What's new

3D-printed R41 top caps discussion

My caps have shipped, but will not be here for a few days. Although I actually prefer the 2013, I am looking forward to my own tests with these caps.

Last edited:
Day 2 of the Spit '41.

Went for a run early this fine morning, and decided to shave before showering today. At least I have 24 hours' growth to work on, although given the fine job the razor did yesterday, even with a single pass, there wasn't a lot of growth to shave off.

Because I was still very warm after the run, I opted for a cold water shave. Playing up the Arctic motif, I went for my second try of HTGAM's Frost Byte. I had a little too much soap and too little water the first time I used this soap (paired with the wonderful OC Symmetry razor), so it had dried out too fast. This time, I added more water to the brush, loaded up LA Shaving's brush for less time, and was rewarded with a face lather of Razorockin' proportions.

For those of you who haven't experienced a cold water shave, particularly with the R41, it's quite a trip. My whiskers weren't particularly soft, but boy did that first pass mow them down, and I've never heard a DE make so much noise - it was, literally, like sandpaper. I suffered nicks at each corner of the mouth, nothing severe, simply not stretching the skin. Everything else was trouble-free.

I completed a single pass, but today finished with some slight touch up on my chin and neck. Again I was in DFS territory, mostly only lacking in the upper lip area.

Going for the Full Monty with the cold motif, I finished with Fine's Snake Bite. If that sounds somewhat masochistic, I actually felt absolutely no sting, just the bracing effect of the methanol crystals. I don't always use alcohol-based aftershaves because they can dry out my skin, but when I do, Fine's Bite is one I frequently reach for.

The layout, for the visually inclined:
$Setup2.jpg

Todd R.

OK, here we go...

Received the Spitfire and Hurricane caps Wed. The fit and finish on each of the caps are excellent. The Spitfire cap feels slightly flexible to the hands, the Hurricane cap feels rigid. Screwing the handle on gives a feeling of tight fitting threads, just a bit of friction and give. Twisting gently I feel the handle meet the baseplate, and leave it there. The handle is visually right up against the baseplate. I did not try to tighten more than this with either cap. Mechanics-wise, the caps appear durable.

I now have 2 shaves each. Both caps shave significantly closer than my 2013 R41. With short one day's growth after a close shave with any of ATT / R41 / Fasan Slant, I can go straight to a XTG or ATG pass, if I have a good prep, and enjoy a one or two pass shave.

Sink full of hot water. Prep is a good pre-shave lather with Le Blanc Shea Soap - a soap I found while in gay Paree this summer, I had no idea soaps could be this slick - rewetting if the soap looks to dry out while I prep the lather and razor. I am using a Simpson Chubby 2 two band, and face lathering with either DR Harris Arlington or LASS Topanga Fougére.

For blades I am using Super Iridium, AstraSP, and Rapira so far. I plan to try Personna Red and Med Prep, GSB too.

First shaves with each cap, steep angle, I had a hand full of nicks and a couple weepers. Very close 2 pass shave, BBS nearly everywhere.

Shallow angle on the second shave I had a few nicks with the Spitfire, one with the Hurricane. Two passes on the neck, one pass everywhere else. These caps make the R41 tremendously efficient. Only thing more efficient than this would be permanent hair removal! :blink:

The Spitfire shave feels the closest while I am shaving. Post shave smoothness and longevity seem the same for both caps.

The Spitfire feels a bit harsh, I need to further reduce hand pressure. The Hurricane shave feels more comfortable.

I like each cap, I need to use them more to get to know them well. I suspect once I get the hand pressure down another notch I will be able to return to steep angle on the cheeks and upper lip, shallow angle everywhere else.

#6, I predict you have a winner of a project here. :thumbup: I am quite surprised that difficult areas on my chin feel as smooth as my cheeks after one pass - not so easy to do. If you came out with a metal cap and baseplate along these designs that shave this way, I would wait in line to buy one:thumbup1:

Last edited:
David...I meant to compliment you on a terrific review! Notice you're in the Bay Area too. I guess we left coasters can't get a close enough DE shave!

Thanks for the compliment Todd!

I blame my wet shave experience on Co*c*st, and that Rick Harrison advertisement for the MicroTouch One DE razor. I frequently fall asleep with the TV on, and I know this got pumped into my mind as I slept. Last Dec 28th I developed a hankerin' for DE shaving out of the clear blue sky, and here we are now... Shimming and hacking R41s :lol:

DE shaving did bring back memories of my father wet shaving when I was very young. Before he succumbed to the hype of canned foam and multi-blade heads... which drove him to cheap electric razors:closedeye... and shaving as a boring chore...

