What's new

3D-printed R41 top caps discussion

Nice write up, Doc!

I had to take a day off. Shave #3 was fine, no irritation, but I needed more skin. To me, there is no better prep than a day off.

Based on Todd's and David's posts, I decided to give the steep angle another go with shave #4. I'm afraid I'm going to have to change my opinion from my earlier post. (That's allowed, right?! We're beta testers!) Steep definitely wins. Just as with the stock R41. I don't know what it is, it unnerves me, but it works. I can't argue with the results. I went basically steep through 3 passes, going shallow only when necessary for comfort or curves.

I tried shallow angle and buffing in the last shave, and it was not as effective. Probably why I needed a day off.

I only ordered the Hurricane, based on the descriptions. You guys will have to tell me if I "need" to try the Spitfire. I'm not sure how much better the experience could get. Right now, I'm extremely pleased with the performance of the Hurricane. If #6 plans on making the Hurricane in a plated brass, I'll be one of the first in line to buy. Hopefully with a matching base plate!

I'll be very interested to hear more about a direct comparison between the Hurricane and 2013 stock. It sounds like there "might" not be that much of a difference there? Will be interested to see how this plays out.

Another 4 shaves down - two shaves each Spitfire and Hurricane caps.

Success - I was able to notch down the touch pressure, and had a much easier time with both caps.

Spitfire - not rough now - if I shallow angle shave my neck on the first pass. The rest of the shave is comfortable steep or shallow angle.

Hurricane - comfortable everywhere steep or shallow angle.

One advantage - particular to these heads. Because the caps are thin, I can get the razor right above the hairline on my upper lip, and one pass down steep angle is all I need, no buffing. That is a first for me, and make me appreciate the thin caps.

Also on my chin - as mentioned before - one pass and I'm pretty much good to go with either cap. This is definitely different from the 2013 R41 stock.

Right now, I slightly prefer the Hurricane, just a bit more comfortable. I bet though, if the Spitfire is made from some type of metal - the flex will decrease and I will find it just as comfortable as the Hurricane.

As to comparison to the 2013 R41 ( I don't have the 2011 ). The shaves are definitely significantly closer. I have not been tempted by the original cap once since deliver of the Aimsport Cap Series... And with the Hurricane, steep angle shaving is just as comfortable, nudging ahead of the Spitfire cap here by a nose.

I am going to use these exclusively for another week to double check my impressions...

Doc, your succeeding shaves will get better and better... My crystal ball ( or was that Crystal Blades ) told me so!

Doc, your succeeding shaves will get better and better...

Really? The maiden voyage was already pretty impressive.

Earlier, I promised to perform a longevity check. I would use a credit card, but I really don't need to.
I assumed there would be no discernible difference, but I was wrong!
Much to my surprise, the Hurricane-2013 (left) actually beat the 2011 (right) side. However, this result should be viewed as a tie. I have done many side-by-side blade tests and I know from experience that the left side sometimes beats the right side just because I'm left-handed. To confirm the result, I need to perform the exact same test, but switch sides.
Because it was smoother during the shave, I thought that the Hurricane-2013 might have been a tiny bit less effective than the 2011. Instead, it is every bit as effective (and possibly more so, but I remain skeptical about this possibility).

I'll be very interested to hear more about a direct comparison between the Hurricane and 2013 stock. It sounds like there "might" not be that much of a difference there? Will be interested to see how this plays out.
They are like two entirely different razors. Or as Mark Twain put it: the difference between lightning and a lightning bug.

Much more blade exposure with the Hurricane cap vs a stock 2013. As long as you use a light touch, the Hurricane is an overall smoother and closer shaver than a stock 2013. IMO, YMMV, etc.

Really? The maiden voyage was already pretty impressive.
...Much to my surprise, the Hurricane-2013 (left) actually beat the 2011 (right) side...

See Doc, it's happening already!!!:wink2:

Matt - my experience too.:thumbup1:

Other than when I was traveling this summer, this is the longest time I have not used one of my ATT razors - that is saying a lot for this plastic cap R41 project! I really love me some ATT, but this Fr41nkenrazor has really piqued my interest! And no denying the 1+ pass results.
:shaving:

4 shaves in on each cap - and no weaknesses so far from the screw post or the cap plate. This acrylic is some tough stuff.!

Last edited:
Fellow testers:

Quid pro quo - I've learned a lot from your comments, and hope mine have been helpful.

I pulled out the Hurricane for the first time earlier in the week, but didn't get a great shave. Even a new Personna Lab Blue couldn't save a crummy lather that didn't last - it seems the XXX just suffocated in the Omega Boar Brush. What I did notice was that although not seemingly more comfortable than the Spitfire (or the R41s, for that matter), the Hurricane gave me a less close shave.

