What's new

9mm carry load for cold weather.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
While many would switch to a heavier caliber for carry during cold weather and subsequent heavier layers of clothing, if for what ever reason you decided to stick with 9mm, supposing you already were carrying 124 gr. defensive loads, would you consider 147 gr. loads instead?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I'm not sure I understand the reasoning behind your question. You mean because the 147 gr. has better penetration?
Yes potential better penetration, but I'm not sure how lacking a quality 124 gr projo is, if at all, when it comes to heavy clothing.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
But at the same time, I don't want over penetration like might be experienced with something like Buffalo Bore Outdoorsman loads.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Down here my answer would be no. Frankly the difference between maximum winter dress and normal summer dress is simply not that much.
I'm "down here" (Gulf South) but I occasionally go "up there" for holidays.

on the rare that i carry 9 i carry winchester 124 hp. but the reality is summer, winter whatever, I'm carrying either 200gr SSVC with 374 ft-lbs @ the muzzle/918 fps or 180 gr 624 ft-lb 1250 fps

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I sometimes wonder if there is a still a lot to worry about with the "heavy winter clothes." If you look at winter clothes 60-70yrs ago sure, penetration through thick felted wool, multiple heavy undershirts, and oiled canvas would be a problem. Today winter clothes are usually a synthetic filled nylon outer jacket that does not add that much "bulk" to outerwear. Even with multiple layers underneath it's usually going to be cotton or a cotton blend shirt/t-shirt. Even a couple pieces of denim should easily be penetrated by just about any modern load. Most of the current "penetration" testes that I've seen are fired through something crazy like 6-7 pieces of denim. If my attacker is wearing that many denim jackets (I hear they're coming back) or denim pairs of pants I'm not sure why id' be worried, they wouldn't be able to bend their knees or elbows enough to run/chase me or swing something at me/grab me. This is coming from someone that for years has been a proponent for the .45 but recently made the change to carrying primarily 9mm.

Last edited:
I sometimes wonder if there is a still a lot to worry about with the "heavy winter clothes." If you look at winter clothes 60-70yrs ago sure, penetration through thick felted wool, multiple heavy undershirts, and oiled canvas would be a problem. Today winter clothes are usually a synthetic filled nylon outer jacket that does not add that much "bulk" to outerwear. Even with multiple layers underneath it's usually going to be cotton or a cotton blend shirt/t-shirt. Even a couple pieces of denim should easily be penetrated by just about any modern load. Most of the current "penetration" testes that I've seen are fired through something crazy like 6-7 pieces of denim. If my attacker is wearing that many denim jackets (I hear they're come back) or denim pairs of pants I'm not sure why id' be worried, they wouldn't be able to bend their knees or elbows enough to run/chase me or swing something at me/grab me. This is coming from someone that for years has been a proponent for the .45 but recently made the change to carrying primarily 9mm.
i tend to agree. even if they are wearing leather or whatnot, the worse case scenario is the bullet doesn't expand and over penetrates. My rounds will almost certainly over penetrate, but when it comes out it will be 3/4' diameter or bigger.

R.jpg

9mm has better penetration than the .45acp, usually. 9mm will go through winter clothing with ease, especially the newer stuff, but the tried and trued Gold Dot or Hydroshok will easily defeat clothing. 9mm will go through car doors, too.

Even without deep penetration 13 rounds at close range (removing yourself from the threat area is an option if distance allows) is not exactly a light tap to the body and as Clint Smith says you can always "shoot em in the di*k" nobody likes that.......

I have carried 124 GD, 124 +p Gold Dot and 147 Golden Saber in 9mm. I do not think there is enough difference re winter v summer in any tier 1 round. If whatever I was carrying was reliable and I knew the POA/POI out to 25 ish, I would stick with what is working for me and drive on.

I do confess to moving away from 9 to .40 as it gets colder (KCMO metro area) using the 165 and 180g GD offerings. Most of that is that was simply the caliber/round of choice for many of my client agencies until the last few years and it is the round I have the most time with relative to defensive 9mm ammo.

I do not think there is enough of a difference between 9/40/45 for that, in and of itself to justify a switch for me. I might think differently if heavy clothes were a near daily thing and/or I was around cars as a patrol officer etc.

Bottom Line- In the next few years, I am going to have to feed and water my guns without client agency support. I will likely go in hard on RDS 9mm pistols using on of the rounds mentioned above with the possible addition of a Hornady 135 g offering.

Top Bottom