Of course I recently told him I wet shave and thanks for the memories...

Whoops - excuse the TMI :001_rolle...

Back on topic:
I would bet a week's pay that the MicroTouch One commercial influenced a lot of new users' impulse razor shopping.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Received my Hurricane last Wed right before heading out on a camping trip. Only managed one shave on it before leaving. While I have no experience with the '11 R41, I had been shaving the '13 all week in anticipation of comparing it with the Hurricane when it arrived.

For someone with no '11 experience, all I can say is WOW! That thing is a straight with a handle. It gives new meaning to "no pressure." Like... seriously, you do not want to apply any pressure.

I don't want to give the impression that it was scary or anything. I survived with zero nicks/cuts/weepers/burn. It was like a walk in the park. I need to run it a few more times to get to know it. Mostly BBS, but it didn't last long. I was playing it safe, but not too safe. I wanted to buff to BBS, and I got pretty much there. I'll be weighing in more in this thread.

I love this stuff. Experimenting with new razor designs... sign me up! :001_smile

Obligatory pics: (vs. 2013)
apologies, my phone thinks black is purple
$hurricane_v_2013r41.jpg

Hi all,

Received my Hurricane last Wed right before heading out on a camping trip. Only managed one shave on it before leaving. While I have no experience with the '11 R41, I had been shaving the '13 all week in anticipation of comparing it with the Hurricane when it arrived.

For someone with no '11 experience, all I can say is WOW! That thing is a straight with a handle. It gives new meaning to "no pressure." Like... seriously, you do not want to apply any pressure.
I love this stuff. Experimenting with new razor designs... sign me up! :001_smile

View attachment 490706

I absolutely love that last picture. You can see right through the cap! Anyway, I am looking forward to receiving my own pair of caps and to more reports! Thanks to Matt, David, and Todd (so far).

Back again with my second shave on the Hurricane. Running late for dinner with the in-laws, so best I could do with a 2- pass shave. (I know I'm not giving you guys the review you deserve, but I'm giddy with excitement trying out a new toy.)

Also the second shave on that Astra SP. Either the blade had a chance to calm down, or I did. This shave was like butter. I'm still not really pushing this setup to full-on BBS, but I can see it on the horizon. Other than reducing pressure, I'm really not throwing anything new into the technique, and I'm not getting any nicks or cuts or irritation. Which is somewhat surprising me, because the '13 had a tendency to bite me when I wasn't careful. (Side note: I may be reaching for a Tuckaway handle soon, as my grip is down to a thumb, a finger, and a wine-tasting pinky.)

I should probably mention that I'm not necessarily the biggest fan of the R41 '13. Not a hater, not complaining about it; just wasn't as thrilled as most users with it to lure me away from the Gillette News. I only mention this as my hopes with the 3-D printed caps was that they'd renew my interest in the R41. Well, the Hurricane has got my attention.

In a nutshell, the difference for me is that I'm back to a shallower angle with the Hurricane. Something I'm more comfortable with physically and psychologically. I'm very interested to see the angle approach others here try and the feedback provided.

PS - if you like audible feedback, you're going to love these caps. They sing like a fat lady.

^ Nice one Matt! I'm finding the shallow angle approach more forgiving too...:a17:

And thanks for the kind appreciation Doc!!!:a14:

My caps arrived today. They look exactly the same except that the Hurricane is a tad thicker than the Spitfire. Being old and with poor close-up vision, I would like an obvious way to tell them apart. If you look closely, mixed in with all of the other numbers that are the same, the Hurricane has "3000" in the same place that the Spitfire has "700" (easy to remember because both Spitfire and 700 start with "s"). Presumably this number refers to each cap's center thickness. Can't they be made in different colors or something?
Anyway, I do not have time to try them Wednesday morning, but on Thursday, I plan to compare the Hurricane-R41-13 to a regular R41-11 in a side-by-side test.
Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Day 3 on the Spitfire.

With the holiday offering an extra day of leisure, I skipped a Monday shave and went for a 48-hour effort on Tuesday morning.

I used the same Personna Lab Blue blade (shave #3), along with the XXX shaving soap. This time I switched out the brush, opting for a more substantial Omega (I believe boar bristle).