Undeterred, for shave two, I decided to go back to my trusty LA Shaving Stumpy and try out a new SAD purchase, Cold River Soap Works' Select Shaving Soap - Citrus. With 36 hours between shaves, I had a good growth going this morning (repeat THAT three times fast). The Stumpy and Soap Works combo produced a beautiful face lather - thick and rich, great cushion. The Hurricane, ready to upchuck the PLB blade after Shave One, was re-energized. And what a feeling - close, comfortable, maybe a tad less audible than the Spitfire. And although I can't make out any physical differences between the two caps, the Hurricane IMO doesn't feel at all like an R41 - it feels more like a RazoRock SLAB on steroids. I maintained mostly a steep angle throughout, but I shaved with more confidence than I usually do with an R41 - the sense was, perhaps all perception, that I had more leeway to screw up without getting hurt.

The final result, with two passes and some extensive touch-up (call it "an almost three"), was just a tad less close than the Spitfire, but still BBS. No weepers, no burn, just wonderful.

I can't say enough about the Cold River Citrus - it smells great, like an orange Pez, and hydrates beautifully. It's too soon to tell, but I might have a new favorite soap. I also broke out their Goat Milk shampoo bar for my morning shower, and it was terrific as well.

Here's the setup:
$Setup4.jpg

Todd R.

Nice report Todd! I agree a good lather is essential. I had a nice Hurricane shave this morning - I haven't noticed a big difference between the caps yet as far as close shaves go. I like your naming Stumpy!

Hurricane vs. 2011, shave #2.
I repeated my last experiment, but switched sides, so the Hurricane-2013 was on the right and the 2011 was on the left. The blades, Personna Med Preps, were the same.
Amazingly, both razors were a bit smoother than shave #1 , but the Hurricane was still the champion in this category.
In the first shave, the Hurricane actually beat the 2011 for closeness (i.e., duration of the shave) by a very small margin. This time, it was the other way around. So, as I suspected, it is really a tie in that department.
For me, the Hurricane is a noticeable improvement over either the 2013 or the 2011. It is closer than the former and smoother than the latter.
Not bad for a piece of plastic!:biggrin1:

Next up: Hurricane-2011 vs. stock 2013. This test will have to wait for a day or two ...

As we keep reminding ourselves that these caps are plastic, I'll just throw out there that as I usually do with all my razors, I loosen the cap to rinse the razor when I'm done shaving; and leave it loosened until the next shave.

I can't help but think that releasing the tension on these caps will help to mitigate shape fatigue or distortion. Not that any of us believe these to be heirlooms, just sayin.

Doc, great review comments!:thumbup1: Direct comparison with the 2011 and 2013 is priceless! Yes, not bad for a piece of plastic....

Good points Matt. I change between the two caps every other use. And tighten just enough to close.

For the first time I am noticing my morning shave with the Spitfire is lasting longer into the evening, very smooth. Longer than the Hurricane.

I don't think the difference is by much - a few hours growth at most.

I have to be a bit more careful with the Spitfire - I can still get a weeper or two if I lose focus. With an AstraSP on it's 4rth steep angle shave, the shave is very comfortable. Both of the caps bring a great feel to the razor.

Whether I can stay smooth shaven until 8pm or midnight does not make a material difference to me or my lifestyle. Both caps are at the top of my game right now. I am repeatedly surprised how short the stubble is during the next morning's shave.

The shaves have been very consistent, so I am going to choose some different blades. GSB, Personna Med Prep, gotta see what else is hiding in the drawer:001_rolle.

@Doc, I think you've inspired me to try a half-n-half shave using shallow angle on one side, and steep angle on the other. Just because.

@Todd, I can't believe how much of a difference the right soap makes. It's hard to imagine that I spent so many years shaving with leftover shower soap. Of course, before I found B&B, I thought I was the last man on earth using a DE and brush. HA! Not!

@David, I seem to follow a similar blade approach. I seem to always start with an Astra when testing out some new setup. It's such a great reference blade. When the dust settles, I'll move on to Polsilvers, Gillettes, etc.

Have I mentioned how much I love this thread?!

@Doc, I think you've inspired me to try a half-n-half shave using shallow angle on one side, and steep angle on the other. Just because.

@Todd, I can't believe how much of a difference the right soap makes. It's hard to imagine that I spent so many years shaving with leftover shower soap. Of course, before I found B&B, I thought I was the last man on earth using a DE and brush. HA! Not!

@David, I seem to follow a similar blade approach. I seem to always start with an Astra when testing out some new setup. It's such a great reference blade. When the dust settles, I'll move on to Polsilvers, Gillettes, etc.

Have I mentioned how much I love this thread?!

Matt - do I EVER love this thread. You guys have been a revelation, and I have to admit you've taken the experimentation a bit farther than I have!

I did take a night off from the R41, however. For my third Hurricane shave, I simply never got into the zone, and I just felt like my Personna Lab Blue wasn't giving me more than 2.5 good shaves. I did get a very close shave, but not exactly comfortable.

