg

Also I notice I don't have as big an issue with pulling shots left with the Sigs. So the question is, why have they been sitting in the dark? I need to get the P220 and P227 out again and see if they too help make me look more than hopeless.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Took a couple of the old Sigs to the range this morning and they still work. Was checking out a 10 round magazine for the P226 (I like having at least one 10 round for each of my double stack pistols just in case we play the mag limit game yet again) so it was one mag through each.

View attachment 1786388

Also I notice I don't have as big an issue with pulling shots left with the Sigs. So the question is, why have they been sitting in the dark? I need to get the P220 and P227 out again and see if they too help make me look more than hopeless.

Nice shooting.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Nice shooting.
Okay shooting. I wasn't trying for bullseye or tiny groupings and the day was more simply a function check of the two old pistols and the new magazine. What I did find interesting was that I have been fighting a left POI bias and although I did nothing differently it seems totally missing in this small sample.

nikonNUT

The "Peter Hathaway Capstick" of small game
Took the Tippmann to the range to re-zero and see if the barrel swap helped. Spoiler it did! Old barrel did a 2.944 MOA 10 shot group (1.538" wide x .845" high). New barrel did shrunk it to 1.264 MOA (.646" wide x .591" high). Back to minute of squirrel! Time to face and re-crown the old barrel for a spare.

Top Bottom