What's new

9mm carry load for cold weather.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
While many would switch to a heavier caliber for carry during cold weather and subsequent heavier layers of clothing, if for what ever reason you decided to stick with 9mm, supposing you already were carrying 124 gr. defensive loads, would you consider 147 gr. loads instead?

The reason many go to a heavier load in the winter, because they think the lighter HP loads get clogged and are not very effective.

While this is somewhat true; 147 grain 9mm A. Is slower than 124 grain; and B. Isn’t that much heavier where it’s extra grains are going to make that much of a difference when it’s HP cavity gets clogged also.

If 9mm, just jump up to 124 gr. +P. You will get the exact same terminal ballistics with a clogged 124 9mm +P as you will with the clogged HP cavity of the just marginally heavier, but slower sub sonic 147 gr.

When it’s very cold heavy coat weather, I’ll strap on my Glock 23 in .40 where it will thump with the best of both worlds.

Fast & Heavy.

But if you really just want to do heavy and not fast? .45 ACP all day.

You want to carry your P365? Carry 124 gr +P or slower and just a bit heavier 147 gr.

But if it’s cold heavy coat weather, whichever you decide to carry; overcome the cold weather, heavy clothing discrepancies of 9mm by simply making sure you empty the magazine.

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
SIG P 365X and Kahr PM 9 loaded with Speer 124 gr. Gold Dot +P "short barrel".
G 19 loaded with Black Hills 124 gr. Gold Dot +P

I can always strap on the 10mm its the same size as my .45 ......... It will punch a hole in a peacoat
10mm-1 (2)_LI.jpg

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
smith and wesson solved this whole problem a very long itme agon, 44 caliber, 240 grain swc moving at 800-1100 fps.
Gentlemen, there are obviously MANY alternatives to 9 mm for cold weather carry. The original question and the whole reason for the thread is what 9mm load is best for cold weather carry. The premise is to stay in the 9mm format so that the EDC gun remains the same for sake of familiarity/manual of arms. Alternative caliber suggestion may be entertaining, but doesn't address the OP question. I have viable handguns in most commonly available calibers, not looking for suggestions to change firearms.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
As I'm traveling north for turkey day and I plan on taking more than one firearm, the commonality of caliber between said firearms is a factor that would not work if selecting a different caliber.

OkieStubble

Gentlemen, there are obviously MANY alternatives to 9 mm for cold weather carry. The original question and the whole reason for the thread is what 9mm load is best for cold weather carry. The premise is to stay in the 9mm format so that the EDC gun remains the same for sake of familiarity/manual of arms. Alternative caliber suggestion may be entertaining, but doesn't address the OP question. I have viable handguns in most commonly available calibers, not looking for suggestions to change firearms.

115, 124, 147 grains and +P 124. Frangible, HP and FMJ.

That’s it. The higher velocities achieved with 9mm allows us to carry more rounds and smaller compact pistols and still be as viable in self defense ballistics until…?

It’s a natural proclivity for the other gents to mention larger heavier calibers that will thump and hammer the body of a boogeyman covered in multiple layers of clothing.

While many gun magazine writer/expert will suggest that there isn’t any “real” differences in terminal ballistics of the 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP and they will make sure to bring along their FBI statistics charts on ballistic analysis to prove their points.

The subject of this very thread shows how a small environmental tweak of inclement Artic weather will/can throw a monkey into the wrench of the theory that the gaps between these three common and popular self defense calibers are maybe not as small as one thinks?

When ya need a hammer, ya need a hammer? :)

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
115, 124, 147 grains and +P 124. Frangible, HP and FMJ.

That’s it. The higher velocities achieved with 9mm allows us to carry more rounds and smaller compact pistols and still be as viable in self defense ballistics until…?

It’s a natural proclivity for the other gents to mention larger heavier calibers that will thump and hammer the body of a boogeyman covered in multiple layers of clothing.

While many gun magazine writer/expert will suggest that there isn’t any “real” differences in terminal ballistics of the 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP and they will make sure to bring along their FBI statistics charts on ballistic analysis to prove their points.

The subject of this very thread shows how a small environmental tweak of inclement Artic weather will/can throw a monkey into the wrench of the theory that the gaps between these three common and popular self defense calibers are maybe not as small as one thinks?

When ya need a hammer, ya need a hammer? :)
Frangible??

Hornady Critical Duty is engineered for applications to which you are referring. Albeit it's designed for larger sidearms; 124 gr. 9mm seems to work just ducky with most of my arsenal. Keep in mind this is defensive ammunition. I'm using this stuff in firearms that will see use primarily from 7-10 yards or less. Excellent product. Gold Dot remains my favorite though. Just soooo hard to find as a rule.
Headed to Knoxville for the holiday. Urban setting=Sig Sauer P365.
High capacity (no real need for spare magazines) easy to conceal, comfortable to carry (Thanks to a Ritchie Leather CQ-QR OWB holster).
Hornady ammunition....we are good to go😉
IMG_5469.jpeg

Last edited:

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Hornady Critical Duty is engineered for applications to which you are referring. Albeit it's designed for larger sidearms; 124 gr. 9mm seems to work just ducky with most of my arsenal. Keep in mind this is defensive ammunition. I'm using this stuff in firearms that will see use primarily from 7-10 yards or less. Excellent product. Gold Dot remains my favorite though. Just soooo hard to find as a rule.
High capacity (no real need for spare magazines) easy to conceal, comfortable to carry (Thanks to a Ritchie Leather CQ-QR OWB holster).
Hornady ammunition....we are good to go😉View attachment 1751876

I'll be carrying my P365X with me during my Thanksgiving trip. However I always carry one extra magazine, not for the extra bullets, but to be able to clear a malfunction quickly with a reload.

OkieStubble

Frangible??

I didn’t say frangible would be an effective choice, just adding it to the already too small list of what’s available in 9mm.

I could have listed +P+ and frangible as not reasonable options. :)

I still wouldn’t want to get shot with a magazine full of frangible 9mm, even if I was wearing a heavy coat. :)

OkieStubble

Hornady ammunition....we are good to go😉View attachment 1751876

I am of the opinion, If a gun is being carried, there is always a real reason to carry an extra magazine or speed loader.

Heck, I wouldn’t be ashamed to carry some loose rounds in my pocket if I had to.

I’m just a desperate individual I guess? :)

I shall never be critical of anyone who opts to carry a spare loading set up. Depending on the what and where I’ll tote an extra magazine or Speedloader. Often I’ll just work on the philosophy that 10-15 rounds should be adequate. 🤷‍♂️

OkieStubble

I shall never be critical of anyone who opts to carry a spare loading set up. Depending on the what and where I’ll tote an extra magazine or Speedloader. Often I’ll just work on the philosophy that 10-15 rounds should be adequate. 🤷‍♂️

Hypothetical…. What would you do if your P365 double feeds after the first round fired? How do you get your pistol back in the fight without an extra magazine?

Asking for a friend…. ;)

Top Bottom