So for my recovery shave tonight, I loaded a British Wilkie (which has given me 15+ shaves previously) into a Parker 26C (excellent budget OC) and had a single pass of pure joy. Not near BBS, but totally good for work tomorrow. I wonder how the British Wilkie would work in the R41? You guys interested in a PIF, I can send you all some?

Todd

Matt - do I EVER love this thread. You guys have been a revelation, and I have to admit you've taken the experimentation a bit farther than I have!

I did take a night off from the R41, however. For my third Hurricane shave, I simply never got into the zone, and I just felt like my Personna Lab Blue wasn't giving me more than 2.5 good shaves. I did get a very close shave, but not exactly comfortable.

So for my recovery shave tonight, I loaded a British Wilkie (which has given me 15+ shaves previously) into a Parker 26C (excellent budget OC) and had a single pass of pure joy. Not near BBS, but totally good for work tomorrow. I wonder how the British Wilkie would work in the R41? You guys interested in a PIF, I can send you all some?

Todd

I thought I was going to take a day off today. Instead, I waited until halftime of the Panther-Buccaneer game and went for another showdown: Hurricane-2011 (left) vs. stock 2013 (right). I decided to load brand new Iridium Supers.
I am assuming that it really doesn't matter which baseplate I mate with Aimsport's caps. The 2013 was definitely smoother than the Hurricane-2011, but by a much smaller margin than I expected. There has not been enough time for me to determine longevity of the shave, but I suspect that the Hurricane-2011 will win in that category.
I will repeat the same test in a few days, but I will switch sides.

Ain't science fun? :w00t:

I'm enjoying the Hurricane quite a lot, but I confess that I am a little scared to try the Spitfire.:scared:

BTW, Todd, you should hold onto those UK Wilkies. They're very nice. I have a small stash myself!

Doc, no worries with the Spitfire cap, it's not TOO different than the Hurricane. I had a very comfortable shave with the Spitfire this morning. I know you can pilot this Spitfire! Good luck!

And I agree, Science is fun!!!

Last edited:
Much like Todd, I jumped ship for a shave. Ironically, prior to mucking about in this thread, Doc had answered my WTB for a 17mm NEW Deluxe. It showed up the same day as the Hurricane cap. I'm not going to go on about Gillette NEW's in this thread; that would be tacky. But after a couple of weeks in R41 land, it felt like running a stick of butter around my face.

Back to the topic at hand!
I caved and just ordered the Spitfire cap. I'm having too much fun. Need more fuel.

Using Doc as inspiration, I completed a half-steep, half-shallow shave today. Most interesting. Being my first side-by-side experiment, this is an extremely revealing practice. Shaving can be subjective, and variables can change so much from shave to shave, the side-by-side gives valuable comparative feedback before having the time to forget too much.

I'll say right up front, my entire face is smooth. Probably goes without saying. I think we'd all agree that we're talking about micro-differences with regard to descriptive terms. 'Closer,' 'smoother,' etc. I purposely used the steep angle on the side that has more trouble spots and more nefarious growth. For the first time since I can remember, that side of my face feels smoother.

My take-aways:
- I actually found myself wanting to start with a steeper angle, i.e. instinctively became my 'safe' starting angle. Odd. Would not have guessed that.
- Subjectively I thought that there was less stubble in repeat passes on the steep side, i.e. knocking more off earlier. I'll try switching sides to see if was just in my head.
- Even stranger... I kind of thought buffing was a tad smoother with the steep angle (touch up). Again, not something I would have said without using the techniques side by side.

I tried my last experiment again: Hurricane-2011 vs. stock 2013, but switched sides. Not surprisingly, the results were similar. What I noticed this time was the 2013's advantage in smoothness was smaller than the Hurricane's advantage in closeness.

Next up: Spitfire!

Goid one Doc. After 2 weeks of use the Hurricane feels as smooth as the 2013 to me. Maybe my skin is callousing?!

I have plateaued with both caps. They are both comfortable to use, I lean slightly towards the Hurricane. So far no problem with the head holding up to dis/reassembly and hot tap water dips. Aimsport, if this was a selling product, I would buy both both tomorrow. Thanks for a chance to check them out!

Good one Doc. After 2 weeks of use the Hurricane feels as smooth as the 2013 to me. Maybe my skin is callousing?!

I have plateaued with both caps. They are both comfortable to use, I lean slightly towards the Hurricane. So far no problem with the head holding up to dis/reassembly and hot tap water dips. Aimsport, if this was a selling product, I would buy both both tomorrow. Thanks for a chance to check them out!

First, I have also noticed that all of my shaves in this test (including the ones using stock R41s) have become smoother and smoother.
I have no explanation for this phenomenon. Certainly, this is not the first time that I have used R41s several times in one week.:blink:

Second, if the Hurricane (or something quite similar) is eventually made in metal, I would be quite interested. It is a significant improvement over both the 2011 and 2013. I know there are a lot of guys who will dispute this opinion because the 2011 is already perfect for them. Well, the R41-11 is definitely not perfect for me, but the Hurricane is mighty nice.
:thumbup1:

Top Bottom