What's new

3D-printed R41 top caps discussion

I know I'm late to the party here, but I just got my Hurricane and Spitfire caps for my 2013.
I loved the way it worked in stock form, so naturally I had to play around with it more, lol
Loaded up the Spitfire and went to work in my roughly 40 hour stubble- HOLY BANANAS!
Talk about aggressive!
Absolutely no stubble left but definitely took some battle damage.
You need to use zero pressure, like, none.

I'd say this cap is as big of a jump up in aggressiveness as the stock R41 is to a "regular" DE razor.

I may put this one away for a while and try out the Hurricane, I'll save the Spitfire for mowing down long whiskers when I have plenty of time and focus to work.

I'm thinking I like the hurricane, a lot! Need to get a few more shaves before deciding, but initially it seems to do exactly what it's reported to do.

Has anyone used one of these caps for a long time without it breaking? I am thinking of getting the Spitfire and Hurricane in the near future but if they are not very durable I might not....

I never liked mine as much as the stock cap. A lot of guys have been really liking the Yaqi DOC top cap with the R41, though I haven't picked one up yet.

I was looking at those Yaqi DOC razors the other day. They look nice, and very inexpensive too. Now there’s another reason to get one.

What is everyone's experience with the longevity of these caps? I'm thinking of purchasing a Hurricane cap and am wondering if I should go ahead and get 2.

I ended up getting a single Hurricane cap and am happy. I've used it off and on and think that I get my favorite efficient shave with it compared to a few other new efficient razors that I've acquired (an iKon Tech and a Gibbs adjustable). I think that I may have had my closest shave ever this morning with the Hurricane:

Pre Shave: Grooming Dept Cedarwood and Lime
Brush: Simpson Chubby 2 Super
Soap: Phoenix and Beau Albion
Razor: R41 (2013) + Hurricane cap
Blade: Polsilver SI (9)
After: ABC Almond Oil aftershave milk and Nancy Boy Replenishing AS gel

I've pushed the blade as far as I want to take it in this razor, so will start with a new one next outing.

A B&B member PIFed me a hurricane and a spitfire. One of 'em broke after one use, though I've no idea how old it was. I don't know how to identify which I still have. Can anyone tell me an easy way to identify one against the other?

Late to the party here, but I've got a question for anyone still subscribed to the thread: has anyone with the Spitfire cap compared it to the 2013 R41/Yaqi Mellon (DOC) cap combo?

The Mellon cap is about 18.5mm wide. I often use that combo. So, I'm curious as to a comparison re/quality of the shave.

Top Bottom