I went back to a hot water shave, and made sure to provide some extra face prep time to account for the additional beard growth. This, again, was a pre-shower effort. The XXX lathered beautifully although the brush was very wet, so I worked the lather a bit longer on my face to ensure I had enough slickness (fewer bubbles).

The audible feedback on the WTG pass blew out the decibel meter. I couldn't believe how loud it was, even compared to the previous shaves, which I assumed were unbeatably noisy. This time, given the 2-day wait, I opted for a complete WTG on the first pass, followed by a combo XTG/ATG on the second pass. The first pass was amazingly efficient, although I did get a neck weeper that I didn't feel. The second pass opened up a small nick in the middle of my chin - since I was careful with angle/alignment, I attributed this to possible blade degradation even on only the third shave. I also sensed the blade fighting the beard a bit, although there wasn't any noticeable pulling. (Aside: I can usually coax six or more great shaves with the Lab Blues, inserted into other razors.)

I did some final touch-up and was done. That "waxy BBS" that the Muhle R41 can offer was in full display, and although I didn't use an aftershave (going right to the shower after), the application of a Nivea Men's Moisturizer after revealed no redness, no sign of the nick, and only total comfort.

Final note on angles, since other testers are mentioning it. I'm really going steep on the WTG efforts, and shallower on the XTG/ATG efforts. This seems to provide me with the closest, most comfortable shave.

Next shave will be with the Hurricane, which is supposed to provide a good contrast in terms of experience without any loss in closeness.

Picture of today's getup:
$Setup3.jpg

Todd R.

Disclaimer: I prefer the R41-13 to the 2011 version, which I find to be rough and unpleasant. So, why would I buy something that is designed to make my 2013 worse (i.e., more like a 2011)? As my son says: "go hard or go home."
Today I loaded identical Personna Med Prep blades into my 2013 (with Hurricane cap) and into a stock 2011. Both had Weber bulldog handles. I shaved the left side of my face with the 2013 Hurricane and the right side with the 2011.
Because I find all R41s to be rough, I used my Savile Row silvertip, which is so pillowy soft that it makes any shave more pleasant.

I am very pleased to report that the difference is quite noticeable. The Hurricane was much smoother (less rough) than the 2011, perhaps on a par with a stock 2013 (more testing needed on that point). So far, I am unable to tell any difference in shave quality. I will check for longevity in 8-10 hours.

Tentative bottom line: I am very impressed with the Hurricane. Despite having a blade exposure that appears identical to the 2011, it is a much more pleasant shaving experience.

I have so many experiments I want to do! The first one might be 2011-Hurricane vs. stock 2013. I only have one each of the 2011 and 2013 R41s, so some of my testing won't be side-by-side.

Despite some roughness during the shave, all R41s always deliver for me an amazingly close and irritation-free shave. I will use a medium razor tomorrow and then try another R41 experiment on Saturday.

Interesting, Doc.

What I want to know is, what's the 2013 with the Spitfire cap like, and how does it compare to a stock 2011. Someone correct me if I am wrong ( I think even #6 could comment on this, but I am not sure about Hobbyist rules) but the Hurricane is meant to tame the 2011 a bit, or what?

Because if it is meant to tame the 2013, I see no need for that. The 2013 is smooth enough on my face, and efficient of course.

What I really, really want to know is how does the Spitfire change the 2013, compared to a stock 2011.

Thanks to all once again, it's being very interesting so far.

Interesting, Doc.

What I want to know is, what's the 2013 with the Spitfire cap like, and how does it compare to a stock 2011. Someone correct me if I am wrong ( I think even #6 could comment on this, but I am not sure about Hobbyist rules) but the Hurricane is meant to tame the 2011 a bit, or what?

Because if it is meant to tame the 2013, I see no need for that. The 2013 is smooth enough on my face, and efficient of course.

What I really, really want to know is how does the Spitfire change the 2013, compared to a stock 2011.

Thanks to all once again, it's being very interesting so far.

Both caps are intended to make the 2013 more like a 2011, if I understand No. 6 correctly. The Hurricane is a tiny bit thicker and therefore less flexible. The result is greater blade stability in the Hurricane.

Both caps are intended to make the 2013 more like a 2011, if I understand No. 6 correctly. The Hurricane is a tiny bit thicker and therefore less flexible. The result is greater blade stability in the Hurricane.

So the Hurricane corrects the blade chattering that some people reported ( 2011 ). Hmmm ... interesting.

Ok ... Thanks for the clarification, Doc. I'll keep following attentively. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom