What's new

?

S

Scrubby

You mean after honing (because probably your skill increased) or just by miracle whilst your razors are laying around?

Some edges hold longer, but I've not encountered one that increased in keenness after a shave... Without a touch-up or stropping anyway.

Edit: guess OP is talking about razor blades...

Yes, I this is what I was trying to convey lol. This is even when Alfredo hones them up. I swear, one just lasts longer and cuts better.

Yes, some razors can take a better edge and/or that edge can last longer.

But a lot of what people surmise about this is more circumstantial than absolute.
For example... as much as people think they're uber consistent in everything they're still humans. So it's possible that one day one blade gets a little more attention than others.
That edge can seem sharper and because it may have been honed better the edge might seem to last longer.
Shaving skills and shave conditions matter too.
Sometimes someone might not get 'that edge' on a razor and blame the razor.
It might just be that the edge wasn't 100%.

So yeah, some blades are made of better steel and will get sharper, or at least seem sharper and the edges might last longer.
But I wouldn't be too quick to pass judgement though... a lot of things can factor in here.

Thanks to all comments. You know, I wish I would have gotten into straight shaving earlier. Maybe its me, but there seems to be less and less of the popular named razors for sale and all razors have inflated in price lol

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
They’re still out there. When you look at some of the collections on B&B or the Palace, you’re looking at decades of patience and looking. Granted, the selection, price, and quality isn’t what it was 20 years ago, but then what is?

The number of sale listings for straights has increased over the years actually. Plenty of name brands are represented too. The good news is that there are many lesser known brands and examples now also, and many are just as good as or even better than the big name blades. Back in 2011 you couldn't find an 8/8 W&B FBU for sale without scouring every source multiple times a day. Now you can probably find 10 on one auction site alone. Japanese razors were scarce as hen's teeth until a couple/few auction houses in Japan moved containers full of them to some vendors. There are some things that are conspicuously missing, like NOS Tennis razors - 12 years ago they would be snapped up fast. Now, I don't think anyone cares about a Fritz Bracht 5/8.... so we don't see them on the market. A good portion of razor buyers shifted their attention to custom made behemoths.. Supply - Demand. If there is demand, the supply will arrive. Prices go up, not down, on everything, for the most part, so there's that. It was certainly easier to get a razor lot at a low price 10 years ago. But if you don't want to collect or hoard you can do very well pretty quickly these days.

Based on my three years of experience, there is an endless stream of straight razors, the good ones come in waves, and patience is your friend.

I had been looking for a few Japanese near wedges for close to 1.5 years and then, bam, in less than 2 weeks I snagged 3.

Top Bottom