What's new

9mm carry load for cold weather.

Tap Rack Bang does work well for FTF’s & Stovepipes, but not Double feeds?

DF’s will need the magazine dropped, the slide manipulated several times in order to clear both rounds and then a fresh magazine inserted and then the slide charged again, in order to get back in the fight? :)

NY reload is faster.

I've been relying on Speer 115-grain Gold Dot since the mid-1990s, when I lived in Rochester, New York -- a place not known for its balmy weather.

The Lucky Gunner site's testing shows that this Gold Dot has an average gel penetration of 16.4", and a minimum of 14.9". I don't think you want a round that penetrates much more than that, and there's just no way it's not up to the task of layered clothing.

I'm not shilling for the Gold Dot; I'm just saying you don't need to use higher-grain loads in cold weather.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I've been relying on Speer 115-grain Gold Dot since the mid-1990s, when I lived in Rochester, New York -- a place not known for its balmy weather.

The Lucky Gunner site's testing shows that this Gold Dot has an average gel penetration of 16.4", and a minimum of 14.9". I don't think you want a round that penetrates much more than that, and there's just no way it's not up to the task of layered clothing.

I'm not shilling for the Gold Dot; I'm just saying you don't need to use higher-grain loads in cold weather.

I prefer Gold Dot over all others my self. I wonder if there are any shooting statistics on police officers in NY using the 115 gr GD on felons with thick goose down jackets on. I like Gold Dot 124 gr +P in most of my 9mm carry pistols, as the xtra velocity makes sure that HP opens up and expands reliably. There are two ways to thump a man with a bullet. The 9mm +P can thump a bit with it's increased speed at 396 ft pounds at the muzzle. I'm sure, most of that 396 ft pounds of thumping power is from the velocity and not the bullet weight which is around 1175 fps.

Just as the 230 gr. .45 ACP has a 533 ft pounds of energy at the muzzle. But since it's moving at the tawdry slow sub sonic speed of 830 fps, it's pretty clear to me, it's thumping power relies on that 230 gr slug.

Not that I mind carrying a 9mm in heavy coat weather, cuz 10 rounds of 124 gr +P Gold Dots are still effective no matter the weather or clothing. But in cold weather/heavy clothing, round for round? Kinda like in the UFC where they have a pound for pound best fighter in the UFC? Give me the .40 165 gr. Gold Dot which uses the best of both worlds if we are talking the pound for pound best self defensive cartridge which comes in a normal sized carry package. 165 0r 180 grains moving at 1150 fps will have two completely different ways to thump over just one versus the other two above.

There are outliers like the .357 Sig and the 10mm, but neither are considered a common carry round in pistols that people want to conceal carry other than big coat weather where they can be concealed. :)

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
warm weather or cold weather: putting accurate, well aimed shots in the kill zone of a man ends the gunfight every time.........

While this is true; the fast, extremely violent dynamics of a gunfight, makes accurate, well aimed shots, the exception and definitely not the rule. Real life hardly ever meets our preconceived expectations. Especially in a gunfight.

While many would switch to a heavier caliber for carry during cold weather and subsequent heavier layers of clothing, if for what ever reason you decided to stick with 9mm, supposing you already were carrying 124 gr. defensive loads, would you consider 147 gr. loads instead?
. :eek2::letterk1:

Top Bottom